Mpeg2 conversition, whitch solution would be faster ? [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Eric [ip] => banlieu@freesur [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 4 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Mpeg2 conversition, whitch solution would be > faster ?[/ref] That would depend greatly on exactly how your DVD/Mpeg/whatever program was written. If it uses Altivec exclusively, then the G3 isn't going to be able to run it AT ALL, so the G4 is your only option. If it uses a mixture of Altivec and "normal" PPC instructions, and runs routines written in "plain" PPC instead of the Altivec code when it figures out it isn't on an Altivec-capable processor, the G3 may be quicker to get the job done, or it may be slower, depending on how much of the code is "straight" PPC, and how efficient the PPC code that's replacing the Altivec parts that can't be run by the G3 is. If it uses no Altivec instructions, then the G3 will beat the G4 every time, even without the ability to run Altivec code, simply because it's running at twice the raw clock speed of the G4. (but even THAT statement may be false, since the program could be very poorly written, or it's I/O intensive, and you've got a slow drive, or...) You're really asking the wrong question, I think. There are just too many things that can affect the final "fastness" of either of these processors (or a specific program runnig on either of them) to be able to give you a good idea without *A LOT* more information about *EXACTLY* what programs you'll be running, whether they're Altivec enhanced or "plain" PPC code, how much of them is Altivec versus "plain" PPC, memory availability and allocation, drive throughput, how "compute-bound" (versus "I/O-bound") the program(s) might be, and certainly other factors that I can't even think of right now. You're trying to get a specific answer when you're not giving us (or maybe don't even have, yourself) enough info to give you a *GENERAL* answer that's worth much of anything. What it really comes down to is that you're trying to do a comparison between apples and oranges. You're not going to get good data. -- Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - unmunged, SpamAssassinated Hate SPAM? See for some seriously great info. I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart Fly trap info pages: [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Don [ip] => dakidd@sonic.ne [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 5 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Mpeg2 conversition, whitch solution would be > > faster ?[/ref] > > That would depend greatly on exactly how your DVD/Mpeg/whatever program > was written. If it uses Altivec exclusively, then the G3 isn't going to > be able to run it AT ALL, so the G4 is your only option. If it uses a > mixture of Altivec and "normal" PPC instructions, and runs routines > written in "plain" PPC instead of the Altivec code when it figures out > it isn't on an Altivec-capable processor, the G3 may be quicker to get > the job done, or it may be slower, depending on how much of the code is > "straight" PPC, and how efficient the PPC code that's replacing the > Altivec parts that can't be run by the G3 is. If it uses no Altivec > instructions, then the G3 will beat the G4 every time, even without the > ability to run Altivec code, simply because it's running at twice the > raw clock speed of the G4. (but even THAT statement may be false, since > the program could be very poorly written, or it's I/O intensive, and > you've got a slow drive, or...) > > You're really asking the wrong question, I think. There are just too > many things that can affect the final "fastness" of either of these > processors (or a specific program runnig on either of them) to be able > to give you a good idea without *A LOT* more information about *EXACTLY* > what programs you'll be running, whether they're Altivec enhanced or > "plain" PPC code, how much of them is Altivec versus "plain" PPC, memory > availability and allocation, drive throughput, how "compute-bound" > (versus "I/O-bound") the program(s) might be, and certainly other > factors that I can't even think of right now. You're trying to get a > specific answer when you're not giving us (or maybe don't even have, > yourself) enough info to give you a *GENERAL* answer that's worth much > of anything. > > What it really comes down to is that you're trying to do a comparison > between apples and oranges. You're not going to get good data.[/ref] Thanks for u'r answer. At it reading i'm gona got the G3 [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Eric [ip] => banlieu@freesur [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 6 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> What is better to do in updating CPU? - Mac Applications & Software

What is better to do in updating CPU? - Mac Applications & Software

Hi everybody, May you could help me in that choice: i got a G3 B&B 450 Mhz, and i would like to update my cpu . Is a G4/500 Mhz better than a G3/900, cose they are at the same price ? Thanks for u'r help...

Default What is better to do in updating CPU?

Hi everybody,
    May you could help me in that choice:
    i got a G3 B&B 450 Mhz, and i would like to update my cpu .
    Is a G4/500 Mhz better than a G3/900, cose they are at the same price ?
    Thanks for u'r help
    Eric Guest

Default Re: What is better to do in updating CPU?

In article <tiscali.fr>,
    Eric <fr> wrote:

If you're not using stuff that's G4 (Altivec) aware, you'll get a solid
    2X speed jump from the G3 card. If you're looking to make use of the
    Altivec-specific stuff in programs like Photoshop, MP3 encoders, and
    similar, then the G4 card is mandatory, but won't give you nearly the
    raw speed increase of the G3 card.

I'm going with the assumption that your computer can push the G3 to its
    full 900MHz capability - some rigs (like my 7500) can't be jacked up
    beyond a certain point due to bus speed limitations - The 900MHz G3 is a
    case in point: it'd never run faster than 500MHz in my 7500. Whether or
    not that's a concern with yours is something I don't have enough info to
    tell.

--
    Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - unmunged, SpamAssassinated
    Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.
    I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart
    Fly trap info pages: <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/Horses/FlyTrap/index.html>
    Don Guest

Yes. Don has a good point. There is a processor / bus ratio that should be
    considered. Probably can get away with the G3/800 for $50 less. You won't
    see much of a difference with the G4/500 in every day stuff. The Altivec and
    1MB cache is desireable though.

"Don Bruder" <net> wrote in message
    news:nrk6b.19046$sonic.net... 
    >
    > If you're not using stuff that's G4 (Altivec) aware, you'll get a solid
    > 2X speed jump from the G3 card. If you're looking to make use of the
    > Altivec-specific stuff in programs like Photoshop, MP3 encoders, and
    > similar, then the G4 card is mandatory, but won't give you nearly the
    > raw speed increase of the G3 card.
    >
    > I'm going with the assumption that your computer can push the G3 to its
    > full 900MHz capability - some rigs (like my 7500) can't be jacked up
    > beyond a certain point due to bus speed limitations - The 900MHz G3 is a
    > case in point: it'd never run faster than 500MHz in my 7500. Whether or
    > not that's a concern with yours is something I don't have enough info to
    > tell.
    >
    > --
    > Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - unmunged,[/ref]
    SpamAssassinated 
    info. 
    <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/Horses/FlyTrap/index.html>

Blitzen Guest

In article <SJo6b.45849$srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
    "Blitzen" <net> wrote:

> >
    > > If you're not using stuff that's G4 (Altivec) aware, you'll get a solid
    > > 2X speed jump from the G3 card. If you're looking to make use of the
    > > Altivec-specific stuff in programs like Photoshop, MP3 encoders, and
    > > similar, then the G4 card is mandatory, but won't give you nearly the
    > > raw speed increase of the G3 card.
    > >
    > > I'm going with the assumption that your computer can push the G3 to its
    > > full 900MHz capability - some rigs (like my 7500) can't be jacked up
    > > beyond a certain point due to bus speed limitations - The 900MHz G3 is a
    > > case in point: it'd never run faster than 500MHz in my 7500. Whether or
    > > not that's a concern with yours is something I don't have enough info to
    > > tell.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - unmunged,[/ref]
    > SpamAssassinated 
    > info. 
    > <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/Horses/FlyTrap/index.html>
    >
    >[/ref]

For divx reading and DV--> Mpeg2 conversition, whitch solution would be
    faster ?
    Eric Guest

In article <tiscali.fr>,
    Eric <fr> wrote:

> > SpamAssassinated 
    > > info. 
    > > <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/Horses/FlyTrap/index.html>
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > For divx reading and DV--> Mpeg2 conversition, whitch solution would be
    > faster ?[/ref]

That would depend greatly on exactly how your DVD/Mpeg/whatever program
    was written. If it uses Altivec exclusively, then the G3 isn't going to
    be able to run it AT ALL, so the G4 is your only option. If it uses a
    mixture of Altivec and "normal" PPC instructions, and runs routines
    written in "plain" PPC instead of the Altivec code when it figures out
    it isn't on an Altivec-capable processor, the G3 may be quicker to get
    the job done, or it may be slower, depending on how much of the code is
    "straight" PPC, and how efficient the PPC code that's replacing the
    Altivec parts that can't be run by the G3 is. If it uses no Altivec
    instructions, then the G3 will beat the G4 every time, even without the
    ability to run Altivec code, simply because it's running at twice the
    raw clock speed of the G4. (but even THAT statement may be false, since
    the program could be very poorly written, or it's I/O intensive, and
    you've got a slow drive, or...)

You're really asking the wrong question, I think. There are just too
    many things that can affect the final "fastness" of either of these
    processors (or a specific program runnig on either of them) to be able
    to give you a good idea without *A LOT* more information about *EXACTLY*
    what programs you'll be running, whether they're Altivec enhanced or
    "plain" PPC code, how much of them is Altivec versus "plain" PPC, memory
    availability and allocation, drive throughput, how "compute-bound"
    (versus "I/O-bound") the program(s) might be, and certainly other
    factors that I can't even think of right now. You're trying to get a
    specific answer when you're not giving us (or maybe don't even have,
    yourself) enough info to give you a *GENERAL* answer that's worth much
    of anything.

What it really comes down to is that you're trying to do a comparison
    between apples and oranges. You're not going to get good data.

--
    Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - unmunged, SpamAssassinated
    Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.
    I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart
    Fly trap info pages: <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/Horses/FlyTrap/index.html>
    Don Guest

In article <ONs6b.19156$sonic.net>,
    Don Bruder <net> wrote:

> >
    > > For divx reading and DV--> Mpeg2 conversition, whitch solution would be
    > > faster ?[/ref]
    >
    > That would depend greatly on exactly how your DVD/Mpeg/whatever program
    > was written. If it uses Altivec exclusively, then the G3 isn't going to
    > be able to run it AT ALL, so the G4 is your only option. If it uses a
    > mixture of Altivec and "normal" PPC instructions, and runs routines
    > written in "plain" PPC instead of the Altivec code when it figures out
    > it isn't on an Altivec-capable processor, the G3 may be quicker to get