On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:57:30PM -0800, Holtor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a freebsd 4.10 server. Is there anyway I can find out what kind ofmotherboard is inside it
> without acctually taking it apart? I noticed that other servers running FreeBSD 5.3 tell me in the
> kernel bootup which can be seen in /var/run/dmesg.boot but in 4.10 I do not see it anywhere. Is
> there a command to see it or a sysctl which shows it or anything? Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Please CC: me on any replies as I am not subscribed to the list yet.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Holt G.
My general thought is no. The manufacturer of a particular mainboard
does not necessarily have anything to do with the manufacturer of any of
the particular components on said motherboard - the components with
which FreeBSD may actually interact, and this included the BIOS/CMOS
chip.

Sometimes it's really difficult to determine the manufacturer of a
mainboard even by opening the box. In some cases you may have to fall
back on the FCC id, and in other cases you won't even find that.

Nathan