Professional Web Applications Themes

What size is my doent? [long rant] - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

This was going to be a 'How Do I...?' post, but after an hour or better messing around (and a million errors written to my system log later) I finally stumbled upon the answer. Now it's going to be a rant post :P Working in prepress I open an untold number of pdfs a day, and one of the very first things I check is the page size. A quick glance down at the bottom of the window lets me know the size of the page I am working with. Sometimes the size will change from page to page, and ...

  1. #1

    Default What size is my doent? [long rant]

    This was going to be a 'How Do I...?' post, but after an hour or better messing around (and a million errors written to my system log later) I finally stumbled upon the answer. Now it's going to be a rant post :P

    Working in prepress I open an untold number of pdfs a day, and one of the very first things I check is the page size. A quick glance down at the bottom of the window lets me know the size of the page I am working with. Sometimes the size will change from page to page, and I make note of it as I quickly key my way through the doent. After upgrading to version 7 of Acrobat, as part of the CS2 upgrade, I was somewhat surprised to find this little piece of information missing from the window.

    No big deal I thought, they wouldn't have gotten rid of that feature. It must be here somewhere, I mean there are roughly eight hundred other pieces of information on the default gui, page size seems like an important one that should be there. It must be a preference I missed. A quick scan through the menus turned up nothing. A slow search through the menus turned up nothing either. Check preferences, nope. Maybe checking the pop-up tool-tips on every stinking icon will give me a hint. Nothing. Well let me check the manual... hahaha. *sigh* Acrobat Help it is.

    <insert whole other rant on Acrobat Help here>

    Well, not knowing what exactly the feature I am looking for is called I start with 'page size', nope... doent size, no help. Maybe a scan through the index would help. Not seeing it there either. Hopefully there will be a Topic that is relevant. The workspace topics look promising. Nada. Off to the User Forums!

    Then it happens.. a random swish of the mouse across the page and WAIT.. I saw something! Scrub around with the mouse again and there, in the lower left corner, on the pasteboard, it pops up '17" x 11"'. Finally!

    Well shame on me.. that should have been totally obvious.. hover mouse in specific corner of pasteboard, duh. And way handier than just being able to see it where it used to be. Another benefit is now i can use my mouse a lot more too, rather than just keeping my hands on the keyboard! Too much sarcasm for one paragraph?

    Please just put the page size back on the window where it was before.
    </rant>
    wpcoprep@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What size is my doent? [long rant]

    Well theres always been the Doent Properties dialog, File > Doent Properties... or you could also look in the Crop dialog, Doent > Crop Pages...
    sws@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yes but the person sound like they have been working 48 hours straight to find something that was there in previous versions all along. And if they are in Printing industry they can't afford noodling around for a Feature that should have been left alone.

    Sounds like some of the Adobe folks that probably have never seen the inside of Printing facility, got smart and changed it and then forgot to Doent the change.

    For the person with the original Complaint. Copy your easy above word for word. Then go to adobe website and Feedback for Acrobat and paste into the feedback.

    Maybe if someone gets their ears blistered, they will say gulp ... dumb me, dumb me. Maybe it will make it back into Acrobat 10, 11, or 12.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I don't disagree with you at all. I've already complained about this to Adobe. IMHO this should've been left alone. I was simply trying to help anyone else who might be reading this know where else they can go to find doent page size info.
    sws@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Pleas don't take to comment above as criticizing your comments. Only adding to then and suggesting the person send a feed back request to get it back.

    Though I figure it would at least version 10 before they fix it. :-(
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Though I figure it would at least version 10 before they fix it.

    That's very optimistic.

    :)
    graffiti Guest

  7. #7

    You know whats odd, I'm looking at a PDF of the Vanity Fair article concerning Deep Throat in my browser, and that page size info is showing up just to the left of the horizontal scrollbar. This is using Acrobat 7.0 in Safari. I saw this and then navigated to a PDF on my desktop and opened it, but the page size info is not there. It turns out that if you zoom in until the width of the PDF is larger than the application (so it displays the horizontal scroll bar) then it will display the page size info as expected.

    Hmmmm...
    sws@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    You know whats odd, I'm looking at a PDF of the Vanity Fair article concerning Deep Throat in my browser,

    <http://www.vanityfair.com/pdf/pressroom/advance1.pdf>

    and that page size info is showing up just to the left of the horizontal scrollbar. This is using Acrobat 7.0 in Safari. I saw this and then navigated to a PDF on my desktop and opened it, but the page size info is not there. It turns out that if you zoom in until the width of the PDF is larger than the application (so it displays the horizontal scroll bar) then it will display the page size info as expected. In both the browser and the Acrobat Viewer

    Hmmmm...
    sws@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Come on everyone - it's a great opportunity for training ;-)

    Jon
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    To always view the size of your doent, right-click the doent and choose 'page display preferences'. There are many check boxes that allow you to set defaults. Under 'page content and information' there is a check box that says 'Always show doent page says'. I searched for hours this weekend and found nothing. Tonight, I found it by accident about 30 seconds after I opened a doent. Serendipity-doo-dah.
    Unregistered Guest