Professional Web Applications Themes

What extensions do you suggest I have at the ready? - Macromedia Exchange Dreamweaver Extensions

Hi, I've just started properly studying Dreamweaver 8 after using Golive (6.01 - CS2) for a couple of years. I'm not a pro but expect to do some part-time work here and there and want to start using DW for most things from now on. So which extensions should I definately have at the ready? I would like to buy a few and get a discount but haven't seen a good deal as yet to be able to do just that. Which ones do you recommend please? I like to learn and build anything from Flash sites to CSS (which ...

  1. #1

    Default What extensions do you suggest I have at the ready?

    Hi,
    I've just started properly studying Dreamweaver 8 after using Golive (6.01 -
    CS2) for a couple of years.

    I'm not a pro but expect to do some part-time work here and there and want to
    start using DW for most things from now on.

    So which extensions should I definately have at the ready? I would like to buy
    a few and get a discount but haven't seen a good deal as yet to be able to do
    just that.

    Which ones do you recommend please? I like to learn and build anything from
    Flash sites to CSS (which I am currently teaching myself).

    Of course I have looked at the DW Exchange but wanted to hear a few opinions
    and advice from people here based on your experience and how often you use them?

    Thanks.

    Grant.

    a little ant Guest

  2. #2

    If you're going to be going into dynamic sites and especially if you are a
    code novice, I heartily recommend the UltraSuite at
    [url]http://www.ultrasuite.com[/url]. Comes in nearly every server model .. makes
    operations a breeze .. and you can combine several of them to create as
    simple or complex an application as you like.

    For menus, I would recommend Pop Menu Magic at [url]http://www.projectseven.com[/url]
    and for a cool tabbed interface, the Complete CSS menu by TJK Designs and
    Kaosweaver, available at
    [url]http://www.kaosweaver.com/extensions/details.php?id=76&cid=14[/url].

    There are a few other little ones like Lorem & More for putting in quick
    text, available at the Dreamweaver Exchange, that I use, but for the most
    part, that's about it.

    --
    Nancy Gill
    Team Macromedia Member: Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev

    "a little ant" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've just started properly studying Dreamweaver 8 after using Golive
    (6.01 -
    > CS2) for a couple of years.
    >
    > I'm not a pro but expect to do some part-time work here and there and
    want to
    > start using DW for most things from now on.
    >
    > So which extensions should I definately have at the ready? I would like
    to buy
    > a few and get a discount but haven't seen a good deal as yet to be able to
    do
    > just that.
    >
    > Which ones do you recommend please? I like to learn and build anything
    from
    > Flash sites to CSS (which I am currently teaching myself).
    >
    > Of course I have looked at the DW Exchange but wanted to hear a few
    opinions
    > and advice from people here based on your experience and how often you use
    them?

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Grant.

    Nancy Gill Guest

  3. #3

    Here is a list of DW extension developer sites:
    [url]http://www.dwfaq.com/Resources/Extensions/default.asp[/url]
    Alot of these are not on the MM Exchange.

    We have some you can take a look at too..

    --
    Regards,
    ...Trent Pastrana

    Things Dreamweaver
    eZeeGallery | iFrameSuite | MiniMenus | Scrollers | More...

    "a little ant" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've just started properly studying Dreamweaver 8 after using Golive
    > (6.01 -
    > CS2) for a couple of years.
    >
    > I'm not a pro but expect to do some part-time work here and there and want
    > start using DW for most things from now on.
    >
    > So which extensions should I definately have at the ready? I would like to
    > buy
    > a few and get a discount but haven't seen a good deal as yet to be able to
    > do
    > just that.
    >
    > Which ones do you recommend please? I like to learn and build anything
    > from
    > Flash sites to CSS (which I am currently teaching myself).
    >
    > Of course I have looked at the DW Exchange but wanted to hear a few
    > opinions
    > and advice from people here based on your experience and how often you use
    > them?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Grant.

    T.Pastrana - 4Level Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Nancy and Trent,

    The Ultrasuite page isn't up or ready at the moment. In fact what is the
    definition of a dynamic site? One where the page or site brings in info and
    data from other external references or technologies? (I haven't even got round
    to thinking about php/xml and all that other stuff to learn. Still studying
    with flash. html and CSS and now DW at the moment.)
    I do like the pop menu magic menu and was hoping for a discount if i bought a
    few things from that site.

    That said - I too like your scrollers Trent and your site design. I first saw
    your site after reading the page source on a friends website using one of your
    scrollers .. [url]http://hoosierdaddyfilms.com[/url]

    I notice your tutorial section says some new tutorials are coming soon. If you
    could put a tutorial explaining how your site page was made in DW - I'd buy
    your ezee scroller just to say Thanks. (You could hold me to that too, although
    I appreciate they are not expensive in the first place).

    Thanks both of you.

    a little ant Guest

  5. #5

    > The Ultrasuite page isn't up or ready at the moment.
    It works for me.

    In fact what is the
    > definition of a dynamic site? One where the page or site brings in info
    and
    > data from other external references or technologies? (I haven't even got
    round
    > to thinking about php/xml and all that other stuff to learn. Still
    studying
    > with flash. html and CSS and now DW at the moment.)
    Yes, a dynamic or data driven site is usually composed of just a few pages
    that then get content from a database so that hundreds of similar pages are
    created dynamically each from the same actual page, but with different
    information inserted, according to the database record selected.
    > I do like the pop menu magic menu and was hoping for a discount if i
    bought a
    > few things from that site.
    I like it too .. don't know about a discount .. you would have to ask them.

    Good luck!

  6. #6

    Thanks, There's nothing really special about our site design. Most of it is
    an illusion with the background image. A nav bar with absolutely positioned
    divs and a simple CSS-P design ( which needs tweaking for IE5 :-). The
    tutorials are coming but we have been pretty busy. Feel free to download the
    page and play with it and even use the layout files. We're due for a site
    re-design anyway.

    Regards,
    ...Trent Pastrana
    [url]www.fourlevel.com[/url]

    > Thanks Nancy and Trent,
    >
    > The Ultrasuite page isn't up or ready at the moment. In fact what is the
    > definition of a dynamic site? One where the page or site brings in info
    > and
    > data from other external references or technologies? (I haven't even got
    > round
    > to thinking about php/xml and all that other stuff to learn. Still
    > studying
    > with flash. html and CSS and now DW at the moment.)
    > I do like the pop menu magic menu and was hoping for a discount if i
    > bought a
    > few things from that site.
    >
    > That said - I too like your scrollers Trent and your site design. I first
    > saw
    > your site after reading the page source on a friends website using one of
    > your
    > scrollers .. [url]http://hoosierdaddyfilms.com[/url]
    >
    > I notice your tutorial section says some new tutorials are coming soon. If
    > you
    > could put a tutorial explaining how your site page was made in DW - I'd
    > buy
    > your ezee scroller just to say Thanks. (You could hold me to that too,
    > although
    > I appreciate they are not expensive in the first place).
    >
    > Thanks both of you.

    T.Pastrana - 4Level Guest

  7. #7

    "a little ant" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've just started properly studying Dreamweaver 8 after using Golive
    > (6.01 -
    > CS2) for a couple of years.
    >
    > I'm not a pro but expect to do some part-time work here and there and want
    > start using DW for most things from now on.
    >
    > So which extensions should I definately have at the ready? I would like to
    > buy
    > a few and get a discount but haven't seen a good deal as yet to be able to
    > do
    > just that.
    >
    > Which ones do you recommend please? I like to learn and build anything
    > from
    > Flash sites to CSS (which I am currently teaching myself).
    >
    > Of course I have looked at the DW Exchange but wanted to hear a few
    > opinions
    > and advice from people here based on your experience and how often you use
    > them?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Grant.

    twocans Guest

  8. #8

    the best sites for extensions and some form of supprt are (not in no order)

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.ultrasuite.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.interaktonline.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.dwfaq.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.fourlevel.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.kaosweaver.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.flevooware.nl[/url]
    [url]http://www.felixone.it[/url]

    the above are sites I have purchased from and got very good support from.I
    do have to mention thought that one has to have some idea as to what the
    issue is before asking for support.as in if you think you can buy an
    extension and that bingo all will be done for you atthe click of a button
    then you are wrong, some interaction and understanding by the user is
    needed.

    regards

    Kenny

    "a little ant" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Nancy and Trent,
    >
    > The Ultrasuite page isn't up or ready at the moment. In fact what is the
    > definition of a dynamic site? One where the page or site brings in info
    > and
    > data from other external references or technologies? (I haven't even got
    > round
    > to thinking about php/xml and all that other stuff to learn. Still
    > studying
    > with flash. html and CSS and now DW at the moment.)
    > I do like the pop menu magic menu and was hoping for a discount if i
    > bought a
    > few things from that site.
    >
    > That said - I too like your scrollers Trent and your site design. I first
    > saw
    > your site after reading the page source on a friends website using one of
    > your
    > scrollers .. [url]http://hoosierdaddyfilms.com[/url]
    >
    > I notice your tutorial section says some new tutorials are coming soon. If
    > you
    > could put a tutorial explaining how your site page was made in DW - I'd
    > buy
    > your ezee scroller just to say Thanks. (You could hold me to that too,
    > although
    > I appreciate they are not expensive in the first place).
    >
    > Thanks both of you.

    twocans Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks Nancy, Trent and Kenny.

    Sorry Nancy, there is an extra period / full-stop in the url link you supplied
    and I didn't notice it in my browser the couple of times i tried it. I'll check
    out that site.
    Trent, Thanks, I simply need to learn more about CSS (amongst other obvious
    things to you pro's.) and I like sites that expand in the browser like yours
    does. I appreciate it often simply means using a table or something set to
    percentage as opposed to pixels but I have yet to sit down and study and do a
    couple of designs of my own, where a small graphic stretches or repeats to give
    the illusion it goes accross the screen..
    Kenny, Thanks for those links. I appreciate the need for knowledge. I don't
    mind asking on these forums but wouldn't want to impose on third party support
    until I'd atleast studied the full doentation for the extension.

    In Golive I used the layout grid which was quite good and then started getting
    used to the drag on CSS objects to build a css page. Now I need to get used to
    layers, using a background trace and all the other Dreamweaver ways of doing
    things. (not necessarily css)

    Thanks three of you!

    Grant.

    a little ant Guest

  10. #10

    Hey litlte ant

    Looking at the Ultra Suite you will see that besides the productivity stuff
    its mainly......... and repetetive ( send one mail if page loads, send 2
    mails if page loads, send 3 mails .... you get the idea) Nancy just
    advertises it because she loves JS and he always gladly returns the favor
    because he is usually horny.Support is not the best.

    Trents (4level) stuff is great also, support is 1a. He sometimes answers
    before you even asked a question.

    I would NOT buy anything from DMX Zone Support is NONEXISTANT as you will
    figure out quickly if you have a problem. Just look at the "message board"
    they have.

    Everything from webassist.com is nice Support is OK

    Interakt Stuff is great, a little restrictive and support is good

    P7 Stuff is nice but expensive. Mainly CSS

    Peter Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:15:16 -0500, Peter wrote:

    ....snip

    No flame at all intended, just my own totally subjective experiences.
    > Looking at the Ultra Suite you will see that besides the productivity stuff
    > its mainly......... and repetetive ( send one mail if page loads, send 2
    > mails if page loads, send 3 mails .... you get the idea) Nancy just
    > advertises it because she loves JS and he always gladly returns the favor
    > because he is usually horny.Support is not the best.
    Ultra Suite - any buyer should be aware that whatever it is they are
    selling is strictly beta at the moment. I bought it based a week or two
    ago based on Nancy's recommendation (Thanks, Nancy) and the really nice
    feature set, but I have yet to receive it. It was supposed to be released
    yesterday according to an email I received from them, but nothing so far.
    No complaints about the beta part, but they ought to let you know BEFORE
    you send them your credit card info.

    ....snip
    > I would NOT buy anything from DMX Zone Support is NONEXISTANT as you will
    > figure out quickly if you have a problem. Just look at the "message board"
    > they have.
    Ditto. Community MX is better - not that much, but better. They seem to
    get better authors and you can always ask the authors questions directly.
    Linda R-S writes for them

    ....snip
    > Interakt Stuff is great, a little restrictive and support is good
    I would say it is almost non-existant. I bought the Dreamweaver Pro
    upgrade from them and still don't have their extension suite they promised.
    I've sent them three emails. However a year or two ago I asked them some
    questions about one of their products I bought and got a LOT of help.
    > P7 Stuff is nice but expensive. Mainly CSS
    I think P7 stuff is the absolute best and not just CSS, but Javascript as
    well, and their design abilities are by far superior to anything else. I
    have NEVER been disappointed with anything I've bought there and I've
    bought just about everything they offer. With the addition of Linda R-S, I
    think they are unstoppable. I have bought their page packs just to see how
    they're put together. NOBODY beats their support. I'm not trying to
    butter them up, that's really the truth - ask anyone who's used their
    products.
    --

    Larry
    email is rapp at lmr dot com

  12. #12

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:15:16 -0500, Peter wrote:
    > Interakt Stuff is great, a little restrictive and support is good
    I would say it is almost non-existant. I bought the Dreamweaver Pro
    upgrade from them and still don't have their extension suite they promised.
    I've sent them three emails. However a year or two ago I asked them some
    questions about one of their products I bought and got a LOT of help.
    > P7 Stuff is nice but expensive. Mainly CSS
    I think P7 stuff is the absolute best and not just CSS, but Javascript as
    well, and their design abilities are by far superior to anything else. I
    have NEVER been disappointed with anything I've bought there and I've
    bought just about everything they offer. With the addition of Linda R-S, I
    think they are unstoppable. I have bought their page packs just to see how
    they're put together. NOBODY beats their support. I'm not trying to
    butter them up, that's really the truth - ask anyone who's used their
    products.

    Just want to add my voice to the P7 fan club!! Grant, using one of their
    designs is a fantastic way to learn about CSS and the doentation is
    excellent. Amazing support, too :)

    Mind you, I've bought more than half their product list but never got a
    discount (hint, Al??!) :P

    FourLevel's also brilliant and Trent's really helpful.

    I use masses of Interakt extensions, but they're both expensive and difficult
    to get to grips with. As you are still learning to code, I wouldn't think you'd
    like them much - but take a look at Kaosweaver's dynamic extensions, they're
    well designed & many are free!

    Enjoy your learning curve (it never stops) :D

    Cherry.

    Cherryaa Guest