Professional Web Applications Themes

what happened to smtpcull ? - SCO

What happened to smtpcull??? At ftp.armory.com, there has been a ksh script called smtpcull for a long time, and I had written a little script that I use to rftp download and install that script. Now today I discover that smtpcull has bee replaced by a binary and as such, it doesn't work on this 5.0.4 box I just installed it on, silently breaking this guys mail server. Luckily I have this installed in a lot of places so I can get the old ksh version from another installed box and/or maybe oss646b would fix it so this binary works, ...

  1. #1

    Default what happened to smtpcull ?

    What happened to smtpcull???

    At ftp.armory.com, there has been a ksh script called smtpcull for a
    long time, and I had written a little script that I use to rftp
    download and install that script.

    Now today I discover that smtpcull has bee replaced by a binary and as
    such, it doesn't work on this 5.0.4 box I just installed it on,
    silently breaking this guys mail server.

    Luckily I have this installed in a lot of places so I can get the old
    ksh version from another installed box

    and/or maybe oss646b would fix it so this binary works, except It
    wouldn't be wise to install such a major package right now, as the box
    is in the middle of a raid array rebuild after replacing a failed
    drive. I noticed the mail server being active when it shouldn't have
    been and I know that installing smtpcull is a trivial operation so
    that is why I was doing that and yet am unwilling to do something else
    like install oss646b. not to mention this is an old box that is
    extremely tight on root fs space and on hd space in general and
    installing any large packages would be dicey.

    I don't think that major of a change should have been put right into
    the exact same filename on the ftp site. The reason I had a script to
    download it was so I'd always get the latest version, so some change
    was expected and welcomed, but to have the thing I'm downloading
    suddenly not even be a shell script anymore really ed me up.

    For one thing, among the things my installer did was to safely handle
    the case of running the installer more than once on the same machine.
    Not just for safety but also for convenience, it means the script can
    be run any time you want whether you want to install smtpcull fresh or
    just update it to the latest version. It avoided ever losing the
    original real smtpsrvr binary by testing smtpsrvr to see if it was a
    binary or a text file using the "file" command before renaming it to
    smtpsrvr.bin, and successive runs would detect that smtpsrvr is a ksh
    script and it would rename them to something with the date in it and
    leave the original binary alone. Now that logic is b0rken. Fixable of
    course but my script is now dangerous because this fundamentally
    different file is sitting in the exact place and filename where a
    shell script used to be. It's just lucky that I noticed that the rftp
    was a lot longer than it usually is and that I noticed that the mail
    server wasn't actually working any more. If the customer had happened
    to have a faster connection I might not have noticed. This thing has
    been working so well for so long that I usually don't double-check it.
    I've established long ago that I can trust it. Except I never figured
    on this. I was prepared for smtpcull to maybe dissappear, and/or maybe
    move to some other host, or maybe it's packaging to change like maybe
    become part of a tar.Z instead of a directly acessible file, etc.. in
    all those cases I simply would fail to get smtpcull and would handle
    this by putting the original binary back where it was and printing a
    warning, plus the failed rftp would print obvious messages. But I
    never figured on this sort of in-place fundamental replacement without
    so much as tweaking the filename or the path to it a little.

    Naughty naughty :)
    Brian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: what happened to smtpcull ?

    In article <google.com>,
    Brian K. White <com> wrote:

    Sorry! The binary isn't actually smtpcull at all; it's smtpsrvr.
    Here's what happened: I have an automated process that maintains the Armory
    ftp archives by comparing every file in the archives to the "in-use" version.
    If the in-use version is newer, the archive version is replaced with it, a new
    helpfile is generated, etc. It knows where to find the in-use version of each
    archive file. The in-use version of smtpcull is /usr/mmdf/chans/smtpsrvr,
    since that's where it appears when it's being used.
    But, I've been doing a lot of work on MMDF lately, and to test it on a
    real-live-system, I copied all of the MMDF binaries over to
    deepthought.armory.com, AKA ftp.armory.com. This of course replaced the
    smtpcull front end for smtpsrvr with a new smtpsrvr binary. I didn't notice
    that until the archive-update process ran, which mailed me a warning that it
    hadn't been able to update the help page for smtpcull (since smtpsrvr doesn't
    take a -h option). I fixed it (moved smtpsrvr to smtpsrvr.bin and put smtpcull
    in place as smtpsrvr) and ran the update process again. It told me that it had
    updated smtpsrvr, and I didn't noticed that it *didn't* tell me it had updated
    smtpcull (since the in-use version was older than the binary that now resided
    in the archives), so it stayed there waiting to trip you up :)
    I've fixed that, and added code to the update process to check that the file
    type of an archive file is identical to that of the source file that it would
    be updated from.

    John
    --
    John DuBois com KC6QKZ/AE http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/
    John Guest

  3. #3

    armory.com (John DuBois) wrote in message news:<3fb19c51$0$1103$tycho.net>...

    > Sorry! The binary isn't actually smtpcull at all; it's smtpsrvr.
    > Here's what happened: I have an automated process that maintains the Armory
    > ftp archives by comparing every file in the archives to the "in-use" version.
    > If the in-use version is newer, the archive version is replaced with it, a new
    > helpfile is generated, etc. It knows where to find the in-use version of each
    > archive file. The in-use version of smtpcull is /usr/mmdf/chans/smtpsrvr,
    > since that's where it appears when it's being used.
    > But, I've been doing a lot of work on MMDF lately, and to test it on a
    > real-live-system, I copied all of the MMDF binaries over to
    > deepthought.armory.com, AKA ftp.armory.com. This of course replaced the
    > smtpcull front end for smtpsrvr with a new smtpsrvr binary. I didn't notice
    > that until the archive-update process ran, which mailed me a warning that it
    > hadn't been able to update the help page for smtpcull (since smtpsrvr doesn't
    > take a -h option). I fixed it (moved smtpsrvr to smtpsrvr.bin and put smtpcull
    > in place as smtpsrvr) and ran the update process again. It told me that it had
    > updated smtpsrvr, and I didn't noticed that it *didn't* tell me it had updated
    > smtpcull (since the in-use version was older than the binary that now resided
    > in the archives), so it stayed there waiting to trip you up :)
    > I've fixed that, and added code to the update process to check that the file
    > type of an archive file is identical to that of the source file that it would
    > be updated from.
    >
    > John[/ref]

    cool beans.
    Thanks! :)