Professional Web Applications Themes

What fonts get installed in CS2 - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Group, First let me say I haven't used Illustrator for several mnths and seem to have forgotten most of what I'd managed to pickup or learn. I have CS and CS2 installed. It seems I used to have quite a few more fonts available when I last used Illustrator. Just now I accessed the list of fonts from the character palette drop down list and counted 31. Is that about normal for a stock install? Also I remember having downloaded a bonus package of Garamond[sp] fonts related to my upgrade purhcase of CS2, but have lost track of them or ...

  1. #1

    Default What fonts get installed in CS2

    Group,

    First let me say I haven't used Illustrator for several mnths and seem to have forgotten most of what I'd managed to pickup or learn.
    I have CS and CS2 installed. It seems I used to have quite a few more fonts available when I last used Illustrator.

    Just now I accessed the list of fonts from the character palette drop down list and counted 31. Is that about normal for a stock install?

    Also I remember having downloaded a bonus package of Garamond[sp] fonts related to my upgrade purhcase of CS2, but have lost track of them or lost them on a reinstall.

    So ... two questions..:
    Are the 31 fonts about normal for a stock install?
    Can I get more fonts from online sources for free or minimal cost?
    Harry_Putnam@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What fonts get installed in CS2

    Look under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts. I count 180 OpenType fonts in that folder. There are several more Type 1 fonts in the Reqrd subfolder.

    These fonts only show up in my IllustratorCS2 installation. I haven't got around to moving them to another folder and installing the ones I use often in Adobe Type Manager.

    I suppose the total number of fonts with CS2 is around 200, counting the bonus Garamond Premiere Pro OTFs.
    Bobby_Henderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Something is very wrong here. I have one file there:

    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\AdobeFnt07.lst

    Now I'm vaguely remembering some problem that arose when uninstalling Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements.

    Is it possible that would have blitzed a bunch of fonts?

    Any ideas how to recover from this, or where my fonts might be hiding?
    Harry_Putnam@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    It depends on how you bought your copy of IllustratorCS2.

    I have the Creative Suite 2 retail upgrade package. There are four installer CDs and two resource CDs. The fonts are found on resource disc 1.

    If you simply downloaded the IllustratorCS2 upgrade, hopefully you backed up your download and saved any other doentation that came with it. With that route, I would simply uninstall and then reinstall IllustratorCS2. The fonts should come back.

    To answer your earlier question about stock fonts with IllustratorCS2 alone, here's the ones that come standard with AI alone:
    Lithos Pro 5 fonts
    Mesquite Std 1 font
    Minion Pro 6 fonts
    Minion Std Black 1 font
    Myriad Pro 10 fonts
    Myriad Pro Condensed 10 fonts
    Myriad Wild Std 2 fonts
    News Gothic Std 4 fonts
    Nueva Std 6 fonts
    Poplar 1 font
    Prestige Elite Std 4 fonts
    Rosewood Std 2 fonts
    Stencil Std 1 font
    Trajan Pro 2 fonts
    Viva Std 3 fonts
    Warnock Pro 32 fonts

    Adobe's degree of generosity in font bundles for Illustrator varies from one version to the next. The bundled fonts were one of the few things I liked about Illustrator 4. The Berthold "BE" fonts that came with it were worth a lot more than the program by itself. Their "Collection 220" package that shipped with Illustrator 7 and PageMaker 6.5 were pretty decent as well.

    If you're needing lots of good quality fonts, the purchase of a CorelDRAW upgrade would be a good investment. If you don't use the program you'll at least make good use of the 1000 Bitstream, ITC and URW fonts bundled in the package.

    You have to keep your eyes out for other good font deals. I picked up a free version of Canvas 7 that came on a bonus CD in Computer Arts magazine. The disc actually had the 2000 URW fonts that normally ship with the package.

    For the most part, however, you get what you pay for in font quality.

    If you're working on a major graphics project and need really high quality type, particularly new type, you're going to have to pony up some bucks for it. For example, I'm looking into the highway guide signage program within my home state to see if DOT will be interested at all in switching to Clearview Highway. If I get to do at least some of that work, I'll need to spend $800 on a ClearviewHwy font family license.
    Bobby_Henderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for the list and tips about acquiring good fonts.

    I decided not to go the reinstall route and just copied over the fonts from another machine running IllustatorCS and CS2. Seems to be working so far. At least one of my favorites `Trajan pro' is there and some 100+ others.

    I installed the bonus Garamond fonts in C:\Windows\Fonts as the instructions say but I don't see them being available to IllustratorCS2.

    Alot more are in C:\windows\font too. Shouldn't those appear when I click on the Character dialog box dropdown list in IllustratorCS2?

    PS- I attempted to answer your post yesterday on the adobe newsgroup but apparently it didn't work. Do you or anyone her know how to post thru that server?

    It queried me for my user name... I entered Harry_Putnam
    Then for password which I also entered correctly, Still nothing got posted.
    Harry_Putnam@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Harry,

    You have to point your newsreader at adobeforums.com and log in with the
    same username and password you used when you joined via the browser
    interface.

    Your Username is Harry Putnam NOT Harry_Putnam
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, Harry, I have run into odd font problems with Adobe Creative Suite as well. Nearly all the fonts I have installed directly into Windows (via Adobe Type Manger 4.1 -I use it for multiple master font compatibility) will show up in the Adobe applications.

    However, some Asian True Type fonts bundled with CorelDRAW 12 will not load (the app has a few Korean fonts that have come in handy). The only way I can get type from those fonts into Illustrator is by copying the characters to the clipboard from the Windows Character Map utility and then pasting them into Illustrator. Even still, sometimes the characters get pasted into the app defaulting to the Adobe Song Korean font.

    I'm sure there has to be a decent reason why Adobe chose this different arrangement on bundling fonts and installing them (in a separate folder for use only by Adobe apps). I would much rather have the normal route of just installing only the fonts I want to use from the resources CD into Adobe Type Manager.
    Bobby_Henderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Well I'm not sure how I entered username now, the first time but after seeing your post I did enter the correct format:
    Harry Putnam

    However my post never arrives on the list. My NNTP reader is aimed as you mentioned of course or I could not read the group.

    I'm using the same password that I login to the forums with so I enter:

    Harry Putnam XSECRET
    When prompted from my newsreader.... The message appears to be sent but nother ever shows up on the list.

    So, there must be some other element involved?

    Do you know how to contact an admin at the server? I see no lines in the headers that give a clue.
    Harry_Putnam@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Harry,
     [/ref]

    That's not quite true. As the Forums are mirrored to NNTP, any NNTP
    server or Google Groups for instance can display the content, but you
    cannot post from within those alternative feeds and have the posts show
    up here. To post you have to be connected directly to adobeforums.com.

    What News Reader are you using?
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest