Professional Web Applications Themes

WHat is more secure by default? - Linux / Unix Administration

FreeBSD 6 or Solaris 10? I know that security is only initiated by the one who is administering the these OSs... But I would like to know which is more secure by default? thanks...

  1. #1

    Default WHat is more secure by default?

    FreeBSD 6 or Solaris 10?

    I know that security is only initiated by the one who is administering
    the these OSs... But I would like to know which is more secure by
    default?

    thanks

    as400 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: WHat is more secure by default?

    I also heard that FReeBSD loads less services by default....So maybe I
    guess its more secure...I dont know...Can someone please shed some
    light on this please?

    as400 Guest

  3. #3

    On 24 Mar 2006 06:25:37 -0800, as400 <com> wrote:

    Wasn't the question "stable" last week?

    You know, if you'd give us half a hint of the context from which you're
    asking these questions, you'd get much, much better answers. As it
    stands, the answer continues to be "it depends".

    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    I am asking....Whether a FreeBSD 6.0 install (without any tweaking) is
    more secure than a standard install of Solaris 10 for x86???

    For a DEFAULT INSTALL for both OSs out of the box...Which one IN
    GENERAL would be the overall secure OS between the two???

    In terms of a default vanilla-type install WITHOUT any security
    configuring, of the two OSs (FreeBSD and Solaris 10)...what would be
    the secure of the two?

    Thanks

    as400 Guest

  5. #5

    On 24 Mar 2006 10:40:55 -0800, as400 <com> wrote:

    Repeating the question won't get you better answers.

    Given that nobody in their right mind would run a raw unconfigured
    server, your question is meaningless. I'll try this one last time.
    What are you trying to do, that the answer to this question matters to
    you?

    Dave "I've got a theory how this one will end up..." Hinz

    Dave Guest

  6. #6

    Are douing this on purpose to me off???

    I SAID....I JUST WANT TO CONMPARE BETWEEN TO TWO.......

    IN GENERAL...WHICH ONE IS MORE SECURE????

    ITs not about me installing it...I just want to know between the two
    OSs UNCONFIGURED BY DEFAULT would be more secure. FreeBSD or
    Solaris...THIS A OVERALL GENEAL QUESTION....

    Its like asking which is more secure Windows or Linux...Well of
    course...LINUX would be more secure...BUT LINUX HAS SECURITY HOLES
    TOO..But not as much as Windows...

    Im tring to ask the same between FtreebSD and Solaris...

    Whats so hard to understand....?????

    IF I was to...BUT IM NOT GOING TO....Install FreeBSD or Solaris WITHOUT
    configuring it in a test lab enviroment...Which one will be more prone
    to security vulnerabilties????

    What ARE thinking???? That IM going to install these without
    configuring it on a server?? THINK FOR A MOMENT...WIll you??

    I am pertainting to a TEST ENVIROMENT...

    If I were to install the default settings out of the box which of the
    two would be more secure in a test lab enviroment?

    as400 Guest

  7. #7

    On 24 Mar 2006 11:18:48 -0800, as400 <com> wrote:

    You just don't get it.

    In general, overall, your question is meaningless.

    You need to go read this and learn from it:
    "How to ask questions the smart way"

    Particularly, in that link above, read "on not reacting like a loser",
    and "how to tell you've seriously ed up".

    If you go read the article and learn from it, and if you haven't already
    been killfiled by everyone else here, you might get some answers to
    better questions.

    Dave Guest

  8. #8

    "as400" <com> writes:

    What kinds of vulnerabilities? What would the machine be doing?
    Are you talking out-of-the-box, or after some basic hardening? What's
    your user base look like?

    I could go on. "It depends" is the only real answer to the
    question you have posed, as you have posed it. You need to give
    significantly more information if you expect a helpful answer.

    What kind of test lab?

    - Tim Skirvin (org)
    --
    http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/ Skirv's Homepage <FISH>< <*>
    http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/resume.html Skirv's Resume

  9. #9

    OMG!!!! You got to be kidding me...

    I am just asking IF which OS is more secure OUT-OF -THE-BOX...WITHOUT
    any manual configuring in general....

    Let me show you an example:

    Take Windows and LINUX...Out of the box...Windows would be less
    secure..right?????

    LINUX is more secure than Windows, but that too... has some security
    issues but not as greatly as much as Windows is...Right?

    So I would be asking the same question between FreeBSD and Solaris....

    Which (for the millionth time)...Which would be generally more secure
    when installing with no security tweaks??

    How hard can this question be???

    And in terms of a server or desktop..No matter which one...

    as400 Guest

  10. #10

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    "as400" <com> writes:

    As Dave has said, the only reasonable answer at this point is "it depends" -
    on your environment, on what you wish to do, on your prof's opinion, on a
    number of factors. Absent that information, nobody really can help you.

    _I_ run FreeBSD + security tweaks on my personal machine. I've run Solaris,
    HP-UX, AIX, Tru64 and a number of other unix or unix-like operating systems in
    widely varying environments, each requiring a different approach to security
    as a result of operating environment - yeah, even test boxen.

    As for ing _you_ off, I'd say you have to back off a bit, read Dave's
    response, and make a real effort to answer reasonable questions in a reasonable
    manner. If you folks here off you're going to have a helluva hard time
    getting any help whatever.

    Bob Melson

    -----
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." Thomas Reed
    -----

    Robert Guest

  11. #11

    For example:

    Solaris has MORE services to be loaded by default than FreeBSD
    would...FreeBSD has NO NFS, Telnet, loaded by default....Solaris has
    these services loaded by default...

    I am asking in terms of a DEFAULT INSTALLTION....Which would be more
    secure? FreeBSD or Solaris???

    as400 Guest

  12. #12

    Well....YOU GUYS ARE NOT READING MY QUESTION after telling you guys
    that AFTER A DEFAULT INSTALLATION...Which would be more secure?

    And this goes for for a desktop or server enviroments.

    as400 Guest

  13. #13

    "as400" <com> writes:

    No, not necessarily.

    Neither.

    - Tim Skirvin (uiuc.edu)
    --
    Theoretical and Computational http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~tskirvin/
    Biophysics, Beckman Institute, UIUC Senior Systems Administrator

  14. #14

    IT DOESNT MATTER WHICH ENVIROMENT!!!!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE...

    EITHER A DESKTOP OR SERVER ENVIROMENT...

    GEEZ!!!! I cannot cannot cannot beleive this...

    I think you guys are doing this on purpose.

    as400 Guest

  15. #15

    "as400" <com> writes:

    Which is more secure, a house or an apartment?

    I think you don't understand the concept of security, and the
    people are here trying to a) teach you and b) get enough information that
    we can answer the question that you *really* want answered.

    - Tim Skirvin (org)
    --
    http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/ Skirv's Homepage <FISH>< <*>
    http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/faqs/ Skirv's FAQs

  16. #16

    What do you mean by "neither"?

    FreeBSD as I heard from elswhere, loads less services by default than
    Solaris does.

    as400 Guest

  17. #17

    Yes I do understand about security more than you would ever
    imagine...Runnind Windows wtihout an AV for many years and not ever
    been infected..never. So please do yourself a favor...Either answer the
    question or leave. WHich is it?

    Simple question - I mean what in God's sake do you want more out of
    from original question? What?

    All Im asking is: For a server/client enviroment, and after a default
    install: No router, no firewall, no nothing....what would be more
    secure as to running? FreeBSd or Solaris? What more do you want? And
    dont say NEITHER, because I know there has to be a bit of a security
    difference in between the two..

    Lets take this one more time:

    Suppose I take two Intel PCs for my Home, and install FreeBSD 6 on the
    other and instal Solaris 10 on the other. With no firewall, no router.
    Without any security software installed..nothing....And have ONLY a
    Internet connection, what would be more secure?

    Thats all Im asking...What more info do you want from me?

    as400 Guest

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    as400 Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. #19

    "as400" <com> writes:

    You're really not getting it.

    More secure in what way? More secure against what? And who?

    Security is not a scalar. If it was, it would be advertised as
    such.

    - Tim Skirvin (org)
    --
    http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/ Skirv's Homepage <FISH>< <*>
    http://www.killfile.org/usenet/ Usenet UIUC

  20. #20

    On 24 Mar 2006 12:04:56 -0800, as400 <com> wrote:

    I see you didn't go read the article, nor did you get the hint about "on
    not reacting like a loser"

    One last suggestion: google <plonk> because you'll be seeing a lot of it
    the way you're going. Here's your first one:
    <plonk>

    Dave Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast