Professional Web Applications Themes

What happened to Bryce? - Mac Applications & Software

I've been waiting a whole year to come up with the extra money to buy it, and now, as far as I can tell, Corel is no longer making Bryce (landscaping) for Macintosh. Has someone else taken it over? I don't suppose there are other programs that offer the same thing? I want to create worlds, with mountains, trees, buildings, etc. It's my understanding that Bryce had tons of stuff built in, or allowed you to easily create custom worlds. Any info? -- -- Mac Shareware Games -- http://www.gypsyware.com -- 50 pages of freebies! -- http://www.allfreespot.com...

  1. #1

    Default What happened to Bryce?

    --
    -- Mac Shareware Games -- http://www.gypsyware.com

    -- 50 pages of freebies! -- http://www.allfreespot.com
    Shari Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What happened to Bryce?

    Shari C wrote:

    Carrara and Terragen are now available in X versions.
    They are much better than Bryce IMVHO.
    There's also MojoWorld and probably many others.
    George Guest

  3. #3

    I've been waiting a whole year to come up with the extra money to buy it,
    and now, as far as I can tell, Corel is no longer making Bryce
    (landscaping) for Macintosh.

    Has someone else taken it over?

    I don't suppose there are other programs that offer the same thing? I
    want to create worlds, with mountains, trees, buildings, etc. It's my
    understanding that Bryce had tons of stuff built in, and allowed you to
    easily create custom worlds.

    Any info?

    Also... Apparently it is still available for Windows, for about $75. The
    last version available for Mac that I have found was 2 years ago, and it
    was $300, and has not been updated (I don't know if it's even still
    available, as Corel does not list it on their site, which makes me not
    sure whether it's a good thing to buy even if I do find it....)

    ---
    Mac Shareware Games at http://www.gypsyware.com
    ---

    Shari Guest

  4. #4

    >Shari L. Coxford proclaimed 10/3/03 8:42 AM:

    Hi YA Shari ;) -- YUP! .. they axe'd the *Mac version* only.
    No matter what anyone wants to think as to why - they might
    look at the fact that COREL has filed chapter11 and is desperately
    trying to find a buyer for the entire company.
    That would explain why there is snipping of any further R&D.

    It doesn't matter - get yourself a fresh copy of Bryce 5 fof Mac.
    The application has died several times - but (like Apple) has been
    constantly resurected by Bryce lovers everywhere.
    The 5th edition is so jam-packed with features - you'll never worry
    about an update - and on top of that!- there are always 3rd party plugs
    and apps that are being continually designed around Bryce 5.

    If you don't believe me - just subscribe & download some jpegs
    from alt.binaries.3d.bryce. and have a look at some of the better cells
    from a few of the best artists there-(hopefully im included ;)

    BRYCE WILL NEVER DIE **** BRYCE FOREVER.! ! ! ***** HOORAY-Y-Y!!

    Cheers

    3Defi Guest

  5. #5

    In article <BBA32998.D3D7%com>,
    3Defi <com> wrote:

    > Hi YA Shari ;) -- YUP! .. they axe'd the *Mac version* only.[/ref]

    This is true. However, some of the PC packages out there are actually
    hybrid CD-ROMs with both Mac and PC installers. I got mine about 6 weeks
    ago from an educational software reseller, for $49. It was a hybrid CD,
    but with no printed manual.

    Actually Corel has been bought out by a venture capitalist. All shares
    of stock were purchased by the VC and the company has been taken
    private. It is no longer in Chapter 11. (Actually the Canadian version
    of bankruptcy.)

    This doesn't mean that Bryce for Mac will come back though.

    If the VC doesn't want Bryce, the actual owner of Bryce is Eric Wenger
    and he could conceivably take it back. When he "sold" it to Meta, he
    actually licensed to them the right to develop it and sell it. He
    retained the ownership rights. It remains to be seen how the new owner,
    the VC, will deal with this. But they were aware of it when they bought
    Corel so they must have some plan or other.

    Also, there is an active Bryce community on Corel's own publicly
    accessible news server. Go to cnews.corel.com and and sub to
    corel.graphic_apps.bryce.

    You can also check the bulletin board at <http://www.renderosity.com/>
    for up to date info from the community of Bryce users. (Models too.)

    Shari, Eovia has a special offer right now for Bryce users. Here is the
    posting on the Corel web site:

    --
    I don't speak for my company and it doesn't speak for me.
    dano Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > Carrara and Terragen are now available in X versions.
    > They are much better than Bryce IMVHO.
    > There's also MojoWorld and probably many others.[/ref]

    And don't forget Vue d'Esprit for landscapes and scenic 3Ds. They have
    great organics for trees, plants etc. They also have a demo, and the
    installer CD is a hybrid so the app is cross platform (Windows and OSX).

    <http://www.e-onsoftware.com/>

  7. #7

    dano proclaimed 10/3/03 4:51 PM:

    >> Carrara and Terragen are now available in X versions.
    >> They are much better than Bryce IMVHO.
    >> There's also MojoWorld and probably many others.[/ref]
    >
    > And don't forget Vue d'Esprit for landscapes and scenic 3Ds. They have
    > great organics for trees, plants etc. They also have a demo, and the
    > installer CD is a hybrid so the app is cross platform (Windows and OSX).
    >
    > <http://www.e-onsoftware.com/>[/ref]

    You can do ANYTHING in BRYCE all by itself ;)
    That's whats important - just get a copy Shari.

    Cheers

    3Defi Guest

  8. #8

    I don't expect I'd like Carrara. I had Infini-D, and never did much with
    it. Nothing interesting came built in, and to use it, as far as I could
    tell, I had to go acquire meshes and frames for things. I could not take an
    image, and turn it into a mesh/frame. I'm guessing Carrara would be about
    the same, as Infini-D is built into it.

    It was my understanding that Bryce had everything I needed, built in, to
    create worlds, foreign looking, alien looking worlds.

    I did download Terragen, but haven't tried it yet. From what I've seen on
    the internet (via user galleries), it seems to create normal scenes that I
    could find easily on the internet. Everything I saw looked like a photo of
    a normal world scene, mountains, trees, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary,
    or out of this world. Still, I will boot it up and see what it has.

    I have seen Bryce CD's for sale that sort of say Mac/Windows, but I wasn't
    sure they actually had the Mac OSX version on them. CD's sometimes are
    tricky that way. I've got Quickbooks for Mac, and the CD shows a Windows
    version, but it is not accessible. The box doesn't mention it.

    I am not currently a Bryce user. I just WISH to be :-)

  9. #9

    Shari C wrote:

    Carrara 3 is not like its predecessors.
    It comes with more stuff now, better rendering.
    Corel dropped the Mac platform, so why waste
    time with them or whomever gets stuck with
    trying to sell Bryce?
    George Guest

  10. #10

    George Williams proclaimed 10/3/03 8:49 PM:

    > Carrara 3 is not like its predecessors.
    > It comes with more stuff now, better rendering.
    > Corel dropped the Mac platform, so why waste
    > time with them or whomever gets stuck with
    > trying to sell Bryce?[/ref]

    Because Carrara is "kin" to Bryce(previous as a dual package)
    and it's because Bryce does things Carrara can't do at all.
    Unless your telling Us that Vs 3.?? - can do anything Bryce does now?

    You get Bryce..Poser(for human figures) and Carrara for 2D-3D etc.
    and you've got some powerful rendering tools.
    But you need Bryce 5.. Shari - just get your hands on it
    you'll see your dreams materialize - that's a promiss.!.
    See You in Bryce World ;)

    3Defi Guest