Professional Web Applications Themes

What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses? - Photography

What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses? Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere....

  1. #1

    Default What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?

    What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?

    Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.
    paul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:47:30 -0800, paul <paulnot.net> wrote:
    >What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    >
    >Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.
    Internal Focus. With IF lenses, the front element does not change
    position while focusing. (The focal length does change, but that's
    another story).

    --
    Michael Benveniste -- [email]mhb-offerclearether.com[/email]

    Michael Benveniste Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Benveniste wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:47:30 -0800, paul <paulnot.net> wrote:
    >
    >>What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    >>Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.
    >

    > Internal Focus. With IF lenses, the front element does not change
    > position while focusing. (The focal length does change, but that's
    > another story).

    Hmm so what difference does this make in the real world?

    I got a Nikon AF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED but when I google that all I see
    is the same thing with IF added. I didn't get a lense hood is the only
    difference I noticed. The lense does not rotate when I focus, did they
    just forget to print IF on it?
    paul Guest

  4. #4

    "paul" <paulnot.net> wrote in message
    > What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    >
    > Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.
    IF=Internal Focus, not all lenses are IF. IF lenses barrells don't rotate
    nor do the lenses get longer as you focus closer.

    Darrell Guest

  5. #5

    On 2005-01-02, paul <paulnot.net> wrote:
    > What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    "Internal focus for fast AF operation" (first google hit, then clicked
    on an IF lense
    [url]http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1940[/url]).

    /Allan
    Allan Wind Guest

  6. #6

    paul wrote:
    > Hmm so what difference does this make in the real world?
    Non-rotating front elements make it much easier to use such filters as
    polarizers and rectangular split NDs.

    Doug Payne Guest

  7. #7

    paul <paulnot.net> writes:
    > Michael Benveniste wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:47:30 -0800, paul <paulnot.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    > >>Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.
    > > Internal Focus. With IF lenses, the front element does not change
    > > position while focusing. (The focal length does change, but that's
    > > another story).
    >

    > Hmm so what difference does this make in the real world?
    >
    > I got a Nikon AF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED but when I google that all I
    > see is the same thing with IF added. I didn't get a lense hood is the
    > only difference I noticed. The lense does not rotate when I focus, did
    > they just forget to print IF on it?
    The non rotating while focussing is a complete red herring. It is
    solely about whether the lens assembly changes length.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  8. #8

    Bruce Murphy wrote:
    > paul <paulnot.net> writes:
    >
    > The non rotating while focussing is a complete red herring. It is
    > solely about whether the lens assembly changes length.
    It does not change length when focusing, only when zooming.

    paul Guest

  9. #9

    Bruce Murphy wrote:
    > The non rotating while focussing is a complete red herring. It is
    > solely about whether the lens assembly changes length.
    If you use pol-filters or 'Cokin' filter holders, a non rotating front element
    is a blessing, neigh, a neccesity.

    --
    -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm[/url]
    -- r.p.d.slr-systems: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm[/url]

  10. #10

    Alan Browne <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:
    > Bruce Murphy wrote:
    >
    > > The non rotating while focussing is a complete red herring. It is
    > > solely about whether the lens assembly changes length.
    >
    > If you use pol-filters or 'Cokin' filter holders, a non rotating front
    > element is a blessing, neigh, a neccesity.
    While this is true, really doesn't have much to do with the IF being
    discussed.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  11. #11

    Michael Benveniste wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:47:30 -0800, paul <paulnot.net> wrote:
    >
    > >What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    > >
    > >Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.
    >
    > Internal Focus. With IF lenses, the front element does not change
    > position while focusing. (The focal length does change, but that's
    > another story).
    does that mean that the lens does not have to pump air in and out
    as it is zoomed and focused?

    > --
    > Michael Benveniste -- [email]mhb-offerclearether.com[/email]
    > Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $419. Use this email
    > address only to submit mail for evaluation.
    Crownfield Guest

  12. #12

    "paul" <paulnot.net> wrote in message
    > What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?

    It means IF you're lucky you might get a worthwhile picture.

    Tyrone Laces Guest

  13. #13

    "Crownfield" <net> wrote in message

    The lens still has to move air around as it repositions element
    groups. I would guess that IF lenses pump _less_ air in and out,
    but I doubt that they are truly isolated from outside air.

    --
    Michael Benveniste -- com

    Michael Guest