Professional Web Applications Themes

what os and type should i use - Mac Programming

im ok at java and database programming in foxpro just to give a background idea of me. i wrote this program in foxpro that automatically took an exported database from filemaker pro and generated an interactive calendar in html and javascript for my band's gigs to be then uploaded to our website. i recently upgraded to OSX which means i have to say goodbye to my foxpro days unless im willing to move to PC. id love to write a program independent of foxpro that would do this for me so i can use it in OSX. i know i ...

  1. #1

    Default what os and type should i use

    im ok at java and database programming in foxpro just to give a
    background idea of me.

    i wrote this program in foxpro that automatically took an exported
    database from filemaker pro and generated an interactive calendar in
    html and javascript for my band's gigs to be then uploaded to our
    website.
    i recently upgraded to OSX which means i have to say goodbye to my
    foxpro days unless im willing to move to PC.
    id love to write a program independent of foxpro that would do this
    for me so i can use it in OSX.

    i know i can maybe do it in java but i really would like to do it in
    C.

    now should i use C or C++?
    and should i use cocoa or whatever else im seeing in my Codewarrior
    IDE?

    i have NO idea how to start and what direction to go in.
    Sean Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: what os and type should i use

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Sean Bartholomew) wrote:

    OK, it sounds like the direction you want to go is to get a calendar you
    can share starting with a database of some kind. It's may be possible
    to do this with existing packages. The sensible thing to do would be to
    standardize on the iCalendar format. Advantages include direct support
    of subscriptions using iCal, web publishing with:

    http://phpicalendar.sourceforge.net/nuke/

    and advertising/lazy use of the above by adding it to:

    http://www.icalshare.com/

    To get there it depends a lot on what you have. If you have a text dump
    of the database, it's possible you can use this:

    http://www.mmisoftware.co.uk/pages/icm.html

    If that doesn't do what you need, post a specific question on what you'd
    need custom code to translate. You can then just maintain the calendar
    in iCal, or keep it in a native database and do the translation every
    time there is an update.
    Doc Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Sean Bartholomew) wrote:

    Depending on the goal, there are other alternatives. If you are largely
    interested in programming _for_ OS X, Objective-C is probably a
    direction to be heading. Especially...

    ....because you want to use Cocoa.

    Start with "The C Programming Language."
    Gregory Guest