Professional Web Applications Themes

what makes ftp'ing to sco 5.0.5 slow - SCO

Where can I find a log or settings on my sco 5.0.5 box to find out why is that when somebody tries to ftp in this machine it takes sometimes a couple of seconds and some times it's instantaneously and worse times it just drops the connection and leaves an fptd process running. How come on the same machine all incoming telnet connections are 100% completed and fast when given the login ??? I installed a windoze network sniffer on the same network where the ftp calling party is, but it doesn't tell me much. I'm running a cron-like process ...

  1. #1

    Default what makes ftp'ing to sco 5.0.5 slow

    Where can I find a log or settings on my sco 5.0.5 box to find out why is
    that when somebody tries to ftp in this machine it takes sometimes a couple
    of seconds and some times it's instantaneously and worse times it just drops
    the connection and leaves an fptd process running. How come on the same
    machine all incoming telnet connections are 100% completed and fast when
    given the login ???

    I installed a windoze network sniffer on the same network where the ftp
    calling party is, but it doesn't tell me much.

    I'm running a cron-like process on a windows machine that ftp's to the sco
    box every five minutes looking for a file to process some information but
    then it hangs when sco box timesout and I have to manually hit enter on the
    windows computer in order to clear the message. So If I'm gone and a message
    pops up then it does nothing until you clear the error.

    Thanks

    Enrique Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: what makes ftp'ing to sco 5.0.5 slow

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:08:46 GMT, "Enrique Arredondo"
    <net> wrote:

    /var/adm/xferlog

    BTW, is telnet slow too?
    --
    gburnore at DataBasix dot Com
    How you look depends on where you go.
    | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
    Official .sig, Accept no substitutes. | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
    | 0 1 7 2 3 / ݳ 3 7 4 9 3 0 ۳
    Black Helicopter Repair Services, Ltd.| Official Proof of Purchase
    Gary Guest

  3. #3

    "Gary L. Burnore" <com> wrote in message
    news:blkfh6$g0q$databasix.com... [/ref]
    couple [/ref]
    drops

    > /var/adm/xferlog
    >

    > BTW, is telnet slow too?[/ref]

    It's not, telnet is fast!, I watched the ftp transaction more closely and
    it's hanging (20% of the times) right after the command "get FILENAME" the
    it responds back with "200 ......" and then that's it, it stays like that
    without receiving any file and after 20 seconds the windows ftp just closes
    automatically. But other times it does transfer no problem. It seems that
    this is an intermittent problem.

    Thanks
    EA

    Enrique Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:08:46 GMT, "Enrique Arredondo"
    <net> wrote:

    Take a look through /var/adm/syslog, and possibly /var/adm/xferlog (if
    you have enabled logging in /etc/ftpaccess). You may find an
    indication of the problem in there.

    Do you have the 5.0.5 patches installed, specifically rs505a and
    oss497c? (type customquery listpatches | head -2) Incorrect DNS
    settings? Are you FTPing/telnetting by name or IP address?

    Using FTP from the Windoze command line, or a third-party product?
    And does telnet work properly on this Windoze machine?

    Scott McMillan

    Scott Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Enrique Arredondo wrote:

    Could it be the inetd waiting for an ident reply? In some cases, a reply
    is sent, in other cases, the ident query is rejected and finally, in
    others, the ident query is silently dropped. In the latter case, the inetd
    may wait for a timeout period.

    Joe Guest

  6. #6

    In article <OWifb.11349$news.prodigy.com>,
    Enrique Arredondo <net> wrote:

    So some questions. Are the ftp sessions from a local LAN, or from
    the internet where the far end is broadband, or with the far end
    on dial-up?

    With telnet always fast and ftp slow on some connections it
    sounds like it could be packet sizes on one of the machines are set
    too high and thus have to be split. Ftp is going to use large
    segments while telnet is going to be using quite small packets.

    This is just a thought. You might try dropping your MTU down to
    20-30 bytes below 1500 in case some machine isn't correctly
    dropping them down. And if any of these are using dialup to access
    the net you might check to see if the MTU is about 552.

    This may be way off base, but it's worth checking.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    On Sat, Oct 04, 2003, Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >So some questions. Are the ftp sessions from a local LAN, or from
    >the internet where the far end is broadband, or with the far end
    >on dial-up?
    >
    >With telnet always fast and ftp slow on some connections it
    >sounds like it could be packet sizes on one of the machines are set
    >too high and thus have to be split. Ftp is going to use large
    >segments while telnet is going to be using quite small packets.[/ref]

    Usually slow ftp connections are caused by slow DNS or missing reverse DNS
    (rDNS), particularly using the wu-ftpd ftp server configured to require
    some rDNS for a connection.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``There is nothing as stupid as an educated man if you get him off the
    thing he was educated in.''
    Will Rogers
    Bill Guest

  8. #8

    In article <mi.celestial.com>,
    Bill Campbell <com> wrote: [/ref]

    >>So some questions. Are the ftp sessions from a local LAN, or from
    >>the internet where the far end is broadband, or with the far end
    >>on dial-up?
    >>
    >>With telnet always fast and ftp slow on some connections it
    >>sounds like it could be packet sizes on one of the machines are set
    >>too high and thus have to be split. Ftp is going to use large
    >>segments while telnet is going to be using quite small packets.[/ref][/ref]

    I understood him to mean that the ftp transfers were slow after
    establishing the connections, not setting up the connection.

    If it was setting up the connections then it is related to DNS.
    If it's slow transfers I'd still check the MTU settings, as that
    has been a problem in differences.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:08:46 GMT, "Enrique Arredondo"
    <net> wrote:

    Sigh. 3 paragraphs and the only useful number is the version number.
    Time for a rhetorical interrogation.

    1. Is this 10base-T, 100base-TX, or 100base-T4? Half or full duplex?
    What ethernet card (make and model)? There are a few cards that do a
    rotten job of NWAY speed and protocol negotiation and require that the
    space.c file for the ethernet card be tweaked to disable
    auto-negotiation.

    2. Are there any routers, firewalls, hubs, switches, bridges, modems,
    bridges, media converters, black boxes, or two tin cans and a string,
    between the OSR5 box and the "somebody" that tries to ftp to the
    machine? Just where on this network is this "somebody". Would they
    perhaps be coming from the internet (via a DSL, T1, ISDN, modem,
    frame-relay, etc) connection that just might require optimization of
    the maximum default receive window? This is especially a problem with
    10baseT cards in OSR5 boxes that non-cleverly default to a 4KByte
    receive window. See:

    http://www.google.com/groups?selm=com
    for my previous rant on the subject.

    3. Have you looked for packet loss? Try:
    netstat -n -e
    and
    llistat
    and look for errors after a massive ftp transfer.

    4. Since you have a sniffer, see if there are any massive number of
    retransmissions. That usually indicates some kind of a hardware or
    packet loss issue.

    5. My guess(tm) the reason that telnet works, but ftp fails, is
    because of either the packet size issue, or the max receive window
    issue. Telnet packets are very small and are not susceptible to the
    same performance issues found in services that more bytes in larger
    chunks than telnet.

    Good luck.
    # santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager com AE6KS
    Jeff Guest

  10. #10

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:08:46 GMT, "Enrique Arredondo" <net> wrote:

    If your FTP is slow at logging in you can disable the reverse lookup by adding a
    line in the /etc/ftpaccess file:

    timeout RFC931 0

    Gary Quiring

    Gary Guest

  11. #11

    "Scott McMillan" <net> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    couple

    Here's what I found at syslog :

    Oct 7 09:41:29 atksco ftpd[20517]: USER credit
    Oct 7 09:41:29 atksco ftpd[20517]: PASS password
    Oct 7 09:41:30 atksco ftpd[20517]: TYPE Image
    Oct 7 09:41:30 atksco ftpd[20517]: PASV
    Oct 7 09:41:30 atksco ftpd[20517]: RETR ./BATCHIN.CSV

    at xferlog :

    Wed Oct 8 07:41:25 2003 1 adsl-64-164-173-84.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net 0
    /usr2/cre
    dit/BATCHIN.CSV b _ o r credit ftp 0 *
     [/ref]
    drops

    > Do you have the 5.0.5 patches installed, specifically rs505a and
    > oss497c? (type customquery listpatches | head -2) Incorrect DNS
    > settings? Are you FTPing/telnetting by name or IP address?[/ref]

    Yes I have those patches

    It was working before with no problem but then it started failing.

    I'm telnet/ftp'ing using a IP address from a DSL connection to the main
    server over a T1
     [/ref]
    sco [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    message

    > Using FTP from the Windoze command line, or a third-party product?
    > And does telnet work properly on this Windoze machine?[/ref]

    I'm using WS FTP and I also tried windoze command line, both fail 20% of the
    times. Telnet works great on the same machine

    Thanks

    Enrique Guest

  12. #12

    "Bill Campbell" <com> wrote in message

    > >So some questions. Are the ftp sessions from a local LAN, or from
    > >the internet where the far end is broadband, or with the far end
    > >on dial-up?
    > >
    > >With telnet always fast and ftp slow on some connections it
    > >sounds like it could be packet sizes on one of the machines are set
    > >too high and thus have to be split. Ftp is going to use large
    > >segments while telnet is going to be using quite small packets.[/ref]
    >
    > Usually slow ftp connections are caused by slow DNS or missing reverse DNS
    > (rDNS), particularly using the wu-ftpd ftp server configured to require
    > some rDNS for a connection.
    >
    > Bill[/ref]

    How do I check if it's set to requiere rDNS for a connection ? How do I
    disable that ?

    Thanks
    EA

    Enrique Guest

  13. #13

    "Gary Quiring" <com> wrote in message
    wrote: [/ref]
    couple [/ref]
    drops [/ref]
    sco [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    message
    > If your FTP is slow at logging in you can disable the reverse lookup by[/ref]
    adding a

    I tried it but it stills errors with "call block canceled" (when using WS
    ftp)
    But thanks , it's good to know how to disable the reverse lookup

    Enrique Guest

  14. #14

    In article <K1Xgb.8769$news.prodigy.com>,
    Enrique Arredondo <net> wrote:

    Have you checked your DSL speed links. Go to one of the testing
    sites and check transfers. I normally get a 1.3Mbit down and
    a 364Kbit up - but I've seen it drop quite low - inlcuding one time
    that I guess there were severe line problems when transfer
    speeds were 64Kbit - just a bit over that of a 56Kmodem DL and
    twice that of a 56K up.

    On the DSL are you going to the T1 or from the T1. Typical DSL -
    unless you have SDLS - have about a 4:1 speed difference between
    down an up and this is because of the say DSL is designed.

    Check true link speed before you work on the SW side.
    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest