Professional Web Applications Themes

What happens if MM servers are shut down? - Macromedia Freehand

I was wondering, will I be able to use my FHMX if they shut down the internet license detection servers at Macromedia? I presume that since you need an internet connection to run the MX version of the software, unless you get a special serial number, that the Macromedia servers must be up for me to run the program. What happens if Adobe shuts them down? dp...

  1. #1

    Default What happens if MM servers are shut down?

    I was wondering, will I be able to use my FHMX if they shut down the
    internet license detection servers at Macromedia?

    I presume that since you need an internet connection to run the MX
    version of the software, unless you get a special serial number, that
    the Macromedia servers must be up for me to run the program. What
    happens if Adobe shuts them down?

    dp
    D. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What happens if MM servers are shut down?

    "D. Plank" <net> wrote in news:d46335$m53$1
    forums.macromedia.com:

    MX does a license check once but it does not require an internet
    connection to run. It will check a local network to see if other copies
    with the same serial # are running at the same time.

    --
    Tom G.
    Send replies to tom |att| geldner /dott/ com

  3. #3

    Ahh, so as long as I don't change my system or try to put the software
    on a new computer I can run FHMX, as it is, no matter what Adobe does.

    Tom G. wrote:

    > MX does a license check once but it does not require an internet
    > connection to run. It will check a local network to see if other copies
    > with the same serial # are running at the same time.
    >[/ref]
    D. Guest

  4. #4

    "D. Plank" <net> wrote in news:d466c1$r09$1
    forums.macromedia.com:

    AFAIK, yes.

  5. #5

    D. Plank

    I am so glad you brought this up.

    I guess we can say the life expectancy of Freehand MX is as long as the
    computers life. Just an FYI if you move a user from one computer to another
    new computer using Apple's new set up assistant you will have to re-activate it.

    I guess if you need a new Power Mac and you want to continue to use FH MX you
    should do it before Oct 1.

    This is just great...Boy I sure wish somebody from Macromedia could tell us
    something.

    This gives me the urgent feeling to bailout.

    Surely Adobe would have to honor this somehow.

    Jere12345 Guest

  6. #6

    D. Plank wrote:

    I see where you're going with this.

    Suppose, I decide I can continue to work using FHMX for the next ten years.
    However, if in three or four years the new Adobe decides to pull the plug on
    FHMX product activation, it could effectively prevent use on any new
    hardware we might need.

    Oh great, thanks a bunch Dave. Now I won't sleep tonight. :)

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  7. #7

    Jere12345 wrote:

    Since Adobe has started using a similar licensing scheme, I am guessing
    they would serve out the authentication themselves that way. Or perhaps
    just leave the existing Macromedia authentication servers running. This
    is still something that I am guessing a lot of people are scrambling to
    figure out at this point though as most of the MM people didn't know
    about the aquisition until the public did.

    --
    Brandon Bradley
    Macromedia Certified Instructor

  8. #8

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    Good grief. That's something I hadn't even thought of, the MX product
    activation.

    Well if worse comes to worse, I guess there are probably "underground"
    methods out there to get passed that... but you didn't hear it from me.

    --
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    remove "_nospam_" to send email

    Ian Kelleigh
    net

    "The FreeHand Source"
    http://www.FreeHandSource.com
    Ian Guest

  9. #9

    What a thought. I want to get a new Mac tower in the next few weeks, maybe a
    month or two at the outside. I'd sure love to be able to use FH MX on it,
    seeing as it's my workhorse vector tool. I hadn't gotten so far as to worry
    about the specifics of product activation hassles in a post-merger world.
    Surely we'll there will be some sort of workaround. But I'm guessing they
    probably they won't change the activation scheme until sometime in the fall,
    when Adobe is closer to having completed the Borg thing and Macromedia is fully
    absorbed.

    maxman23 Guest

  10. #10

    Well of course you could always migrate to a program that I use daily, is
    (mostly) stable, is (mostly) print not web orientated, is fairly fast and
    fairly reliable and doesn't need registering/activating ever. If "upgrade"
    means move to a version that is superior than the one you're using, then
    upgrade to Freehand 9 :-)

    Ian McD.

    "maxman23" <com> wrote in message

    worry
    fall,
    fully

    Ian Guest

  11. #11

    Yea, I would rather use FH version 9 than Illustrator. Problem is, I use
    a Mac. I can't boot my G4 in system 9 and running Classic has problems
    (emulation I guess).

    Is there anything in the software license that would give users a legal
    stance to force Adobe to let users keep MX running. I am sure Adobe will
    kill the activation as soon as they can.

    Ian Mconald wrote:

    > worry

    > fall,

    > fully

    >[/ref]
    D. Guest

  12. #12

    D. Plank wrote:

    Nah, I thinks it would be years before that would happen. Remember, FH is
    not the only MM program that requires activation. I'm sure some kind of
    product protection will be written into the merger contract.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  13. #13

    > Nah, I thinks it would be years before that would happen. Remember, FH is
    > not the only MM program that requires activation. I'm sure some kind of
    > product protection will be written into the merger contract.[/ref]

    Yes, shutting down MM product activation is the worst PR and marketing one
    can think of. If Adobe wants users of FreeHand and other MM software to
    start using Adobe products like Illustrator or GoLive the best way is to
    make good upgrade offers rather than make users ever more angry than they
    already are.

    I've always regarded Macromedia even more arrogant and indifferent than
    Adobe, especially tech support. So we are not losing anything in that
    matter.

    Jukka
    Armadillo Guest

  14. #14

    I've been using FH9 in Classic for 3 years now. From OSX 10.1 through
    OSX 10.3.8. The only glitch is when launching from the finder every now
    and again it will open the FH file "funky like" (icon in dock bounces,
    file opens before all images are loaded and before fonts are checked, I
    always close the file then re-open from the recent files list in FH).
    This isn't every now and again usage, this is day in day out 80% of my
    day working in Classic. I can even copy over to Photoshop running in OS
    X just as easily as I could running in OS9.

    Rich

    Rich Guest

  15. #15

    So you don't think that you will see an Adobe press release on a Monday
    morning in the future that says all MM activation has been discontinued
    and that users should check the upgrade path to the current Adobe offerings?

    Armadillo wrote:

    >> Nah, I thinks it would be years before that would happen. Remember, FH is
    >> not the only MM program that requires activation. I'm sure some kind of
    >> product protection will be written into the merger contract.[/ref]
    >

    > Yes, shutting down MM product activation is the worst PR and marketing
    > one can think of. If Adobe wants users of FreeHand and other MM
    > software to start using Adobe products like Illustrator or GoLive the
    > best way is to make good upgrade offers rather than make users ever
    > more angry than they already are.
    >
    > I've always regarded Macromedia even more arrogant and indifferent than
    > Adobe, especially tech support. So we are not losing anything in that
    > matter.
    >
    > Jukka[/ref]
    D. Guest

  16. #16

    Judy Arndt <ca> wrote in

    I think if either MM or Adobe pulls the plug on MM product activation, a
    class action lawsuit would be appropriate.

  17. #17

    It's interresting to me that this very situation was considered back in August of 03, when activation was introduced. The poster asks what will happen if MM goes "belly up" and he has to change a hard drive or an OS.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/macromedia.freehand/msg/2eab15eb72908160?hl=en

    The answer from MM was "If MM goes belly up (which is highly unlikely but a valid question), we'll definitely make sure registered users have access to their software. Let's
    hope that's not the case, tho ;)"

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/macromedia.freehand/msg/883def63cf97a7d2?hl=en

    I realize that they aren't exactly going 'belly up', but in terms of whether MM will still exist in a form that can support it's activation process into the future, the question is quite valid and seems to me a damning indictment against product activation in general. Any product that must communicate with a corporate entity in order to continue to exist is inherently less valuable than one that doesn't. I'm extremely confident that the majority of my software will be usable by me at any given point in the future (within reason). I'd pay extra for that feature in Freehand.

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

    Bill Guest

  18. #18

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    > I see where you're going with this.
    >
    > Suppose, I decide I can continue to work using FHMX for the next ten years.
    > However, if in three or four years the new Adobe decides to pull the plug on
    > FHMX product activation, it could effectively prevent use on any new
    > hardware we might need.[/ref]

    That's confusing product activation (which writes a one time key to the
    hard drive) with network license detection. They're different.

    Activation doesn't -require- a connection (you can phone in an
    activation, for example,) and since it's tied into so many products I'm
    almost absolutely certain that it will be accounted for in whatever
    happens next.

    License detection is just that. If you have a network it will look for
    your SN on the network. I don't see how that could possibly be effected..

    --
    Regards,

    Bentley Wolfe
    Senior Support Engineer, Macromedia
    Senior Escalation Engineer, Flash

    Macrochats are live, online technical product presentations!
    View the list of Macrochat topics here: www.macromedia.com/community
    Bentley Guest

  19. #19

    Do you mean to say that many years down the line, after I have choosen not to upgrade to the new improved Adobe version of Freehand (hypothetically speaking) and/or continue to find Illustrator lacking, Adobe will activate my FHMX when I need to replace my hard drive?

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

    Bill Guest

  20. #20

    Given the rather vigorous and unambiguous middle-finger that Adobe
    extended to all of us that purchased fonts via their Type On Call
    product throughout the 90s, I'd say that anyone who wants to continue
    using their activated Macromedia products in the future should begin
    looking for "alternate" methods of activation.

    Either that or find a nice class-action-happy lawyer...

    Bill wrote:
    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:41:24 -0500, Bentley Wolfe
    <com> wrote:

    Tortured_Artist Guest