    Removed by Administrator
    Click Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. #2

    Default Re: What is the best resolution you can get from Digital VIDEO camera?

    Click wrote:

    I can't give you any numbers, but I find that digitized video out from
    an old og 8mm camcorder with BIG zoom is ALWAYS better than I can
    get from my non-zoom digicam in any real situation I've encountered
    outdoors. And I never lose the shot due to shutter lag.
    mike

    400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $495
    Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
    Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

    mike Guest

  3. #3

     [/ref]
     [/ref]
    use [/ref]
    enough [/ref]
    advantage [/ref]
    that [/ref]
    speed?

    As well as a Coolpix 995 I have a Sony TRV120E digital video camera with a
    massive 25x optical zoom, and while the resolution / lens flare etc. is not
    pretty, I have got a lot of acceptable captures from it that would be
    totally out of the question for the CP. After all, it is equivalent to 1200
    mm! I carry both cameras though, because if the situation allows it, the CP
    gives way more detail.

    Don't forget that many DV and D8 camcorders also record stills to card as
    well as tape, and some of these are around the 1 Mpixel range - from tape
    it's a maximum of about 1/3 Mpixel!

    Paul

    Paul Guest

  4. #4

    "Click" <com.au> writes:

    Consumer digital video cameras almost all use the DV25 format which is
    720x480 resolution or something close to that. There's a new HDTV
    consumer camera from JVC that costs about 3500 USD and is about
    1024x720. It's about the size of a Sony VX2000 if you're familiar
    with that camera. However it has only a single CCD instead of 3 CCD's.

    Basically, good cameras are built to shoot good stills or to shoot
    good video, one or the other. Cameras that try to do both, tend to do
    both badly.
    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    If it's just the holiday snap type of thing you want, I'd guess that
    many digital camcorders with stills capability would give reasonable
    results. I have a Canon 550i, and though its stills (memory card) are
    not great at full resolution, they print out fine reduced to, say, 65%
    (I've been impressed with the results using photo paper on an Epson
    Photo 810 inkjet), and they're pretty good for web posting.
    Having said that, I'm actively looking for a 3MP digital still camera
    because I recognise that the stills from a video camera are a
    compromise, and I'm jealous of the images friends produce from their
    digi still cameras!
    HTH

    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:16:09 +0800, in
    <3f221cbe$0$11108$optusnet.com.au>, "Click"
    <com.au> said:

    Really, really bad. Like about 640 x 480 smeary, poor contrast pixels.

    Lionel Guest

  7. #7

    In article <bg22tg$u1g$alt.net>, Lionel <net> wrote:

    >Really, really bad. Like about 640 x 480 smeary, poor contrast pixels.[/ref]

    The best would be 1920x1024x60.

    But you don't want to know the price.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason Guest

  8. #8

    Jason O'Rourke <csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:

    err, that would be 1920x1080.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason Guest

  9. #9

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:09:40 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bg2sp4$1n7l$berkeley.edu>, csua.berkeley.edu (Jason
    O'Rourke) said:

    >err, that would be 1920x1080.[/ref]

    That high? I was under the impression that such cameras didn't do real
    interlacing? (And that even if they did, they'd be limited to 625 (NTSC)
    or 525 lines (PAL) anyway.)

    Lionel Guest

  10. #10

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:16:49 +1000
    Lionel ( net )
    Wrote

    > >err, that would be 1920x1080.[/ref]
    >
    > That high? I was under the impression that such cameras didn't do real
    > interlacing? (And that even if they did, they'd be limited to 625 (NTSC)
    > or 525 lines (PAL) anyway.)[/ref]

    They certainly do real interlacing, shooting 60fps for a 30fps end
    product. At the top end they are being used for Cinema and produce up to
    850 lines. The new Dalsa Origin (not on the market yet) has an effective
    resolution of 4046x2048 and an output of 1.2 gb a second. What is
    holding up the commercial release of behemoths like this is the storage
    facilities required, and projection facilities that can handle the
    image.
    http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2003/07_jul/features/cw_dalsa_origin.htm
    Alan Guest

  11. #11

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:41:51 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bg4cbv$2n6k$berkeley.edu>, csua.berkeley.edu (Jason
    O'Rourke) said:

    Oh, I see. I was assuming that the conversation was about consumer video
    cameras. I hadn't considered HDTV cameras.

    Yikes!

    Lionel Guest

  12. #12

    Alan Brennan <fast.buddy> staggered into the Bada Bing and slurred:

    How long until they're $200?
    5 years?

    "She's so fat, her blood type is Ragu."
    Silvio Guest

  13. #13

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:02:16 -0700
    Silvio Dante ( net )
    Wrote

    > How long until they're $200?
    > 5 years?
    >[/ref]
    It's probable that the technology will be in consumer level cameras in 5
    years or so. Even now you can get camcorders using 3 CCDs and giving
    pretty good NTSC or PAL resolution for about $3-4k. But for your 60k
    you are getting lots of mechanical bits and pieces that won't ever drop
    in price. A precision pan and tilt head costs about $15,000 for example,
    and even a lowly tripod adapter plate will set you back $500 or so. And
    that's not even beginning on the lenses.
    Alan Guest