Professional Web Applications Themes

What do I give up using Elements instead of Photoshop? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Other than the ability to do serious print work, what else am I giving up by going with Elements instead of Photoshop? My primary work is the web so I don't need features that I won't use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cliff...

  1. #1

    Default What do I give up using Elements instead of Photoshop?

    Other than the ability to do serious print work, what else am I giving up by going with Elements instead of Photoshop?

    My primary work is the web so I don't need features that I won't use.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Cliff
    Cliff Etzel Guest

  2. #2

    In article <1dea34b9.-1WebX.la2eafNXanI>, Cliff Etzel
    <cliffbluedigitalmedia.com> wrote:
    > Other than the ability to do serious print work, what else am I giving up by
    > going with Elements instead of Photoshop?
    >
    > My primary work is the web so I don't need features that I won't use.
    Curves and proper masks are the things that I miss most. And that's
    only after switching from Photoshop LE not from the full Photoshop.
    There are workarounds for masks (some pretty good) but I'm not sure
    about curves. Lesser things, from my point of view, are inability to
    manage RGB channels separately and to embed and match colour profiles
    other than sRGB and Adobe RGB though you can do these things with
    Applescript if you're using a Mac.

    There must be loads of other things missing too but since I don't miss
    them I couldn't say.

    Elements is still a very competent image manipulation package for all
    that's missing from it.
    Peter Gaunt Guest

  3. #3

    And the biggest thing it's got going for it, if you can get along without some of the more advanced features, is the price. The last time I looked, full Photoshop was $600, and you can often get Elements through Amazon for under $50AR. If you don't have either, buying a copy of Elements wouldn't be a major investment. Or you could download the trial version and use it for 30 days to see if it can do what you need. Just remember that if you decide to buy it, you've really GOT to uninstall the trial version before installing the other one, whether you purchase by download or by CD.
    Beth Haney Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, and it should be pointed out that a curves tool for PE can be downloaded for free from a third party site.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1dea34b9.2WebX.la2eafNXanI>, Barbara Brundage
    <memberadobeforums.com> wrote:
    > Yes, and it should be pointed out that a curves tool for PE can be downloaded
    > for free from a third party site.
    Oh, yeh? Where's that? Do tell! Please!
    Peter Gaunt Guest

  6. #6

    Peter, here's one site for Curves, layer masks, etc.:

    [url]http://member.melbpc.org.au/~pshipley/Download.htm[/url]

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  7. #7

    The links <http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Links.html> page of Grant's challenge site gives links to several resources that will immensely add to the usefulness of PE.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  8. #8

    They're also available from the Adobe Studio Exchange <http://share.studio.adobe.com/axBrowseSubmit.asp?t=12>.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  9. #9

    Peter,

    <http://www.geocities.com/rnlnero/PE2stuff2.html>

    Here is another 3rd party developer who offers curves, actions and about 50 other add-ons for PSE....all free. I have them and use them all the time
    Nancy S Guest

  10. #10

    And Nancy's suggestion is compatible with Richard Lynch's tools. So nothing
    to be worry, you can have both :)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  11. #11

    Has anyone tried the batch/macro automation features in PS7? I am happy with PSE's adjustments, but its taking way too long to scan & fix all my old Kodachromes. Much of my PSE work seems the same & I pine for better batch tools for some of the steps (rotate all portrait shots, autocontrast with clipping control, expand canvas for captions, unsharp mask, save as...). PS7 books devote about 0.1% to automation, so I'm not sure enough to shell out big bucks. Thanks for any advice.

    Carl
    Carl Wegner Guest