Professional Web Applications Themes

What is the highest shutter speed (for a Canon 10D) can be used with Flash Stobes - Photography

1/200 is fine with mine "anon" <anon_unohotmail.com> wrote in message news:c9ca105a.0307031616.3d688c19posting.google.c om... > Hi All, > > I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync > Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with > Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do > it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in > a studio environment? > > Any info. would be greatly appreciated. > > Regards, > Anon...

  1. #1

    Default Re: What is the highest shutter speed (for a Canon 10D) can be used with Flash Stobes

    1/200 is fine with mine

    "anon" <anon_unohotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:c9ca105a.0307031616.3d688c19posting.google.c om...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync
    > Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with
    > Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do
    > it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    > a studio environment?
    >
    > Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Anon

    Derek Guest

  2. #2

    That's more a function of the flash duration of the strobe, the shutter
    speed will have little effect in a darkened studio. Most strobes firing
    duration is typically 1/2000, enough to freeze most motion.

    ? Just wondering how people do
    > it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    > a studio environment?
    >
    > Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Anon

    Derek Guest

  3. #3

    In article <c9ca105a.0307031616.3d688c19posting.google.com >, [email]anon_unohotmail.com[/email] (anon) wrote:
    >Hi All,
    >
    >I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync
    >Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with
    >Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do
    >it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    >a studio environment?
    >
    >Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Anon
    i think the 10D can sync at 1/4000 in HS mode using canon speedlights 420ex
    and 550ex. not sure about earlier models.
    Obake Guest

  4. #4

    If you're in a darkened studio, set the flash sync to the second curtain and
    it will be more natural looking. Alternatively, use the smallest apeture you
    can on about half a second and the flash will go off for about 1/2000 of a
    second and the shutter will close in time to avoid sever overexposure. The
    good thing about digitals is that you can do some experimentation and see
    the results.
    JT

    "Obake" <obakegehenna.com> wrote in message
    news:3f04d7f9$0$26638$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > In article <c9ca105a.0307031616.3d688c19posting.google.com >,
    [email]anon_unohotmail.com[/email] (anon) wrote:
    > >Hi All,
    > >
    > >I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync
    > >Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with
    > >Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do
    > >it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    > >a studio environment?
    > >
    > >Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >Anon
    >
    > i think the 10D can sync at 1/4000 in HS mode using canon speedlights
    420ex
    > and 550ex. not sure about earlier models.

    Auspics Guest

  5. #5

    Remember this is the shutter speed of the camera. The flash speed is MUCH
    shorter and this will freeze the apple.

    "anon" <anon_unohotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:c9ca105a.0307031616.3d688c19posting.google.c om...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync
    > Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with
    > Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do
    > it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    > a studio environment?
    >
    > Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Anon

    Cameraman Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3f04e7d7dnews.tpgi.com.au>, "Cameraman" says...

    >Remember this is the shutter speed of the camera. The flash speed is MUCH
    >shorter and this will freeze the apple.

    And probably the arrow, too ;)

    Andrew Mc Guest

  7. #7

    Sync speed doesn't affect this - I've seen exploded eggs and christmas
    decorations done with the G2 - it's the flash you use that does the
    stop motion, not the camera...

    Cheers,
    Stuart

    On 3 Jul 2003 17:16:06 -0700, [email]anon_unohotmail.com[/email] (anon) wrote:
    >Hi All,
    >
    >I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync
    >Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with
    >Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do
    >it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    >a studio environment?
    >
    >Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Anon
    Stuart Elflett Guest

  8. #8

    "Cameraman" <ozphotographerHOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message news:<3f04e7d7dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
    > Remember this is the shutter speed of the camera. The flash speed is MUCH
    > shorter and this will freeze the apple.
    >
    > "anon" <anon_unohotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:c9ca105a.0307031616.3d688c19posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync
    > > Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with
    > > Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do
    > > it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    > > a studio environment?
    > >
    > > Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Anon
    So are you saying setting the shutter speed on the camera to 1/200s is
    fine to produce such studio shot? I am getting my 10D at the end of
    this month. I have an EOS50 and it won't allow me to set the shutter
    speed over 1/150s if I have a flash attached to it (Flash unit = 380EX
    I think).
    anon Guest

  9. #9

    [email]obakegehenna.com[/email] (Obake) wrote in message news:<3f04d7f9$0$26638$afc38c87news.optusnet.com. au>...
    > In article <c9ca105a.0307031616.3d688c19posting.google.com >, [email]anon_unohotmail.com[/email] (anon) wrote:
    > >Hi All,
    > >
    > >I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync
    > >Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with
    > >Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do
    > >it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    > >a studio environment?
    > >
    > >Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >Anon
    >
    > i think the 10D can sync at 1/4000 in HS mode using canon speedlights 420ex
    > and 550ex. not sure about earlier models.
    But I was referring to Studio Flash and not the CANON 550EX or 420EX.
    Not too sure if it's possible. I have a Sony DSC-F707 and it can be
    set with a shutter speed of 1/1000s in Manual model even with an
    external flash attached to it. Tried this on,my CANON EOS 50 and it
    automatically set the shutter speed down back to 1/125s.
    anon Guest

  10. #10

    yes you can use 1/200th with strobes, but to get 1/200 you need to set CFn
    in 1/3 stop increments, otherwise you'll get 1/180 or 1/250 from memory.

    "anon" <anon_unohotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:c9ca105a.0307032228.31ad22cposting.google.co m...
    > "Cameraman" <ozphotographerHOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
    > > Remember this is the shutter speed of the camera. The flash speed is
    MUCH
    > > shorter and this will freeze the apple.
    > >
    > > "anon" <anon_unohotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > news:c9ca105a.0307031616.3d688c19posting.google.c om...
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync
    > > > Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with
    > > > Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do
    > > > it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    > > > a studio environment?
    > > >
    > > > Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Anon
    > So are you saying setting the shutter speed on the camera to 1/200s is
    > fine to produce such studio shot? I am getting my 10D at the end of
    > this month. I have an EOS50 and it won't allow me to set the shutter
    > speed over 1/150s if I have a flash attached to it (Flash unit = 380EX
    > I think).

    Derek Guest

  11. #11

    Obake wrote:

    > In article <c9ca105a.0307031616.3d688c19posting.google.com >, [email]anon_unohotmail.com[/email] (anon) wrote:
    > >Hi All,
    > >
    > >I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync
    > >Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with
    > >Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do
    > >it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    > >a studio environment?
    > >
    > >Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >Anon
    >
    > i think the 10D can sync at 1/4000 in HS mode using canon speedlights 420ex
    > and 550ex. not sure about earlier models.
    I am guessing that you asked about arrows and apples as an example.. not
    because you want to photograph one BUT....
    EX flashes can take a 1/4000th shot of an arrow but in portrait format
    and you will get an arrow that looks like it is broken into little
    pieces.
    You may jag one whole arow in landscape format... if one of the flashes
    strobes coincides with the position of the arrow on relation to the two
    curtains.

    This is because the HS sync is really a series of flashes taken over a
    series of slits between the two shutter curtains of the camera.
    BRenton
    Brenton Guest

  12. #12

    The tricky bit is pressing the button at the moment the arrow goes through
    the apple!

    The camera, regardless of how fast it can sync the flash to the shutter,
    even the fancy ones with vertical travel shutter curtains which can get a
    stop faster and the even older ones with the shutter at the lens that can
    sync even faster, can't predict when the arrow will hit the orange. There is
    also a delay between pressing the button, the autofocus working, the
    autoexposure working, the mirror lifting, the first curtain opening and the
    second curtain closing. The amount of time the shutter is open for
    determines the distance between the two curtains and at faster speeds is the
    first is not fully open befor the second starts closing. If you try to take
    a flash picture at these higher speeds, you get a strip across the film of
    the bit that was flashed and the rest is badly underexposed by the
    background light.

    The tricky bit is actually done by using an electronic trigger circuit to
    control the flash and the shutter is normally locked open for 1/2 to several
    seconds in a darkened lab.

    I have made a sound triggered flash control circuit with delay from one of
    the electronic magazines and am modifying it to trigger from a broken
    contact by using a short thin piece of wire to break itself or away from
    it's clips as the arrow is released.

    You can also use or modify a slave flash that is triggered by a main flash.

    Similar circuits have been used for many of the "high speed photography"
    shots that have graced science textbooks, weapons brochures and museums for
    years.

    Hope this helps,
    Peter

    Bushy Guest

  13. #13

  14. #14

    Well...
    Now that everyone has had a crack at answering this somewhat simple but
    complex question. This answer is from Canon themselves.
    " In Aperture priority, AE mode (P) the shutter will sync at 1/60th to
    1/200th sec.
    In A-DEP (Auto depth of field) mode, the sync is the same range as above.
    In all other modes, the shutter will sync anywhere between 30 seconds and
    1/200th sec.
    Large Studio flashes may only sync at 1/60th sec."

    My original post where I suggested using a half second exposure and letting
    the electronics do the calculations, will not work in 'Program' or 'A-DEP'
    mode but after doing some test shots last night, I can now say with
    confidence that you can capture action you would otherwise not get by
    opening the shutter and then manually discharging the flash. This is a
    method I have used for years on everything from 8"x10" Polaroids to 35mm
    cameras.
    This is also a simple way to capture fireworks at night. The second curtain
    flash sync is also quite good because it delays the flash until just before
    the shutter closes.
    JT

    "anon" <anon_unohotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:c9ca105a.0307031616.3d688c19posting.google.c om...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I read that on the spec that a CANON 10D can have a highest Flash Sync
    > Speed of 1/200sec. Does that mean any higher speed to be used with
    > Studio Stobes are not possible on a 10D? Just wondering how people do
    > it if they are to capture let's say an arrow going through an apple in
    > a studio environment?
    >
    > Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Anon

    Auspics Guest

  15. #15

    "Bushy" <pleasereply.to.group> wrote in message
    > The tricky bit is pressing the button at the moment the arrow goes through
    > the apple!
    Here's my little effort into sound triggers...

    [url]http://www.usefilm.com/showarticle.php?id=4[/url]

    Cheers, Nige

    Nige Guest

  16. #16

    [url]http://courses.ncssm.edu/hsi/pacsci/student_photos.html[/url]

    [url]http://www.sciencephoto.com/html_tech_archive/highsp.html[/url]

    This one has heaps of info.
    [url]http://www.hiviz.com/[/url]

    Some interesting pages
    BRenton
    Brenton Guest

  17. #17

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:22:16 GMT, "Auspics" <justthe.groups> wrote:
    >Well...
    >Now that everyone has had a crack at answering this somewhat simple but
    >complex question. This answer is from Canon themselves.
    >" In Aperture priority, AE mode (P) the shutter will sync at 1/60th to
    >1/200th sec.
    >In A-DEP (Auto depth of field) mode, the sync is the same range as above.
    >In all other modes, the shutter will sync anywhere between 30 seconds and
    >1/200th sec.
    >Large Studio flashes may only sync at 1/60th sec."
    Yes, that's what the manual says... I have experimented a little with
    my 10D and Bowens Digital DX 500 monoblocs and I can sync up to 1/400
    of a second with first-curtain syns. Haven't tried it with 2nd curtain
    sync, since I was only killing some time, playing... :-)
    Regards,

    Rudi
    [url]http://www.rudiphoto.net/[/url]
    Rudi Guest

  18. #18

    Rudi <rudiwork.again> wrote in message news:<frmcgvksrjtsn2mp6pi4pf14f1360dlgh74ax.com>. ..
    > On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:22:16 GMT, "Auspics" <justthe.groups> wrote:
    >
    > >Well...
    > >Now that everyone has had a crack at answering this somewhat simple but
    > >complex question. This answer is from Canon themselves.
    > >" In Aperture priority, AE mode (P) the shutter will sync at 1/60th to
    > >1/200th sec.
    > >In A-DEP (Auto depth of field) mode, the sync is the same range as above.
    > >In all other modes, the shutter will sync anywhere between 30 seconds and
    > >1/200th sec.
    > >Large Studio flashes may only sync at 1/60th sec."
    >
    > Yes, that's what the manual says... I have experimented a little with
    > my 10D and Bowens Digital DX 500 monoblocs and I can sync up to 1/400
    > of a second with first-curtain syns. Haven't tried it with 2nd curtain
    > sync, since I was only killing some time, playing... :-)
    > Regards,
    >
    > Rudi
    > [url]http://www.rudiphoto.net/[/url]

    Rudi,
    What shooting mode were you in when the camera allowed you to use a
    sync/shutter speed at 1/400s? How did you trigger your Bowens? via a
    cable or optically?

    I have a radio trigger which like a flash hotshoe and fits on top of
    the camera (just like a external flash unit). I am getting my Canon
    10D in 2 weeks and my concern (only a little one) is that the camera
    may not allow us to set the shutter speed over 1/200s as soon as I
    place an external flash/radio trigger unit onto the camera.

    BTW, thank you for all those who have responsed and provided info. to
    this thread. Much appreciated.

    Regards,
    Anon
    anon Guest

  19. #19

    Phil <phil-unseneturbanoia.net> wrote in message news:<3F052CDE.5090709urbanoia.net>...
    > anon wrote:
    >
    > > But I was referring to Studio Flash and not the CANON 550EX or 420EX.
    > > Not too sure if it's possible. I have a Sony DSC-F707 and it can be
    > > set with a shutter speed of 1/1000s in Manual model even with an
    > > external flash attached to it. Tried this on,my CANON EOS 50 and it
    > > automatically set the shutter speed down back to 1/125s.
    >
    > does the Sony actually have a mechanical shutter though? i know a lot of
    > the cheaper fixed lens digital cameras don't actually have one, which
    > would eliminate the flash sync problem...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Phil
    Phil,

    I don't believe the Sony has a mechanical shutter, that would explain
    why it doesn't have the flash sync problem.

    Regards,
    Anon
    anon Guest

  20. #20

    Brenton <neuschulzbigpond.com> wrote in message news:<3F062072.CEA94077bigpond.com>...
    > [url]http://courses.ncssm.edu/hsi/pacsci/student_photos.html[/url]
    >
    > [url]http://www.sciencephoto.com/html_tech_archive/highsp.html[/url]
    >

    > This one has heaps of info.
    > [url]http://www.hiviz.com/[/url]
    >
    > Some interesting pages
    > BRenton
    BRenton,

    Thank you for the links (and others who has supplied similar info.).
    If I can understand it correctly, there are basically 2 ways to freeze
    the moment.

    (1) Use very fast shutter speed (which is a limitation with my Canon
    10d).
    (2) Use very short flash duration. Which probably the way I need to go
    if I gonna attempt to shoot such shots. I have a set of Elinchrom
    Style. I just check on the spec. and it said that the duration is
    around 1/2000s. I think this should work for me.

    Regards,
    Anon
    anon Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast