Professional Web Applications Themes

What is YOUR dream PRINTER? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I'm thinking about doing the bulk of my own printing and getting a printer that will do great (perfect?) to the edge prints on paper up to 11" wide. Under a thousand bucks, what is the best there is? ~Cindy...

  1. #1

    Default What is YOUR dream PRINTER?

    I'm thinking about doing the bulk of my own printing and getting a printer that will do great (perfect?) to the edge prints on paper up to 11" wide. Under a thousand bucks, what is the best there is?

    ~Cindy
    Cindy Singleton Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What is YOUR dream PRINTER?

    My dream printer charges me half of his current rates, uses a PC instead of a Mac, and can speak a language I can understand... Oh, sorry, different kind of printer!

    Cindy,

    Personally, it's a Frank Lloyd Wright thing - Form Follows Function.

    I do all my own in-house printing (well most of it), and have an Epson 1280 (wide print). My color output and resolution are excellent for the images I produce. I could have gone with more colors (2200 series), but frankly, it doesn't help me for my particular application.

    So my point is, I have my perfect printer, and it's not the absolute best in its class.

    The three things that one must balance are the following, and as far as I know there isn't a single printer that is the best at all:

    * Speed
    * Color Gamut
    * Paper Handling

    Usually, you get two out of the three.

    I would advise though, the following. True or not, HP is categorized as a business printer, Epson is a graphic professionals printer. I like Epsons consistency and paper handling and predicable color rendering. Not everyone will agree.

    That's my two cents.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest

  3. #3

    Are all printers problematic in one way or another. Ink cost seems the
    biggest hurdle to me.

    William Kazak Guest

  4. #4

    Cindy,

    Under a thousand bucks, today it would be the Epson 2200 in the United States. In Europe/UK it would be the Epson 2100 (the Euro version, but with some different drivers and support software.)

    The Epson 2200/2100 gives you 13x19 large printing, permanent pigment inks, and outstanding photo quality prints. Its two black inks allow it to do a good job on B/W prints as well.

    Actually, I would prefer to print as large as 24 inches, so I am kind of "holding out" for an affordable printer in that size range. I think Epson is overdue to introduce some new printers this year.

    If you don't need the permanence of pigment inks, dye-based printers with 13x19 capability include the Epson 1280/1290 and the Canon S-9000. If you are interested, I or others can post URLs to pertinent reviews.

    -- Burton --
    Burton Ogden Guest

  5. #5

    My perfect printer is one that buys and changes it's own cartridges, and reloads the paper when it's out. I'd buy one of them. :)

    Sorry, pointless post, but it had to be said.
    Kenn Baynard Guest

  6. #6

    Cindy,

    If there is such a printer that orders, changes and pays for its own ink,
    I'd like the link to it!

    My printer does that, but unfortunately it uses my credit card to pay for the ink. (grin) Just kidding.

    Is there any rumor that Epson will be releasing a wider format printer
    that costs less than 3 grande?

    If you are willing to go as high as $3000, there may be a wide format printer available now. But, like I said, the other shoe hasn't dropped yet on Epson's new printers for 2003.

    -- Burton --
    Burton Ogden Guest

  7. #7

    Yeah, I saw the $3,000 and that's MY dream printer! Can't swing that amount right now, though. Too many other wants on the list. The 2200 would fill the bulk of my needs for now.

    Printers can't be trusted with credit cards.

    ~Cindy
    Cindy Singleton Guest

  8. #8

    Cindy,

    You didn't REALLY leave your credit card at the print shop did you??

    * intentional pun*

    Bill
    Bill Lamp Guest