Professional Web Applications Themes

What happened to the emboss filter? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Has this effect been superseded by the 3d effect and if so how can I create an emboss with it? So far all my experimentation has left me feeling rather flat....

  1. #1

    Default What happened to the emboss filter?

    Stuart_McCoy@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What happened to the emboss filter?

    I don't remember there ever being an Emboss Filter or Effect. Are you perhaps thinking of Photoshop's layer Effects?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I could have sworn there was but I could be wrong. I'm trying to create a wax embossed looking object for a logo design and the 3d filter works ok but it leaves the top looking a little flat, like the rounded top has been shaved off a little.
    Stuart_McCoy@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Stuart,

    There has never been an Emboss filter or effect built into Illustrator. Perhaps you are thinking of a graphic style that someone built up using a combination of other effects. You can get some interesting results using diagonally offset transformed copies, optionally combined with inner glow.

    See this file for some examples. (I originally made this file in AI 9, but have updated it to CS format.) It is kind of big (1.47 MB) because I use raster patterns and raster effects, and the Doent Raster Effects resolution is set to 300. But it doesn't look as good set lower.

    Embossed Text sample file <http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/adobe/embossed_type_CS.ai>
    Teri Guest

  5. #5

    Was emboss a part of the KPT Vector Effects? That must be what I was thinking of. There really were some rather useful effects in there. Does anyone know if KPT Vector Effects works with Illustrator CS or CS2? I might have to dig up my copy if it does. Perhaps Adobe could revive KPT Vector Effects in an upcoming version of Illustrator if not?
    Stuart_McCoy@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry, KPT Vector Effects does not work with CS or CS2, and Adobe would not have the rights to attempt duplicating it, since it belongs to Corel.

    I've been meaning to see if the latest AlienSkin Photoshop filters work with Illustrator CS. They used to work in AI 9 and 10, except that AlienSkin liked to record the directory location of the application it was running under in their own Preferences, which meant that you couldn't easily use the plug-ins under both Photoshop and Illustrator (or even with two different versions of Photoshop) without discarding preferences each time you switched apps.
    Teri Guest

  7. #7

    KPT Vectors 1.5 Emboss do work with CD2 Win.
    Fernando_Berga@adobeforums.com Guest