Professional Web Applications Themes

What meg camera should I buy? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I will on a rare occation want to enlarge photos to 11X14....

  1. #1

    Default What meg camera should I buy?

    I will on a rare occation want to enlarge photos to 11X14.
    uncle Tom Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What meg camera should I buy?

    If you'll be enlarging photos to 11X14, a 4 megapixel camera would be the minimum... and that's if you plan on not cropping much.

    But do check out the optics of the lens you're considering. Some 3MP cameras will turn out sharper images than a 4 or 5 MP due to superior lens quality.
    Ken Wolin Guest

  3. #3

    Ken,

    What camera's with better lenses are you referring to?

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  4. #4

    Ken,

    One more question.
    In terms of sharpness, how does your digital camera compare to a conventional camera?
    Reason I am asking is that I am getting slightly annoyed with the (not so)sharpness of my digital camera (nikon 990).

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  5. #5

    UT - look at the Canon G3 (4 MP), the Canon G5 (5 MP) and the Minolta Dimage
    S414 (4 MP), three popular cameras in the performance range you need for
    your enlargements.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which I love. Small enough to carry around, but
    with 5 mp it takes great shots. Heard they just had a price drop plus
    rebate on the thing too.

    Karen

    "Schraven Robert" <rschravattglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Ken,
    >
    > One more question.
    > In terms of sharpness, how does your digital camera compare to a
    conventional camera?
    > Reason I am asking is that I am getting slightly annoyed with the (not
    so)sharpness of my digital camera (nikon 990).

    > Robert

    ---

    Woolie Guest

  7. #7

    Kenny,

    Thank you for your advice.
    I already do a certain amount of tweaking etc.
    Despite the enhancing I feel I don't get the maximum sharpness out of the camera.
    But may be I expect too much too soon.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  8. #8

    Just a little math.
    You need 11x14 at 300 dpi; that makes 3300x4200 pixels. (13 megapixel)
    I know some people on this forum question this, but my experience is you can upsample about 4x without any serious loss, applying the bicubic upsampling as provided in Elements.
    Let's be on the safe side and upsample just only 3x linear; this makes 1100x1400=1.54 megapixel and so a 2 megapixel camera will be able to do the job.
    My Fuji S2 allows me to print at least at 20x30 and no customer has ever complained yet.
    But, as usual, the more pixels the better.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  9. #9

    I understand that it's also true that a DSLR with a larger sensor allows you to upsize a lot more than a compact with the same number of pixels - the individual sensors are larger and not so squashed up, (very technical!) meaning that there's a lot less noise in the recorded image and together with the sharper image from the decent glass in front of the sensor gives a much sharper result. My friend with a Canon D30 (3MP) can get more satisfactory enlargements than I can with my compact Canon G3 (4MP - and now discontinued I believe, but a very good buy)
    Of course now Canon have announced their sub $1000US (including lens) 6MP DSLR, I am slightly regretting rushing into buying a compact. I could almost have afforded one of those...
    Susan S.
    Susan S. Guest

  10. #10

    Susan, I would have guessed that the differences between the D30 and G3
    images would have been mostly the result of the larger and better quality
    lens being used on the D30 - seems like the additional light-gathering power
    would translate into some improvement in final image. That's just a gut
    feel, though.

    The new Canon 300D sure looks like a breakthrough in price/performance; they
    may have just the right camera for the amateur film SLR enthusiast who's
    looking for a similar experience with digital without having to take a
    second job to pay for it.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest