Professional Web Applications Themes

What is Amethyst's Problem? - Windows XP/2000/ME

*Editied for content ;)* Dear Cassandra/Amethyst, I don't understand why you post. Too often you are rude and not helpful at all Here's what I mean: -Lines marked with an * are part of the original post. -My comments are in brackets *felix figueroa wrote: *> I was just wondering what the blue hilighted text meant *> when im looking in my folders...recently modified? * * *It means that, in the time it took you to compose this post you could have *searched the group and found your answer. (WTF is your problem, if he wants to post, then that's ...

  1. #1

    Default What is Amethyst's Problem?

    *felix figueroa wrote:
    *> I was just wondering what the blue hilighted text meant
    *> when im looking in my folders...recently modified?
    *
    *
    *It means that, in the time it took you to compose this
    post you could have
    *searched the group and found your answer.

    (WTF is your problem, if he wants to post, then that's
    his choice. I WOULD agree with you, if I had seen this
    question repeadily posted)

    *William wrote:
    *> You probably registered your copy but did not activate,
    *> it is two different things, maybe you should just give
    it
    *> a try and activate or activate again, otherwise contact
    *> microsoft.
    *
    *Err, no. If she had merely registered, but not
    activated, then she would not
    *receive an "already activated" message. She is not
    seeing the activation
    *box, so how can she activate. Do you actually read
    questions before
    *responding, or do you just post the first thing that
    pops into your head?

    (Talk about being b***hy)

    *Rat Garton wrote:
    *> when I go on line no matter ware after I have finished
    and wish to
    *> close down I can not I have use windows task manager
    and that
    *> struggles to close it down any I deas to solve this
    prob I am a
    *> complete novice so if you can help please try to keep
    it simple ty
    *
    *
    *Please come back after you have attended those remedial
    English classes
    *especially the ones dealing with sentence construction
    and punctuation. I am
    *not even going to bother to decipher that until you
    insert some proper
    *punctuation.

    (You may have a point, but if you're not going to answer
    his question, then don't post. Let the people who will
    spend the 5 seconds to try to understand what he's saying
    help him)

    *Linda wrote:
    *> have upgraded msn messenger and cant get it to work,
    nor
    *> my old version. Also my system restore will not work
    in
    *> XP. Any advice?
    *
    *Please read [url]http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm[/url] and learn
    how to submit a good
    *post. When you have read it, follow the advice and post
    back.

    (Once again, if you're not going to answer her question,
    then don't post. Let the people who will spend the 5
    seconds to try to understand what she's saying help her)

    *Bruce Chambers wrote:
    *> Greetings --
    *>
    *> Sure. Rename or delete the C:\Boot.ini file, and
    the PC will have
    *> problems booting. This is what you want to happen, or
    else you
    *> wouldn't have asked, right?
    *>
    *> Bruce Chambers
    *>
    *> Help us help you:
    *> [url]http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm[/url]
    *> [url]http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/url]
    *> ----
    *> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't
    ever count on
    *> having both at once. -- RAH
    *
    *I guess I should stop being surprised at how stupid some
    people can be, eh?
    *;o)

    (Oh you can both go f**k yourselfs. The man was confused
    about what this file was. Last time i checked, these
    groups were for people with questions about a Microsoft
    product or service)

    *Rajesh K m wrote:
    *> Hi,
    *> Kindly feed me with answers for the following
    questions.
    *>
    *> How many monitors can you connect to Windows XP Home
    *> Edition at a time?
    *>
    *> What function of Windows XP Home Edition helps serve
    *> broadband connection to be shared over the internet?
    *>
    *> What feature of Windows XP Home Edition help share
    *> Internet connection over two or more PC?
    *>
    *> What is an og USB audio/video capture device
    called in
    *> Windows XP Home Edition?
    *>
    *> Which feature in Windows XP Home Edition greatly
    improves
    *> the reliability of the system?
    *>
    *> Please reply me as soon as possible at
    *> [email]raeshe2003hotmail.com[/email]
    *> Thanks
    *
    *
    *These groups are for people with real problems, not lazy
    pubescents wanting
    *someone to do their IT homework for them. Do the
    research yourself you lazy
    *cretin!

    (As you like to say, 'err no', these groups are for
    people with any questions about a Microsoft product or
    service, regardless of severity. Maybe if YOU weren't so
    lazy, you would help him.)

    THE FOLLOWING ONE WAS BY FAR THE RUDEST:

    *Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:
    *> Greetings Alan,
    *>
    *> Instead of choosing just Stop, in that window,
    select "Messenger",
    *> right-click and then choose Properties. Under startup
    type, choose
    *> 'Disabled' and then choose the 'Stop' button. After
    the service is
    *stopped,
    *> click OK.
    *>
    *> After this, you won't need to stop it at every reboot.
    *> ____________________________________________
    *> Jonathan Kay
    *> Windows MVP, Messenger
    *> Associate Expert
    *> [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/[/url]
    *> Messenger Resources - [url]http://messenger.jonathankay.com[/url]
    *>
    *> "alan aggett" <t.lee4ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    *> news:101101c34090$428cae10$a101280aphx.gbl...
    *>> To stop the new brand of pop ups,such as those from
    end
    *>> ads.com. Go to control panel, open admin tools , then
    *>> click on services- scroll down thru the list to
    *>> messenger ,right click and select-STOP.This disables
    the
    *>> service,-not sure if u have to do this everytime u
    boot
    *>> up. Don t seem to be any adverse side effects but if u
    *>> have trouble with any other services try re enabling
    *>> messenger.Good luck!!
    *
    *Still peddling the same old tripe I see. You can't teach
    kids anything these
    *days.

    (Hey b***h, at least he helps many people, and POLITELY)

    AND BELIEVE ME, THERE WERE MANY MORE!

    So join hands and call out, "Get the d**do out of your
    a** Cass"
    Paul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What is Amethyst's Problem?

    "Paul" <pcyr2000hotmail.com> wrote in message news:036901c3499c$f49b2540$a101280aphx.gbl...
> [...]
    > *>> To stop the new brand of pop ups,such as those from
    > end
    > *>> ads.com. Go to control panel, open admin tools , then
    > *>> click on services- scroll down thru the list to
    > *>> messenger ,right click and select-STOP.This disables
    > the
    > *>> service,-not sure if u have to do this everytime u
    > boot
    > *>> up. Don t seem to be any adverse side effects but if u
    > *>> have trouble with any other services try re enabling
    > *>> messenger.Good luck!!
    > *
    > *Still peddling the same old tripe I see. You can't teach
    > kids anything these
    > *days.
    >
    > (Hey b***h, at least he helps many people, and POLITELY)
    >

    > AND BELIEVE ME, THERE WERE MANY MORE!
    >
    > So join hands and call out, "Get the d**do out of your
    I agree with this post!

    And the wit Mike Brannigan (MSFT) has no problem with Crasssandra calling people "pubescents", and "cretins" (along with wits, morons, etc)!
    Ted Guest

  3. #3

    I thought she was going to try to make some kind of attitude adjustment
    after what Kadaitcha Man was threatening to try to do. Remember the "open
    letter" ?But I see her as quite pleasant compared to some of the stuff K-Man
    posts in his replies. Guess a horse really can't change its colors...

    Malv

    "Ted" <"""""""""""""""> wrote in message
    news:b2e6b8c90716685330d45ce84d345d4dfree.teranew s.com...

    "Paul" <pcyr2000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    <snip> See original post

    Malvern Guest

  4. #4

> [...]
    > *>> To stop the new brand of pop ups,such as those from
    > end
    > *>> ads.com. Go to control panel, open admin tools , then
    > *>> click on services- scroll down thru the list to
    > *>> messenger ,right click and select-STOP.This disables
    > the
    > *>> service,-not sure if u have to do this everytime u
    > boot
    > *>> up. Don t seem to be any adverse side effects but if u
    > *>> have trouble with any other services try re enabling
    > *>> messenger.Good luck!!
    > *
    > *Still peddling the same old tripe I see. You can't teach
    > kids anything these
    > *days.
    >
    > (Hey b***h, at least he helps many people, and POLITELY)
    >

    > AND BELIEVE ME, THERE WERE MANY MORE!
    >
    > So join hands and call out, "Get the d**do out of your

    If you want to see it's problem, check out some of the other groups it posts
    to.
    SCARY!

    Spinner Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Paul Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jupiter Jones [MVP] Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Justin Rovang Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Paul Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    In article <utWO#iiSDHA.2676TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Paul"
    <pcyr2000hotmail.com> wrote:
    >(WTF is your problem, if he wants to post, then that's
    >his choice. I WOULD agree with you, if I had seen this
    >question repeadily posted)
    Asking a question in a newsgroup post requires either that the post goes
    unanswered, or that someone spends time to enter a response of their own.

    Searching on Google, or MSN, or any of a number of search sites, means that
    existing content can be looked at, which takes time only from the person who
    has the problem.

    Search before you post - it's a really good rule. The irony, of course, is
    that if you'd searched on this yourself, you'd have seen this sort of
    question answered several hundred times over the last couple of decades.
    >(Talk about being b***hy)
    There are times when even the most level-headed of us get annoyed at seeing
    a response from someone who may well be trying to help, but just didn't take
    the important step of reading the question. Such a response is generally
    irritating to the original poster, who often is already upset that noone has
    given her any help, and is now faced with a "helpful response" from someone
    who didn't even do her the courtesy of reading the original post. Such a
    response is doubly irritating to those of us who feel it's our mission to
    help answer others' problems, because we not only have to answer the
    original question, but we also have to point out that the "answer"
    previously posted is not an answer to the problem, just in case someone
    mistakenly thinks it is.
    >(You may have a point, but if you're not going to answer
    >his question, then don't post. Let the people who will
    >spend the 5 seconds to try to understand what he's saying
    >help him)
    In case you haven't noticed, there isn't exactly a huge supply of clued-in
    folk around here, willing to spend any time at all answering questions.
    It's helpful to suggest that posters improve the quality of their posts,
    because that improvement in quality leads to an improvement in the quality
    of the answer they get - and that helps everyone.

    Correct spelling and grammar also make it more likely that the resulting
    response can be found by others in their future searches for answers to the
    same questions. [See above]

    Not everyone is blessed with a great facility with the English language, to
    be sure, but those of us who read at speed are slowed down significantly by
    poor spelling, incorrect diction, and bad grammar. Anything you can do to
    increase the chances that your message will be read and responded to is
    worth your time and effort.
    >(Once again, if you're not going to answer her question,
    >then don't post. Let the people who will spend the 5
    >seconds to try to understand what she's saying help her)
    You must be new here.

    That's the only reason I can think that you haven't seen the numerous
    postings where people start a thread with expressions such as "nobody here
    will answer my questions", and littered with various curses. There's
    clearly a need for a number of people to attend "Usenet posting 101". It's
    really irritating to continually post "What's the error message? What
    operating system are you running? What service pack? Have you run Windows
    Update? Have you checked the knowledge base?", etc, etc. If more people
    were to learn how to post in such a way as to improve the quality of the
    answers they receive, a lot more people would have a happy day.
    >(Oh you can both go f**k yourselfs. The man was confused
    >about what this file was. Last time i checked, these
    >groups were for people with questions about a Microsoft
    >product or service)
    Hmm... so now, you're advocating that the respondents should forget any
    claim to "spend the 5 seconds to try to understand what she's saying", and
    actually try and guess what they mean instead of what they say?

    Someone asks how to delete an important system file, it's appropriate to say
    "here's how, but you'll break your system". Amethyst obviously erroneously
    typed "stupid" where "ignorant" was more appropriate. I grew out of trying
    to delete files that I didn't create some time ago.
    >(As you like to say, 'err no', these groups are for
    >people with any questions about a Microsoft product or
    >service, regardless of severity. Maybe if YOU weren't so
    >lazy, you would help him.)
    And yet, those of us that answer questions on Usenet get annoyed when people
    try to use Usenet as a homework answering service. There's a difference
    between "sharing the wealth" of knowledge, and someone trying to get out of
    a homework assignment by getting other people to do their work for them.

    Those of us that answer questions here are surprisingly busy. Yet we offer
    our time free of charge to help other people. It's really rude to consider
    us as a substitute for doing the work you volunteered to do when you signed
    up for the course of study!
    >THE FOLLOWING ONE WAS BY FAR THE RUDEST:

    >(Hey b***h, at least he helps many people, and POLITELY)
    Actually, no, that particular "stop Messenger Service to avoid pop-ups" is a
    useless piece of advice. As I've posted many times here, the problem is not
    that people are using Messenger Service, the problem is that the system
    whose Messenger Service is being abused is open to all manner of different
    abuses, and Messenger Service is only the one that the user gets to see.

    Closing the holes in the system, by enabling the built-in firewall, is a
    fix, rather than a band-aid.
    >AND BELIEVE ME, THERE WERE MANY MORE!
    >
    >So join hands and call out, "Get the d**do out of your
    >a** Cass"
    >
    >And i will continue to post these messages untill you publicly apologize to
    >the people you have offended.
    Offence comes in many forms. For instance, I seem to have taken offence at
    your insistence that you should be unable to ever take offence at a
    newsgroup posting. There's a bunch of posts here from one person that you
    apparently have a problem with. Fine - there's a reason most newsreaders
    have a killfile - use it, and you won't ever have to see that person's posts
    again.

    Did you ever consider - just on the outside - that you might be being
    trolled? And that you've actually done _exactly_ that which the troll
    desires, and loudly publicised the troll?

    Alun.
    ~~~~
    Alun Jones [MS MVP] Guest