Professional Web Applications Themes

What happens when RAID 1 fails under Mac OS X? - Mac Applications & Software

I'm considering the use of the built-in RAID 1 feature (mirroring) for data reliabilty under Mac OS X for a FileMaker database. Does anyone know exactly what happens when one of the drives fails? I assume that, since it's RAID, the system should keep running transparently. So, how do we know the drive has failed? Does the RAID software give a notification (email, applescript, etc.) that will be noticed if one is not physically at the computer? -- To send email, remove the invalid and nospams....

  1. #1

    Default What happens when RAID 1 fails under Mac OS X?

    --
    To send email, remove the invalid and nospams.
    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What happens when RAID 1 fails under Mac OS X?

    In article <1fz9ogj.1gpy6h7avkuvN%com.invalid>,
    com.invalid (Mike D) wrote:

    I have limited experience with this, so take it as a data point and nothing
    more.

    we're running the built-in Raid feature (mirroring) on an XServe. Those of
    you familiar with the hard drive bays on the XServe know that they just
    need a little push and they pop out. Someone bumped a chair into one of the
    hard drives and pushed it out. The server continued to run fine on one
    drive from that point on (although in a "degraded" state) and it was some
    time before we noticed. When we pushed the hard drive back in, we had to go
    back to Disk Utility to resync the two drives to re-establish the RAID. If
    we had configured Server Monitor to notify us, it could have sent us email
    or paged us alerting us to the degraded array (we subsequently set it up to
    do that). However, Server Monitor is a OS X Server utility; not sure if
    something like it exists for plain ol' OS X. I only noticed when I happened
    to see that both little drive access lights weren't blinking in unison like
    they usually did.
    sam Guest

  3. #3

    sam grey <com> wrote:

    > I have limited experience with this, so take it as a data point and nothing
    > more.
    >
    > we're running the built-in Raid feature (mirroring) on an XServe. Those of
    > you familiar with the hard drive bays on the XServe know that they just
    > need a little push and they pop out. Someone bumped a chair into one of the
    > hard drives and pushed it out. The server continued to run fine on one
    > drive from that point on (although in a "degraded" state) and it was some
    > time before we noticed. When we pushed the hard drive back in, we had to go
    > back to Disk Utility to resync the two drives to re-establish the RAID. If
    > we had configured Server Monitor to notify us, it could have sent us email
    > or paged us alerting us to the degraded array (we subsequently set it up to
    > do that). However, Server Monitor is a OS X Server utility; not sure if
    > something like it exists for plain ol' OS X. I only noticed when I happened
    > to see that both little drive access lights weren't blinking in unison like
    > they usually did.[/ref]

    Thank you!

    It sounds like my concern is valid: that unless running OSX Server with
    Server Monitor, one could lose one drive an never know it untill the 2nd
    drive failed as well...

  4. #4

    In article
    <1fzbiu7.16dsvyh1u4on4qN%com.invalid>, Mike D
    <com.invalid> wrote:

    Depending on the failure mode, something like DiskWarrior's SMART
    monitor might tell you.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1fzd4sm.8kei8511voq6nN%com.invalid>,
    Mike D <com.invalid> wrote:

    > > I suppose; you could keep checking with Disk Utility, which tells you when
    > > and if an array is degraded.[/ref]
    >
    > Interesting idea. I wonder if there is a command-line utility to do
    > this? Any darwin/unix gurus out there? If there is, it should be
    > trivial to write a cron job to send an email when one drive fails...[/ref]

    The command line version of Disk Utility is called "diskutil." You
    probably want either the "info" subcommand or "checkRAID" -- I bet the
    latter.

  6. #6

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:24:06 -0700,
    Jerry Kindall (invalid) wrote:

    > The command line version of Disk Utility is called "diskutil." You
    > probably want either the "info" subcommand or "checkRAID" -- I bet the
    > latter.[/ref]

    Thanks Jerry! I've been looking for a command-line utility to check
    RAID status.

    Adding "diskutil checkRAID" to root's crontab works very well!

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest