Professional Web Applications Themes

what software can yze wifi traffic? good signal but badnetwork access in some places... - Mac Networking

Hi all - Is there any software (hopefully for Mac but PC will do also) which would yze what's going on with my wifi signal? I have spots in the house where the signal is good (3/5 levels) but my connection to the network there is aweful. I wonder if these are places where there is another wifi network nearby (neighbors, etc.), or some other kind of interference, or maybe good incoming signal from the router but inability of my wireless card to reach back to the access point? It would be great to have a tool to see what ...

  1. #1

    Default what software can yze wifi traffic? good signal but badnetwork access in some places...

    Hi all -

    Is there any software (hopefully for Mac but PC will do also) which
    would yze what's going on with my wifi signal? I have spots in the house
    where the signal is good (3/5 levels) but my connection to the network there
    is aweful. I wonder if these are places where there is another wifi network
    nearby (neighbors, etc.), or some other kind of interference, or maybe good
    incoming signal from the router but inability of my wireless card to reach
    back to the access point? It would be great to have a tool to see what % of
    the packets going back and forth arrive, are re-transmitted, etc. and what's
    going on over the other adjacent channels. Anything like this exists?

    Mike

    Mike Levin Guest

  2. #2

    I just bought a couple Orinoco Gold cards for $58.00 each. How is that
    expensive compared to other cheap cards?

    Jeremy

    <davehinzspamcop.net> wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.mac.comm Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    > > Hi all -
    >
    > > It would be great to have a tool to see what % of
    > > the packets going back and forth arrive, are re-transmitted, etc. and
    what's
    > > going on over the other adjacent channels. Anything like this exists?
    >
    > I'm not an authority on wifi by any means, so I'll defer to somoene who
    > is. But, in the meantime - I have a laptop which runs windows
    (sometimes),
    > and in it I'm using an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card for a 802.11b network.
    > The tools that came with the Orinoco (Lucent) card include one that does
    > a site survey; it'll sweep through all the channels, and tell you what
    > is out there on each of them. It'll also yze a given link that you
    > are using, and will tell you your packet statistics as well as
    Signal:noise
    > ratio, data rates, and all the stuff that you'd find useful.
    >
    > I used it to measure a wi-fi signal from my house to my neighbors, to test
    > the feasability of sharing an internet connection. Kind of pricy to buy
    > an orinoco card just to get that ability, but maybe you know someone
    > with one, or maybe someone else here can suggest a similar tool for
    > whatever hardware it is you have.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Dave Hinz

    Jeremy Parr Guest

  3. #3

    In comp.sys.mac.comm Jeremy Parr <jspamnetbahamas.com> wrote:
    > I just bought a couple Orinoco Gold cards for $58.00 each. How is that
    > expensive compared to other cheap cards?
    (by top-posting, you make it inconvenient to include context for your
    question).

    I didn't say the Orinoco card was expensive, I said if this is the
    only reason you'd be buying a card and/or laptop, it's a pricy
    way to get a signal survey. I have an Orinoco Gold card, I like it,
    but if he only needs one signal survey and has no other use for it,
    there may be better options.

    Here's what I wrote, again, all out of order:
    >> Kind of pricy to buy
    >> an orinoco card just to get that ability, but maybe you know someone
    >> with one,
    (snip)

    Dave Hinz

    davehinz@spamcop.net Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:51:48 GMT, Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net>
    wrote:
    > Is there any software (hopefully for Mac but PC will do also) which
    >would yze what's going on with my wifi signal?
    Hello Mike. Some of the sniffer tools are able to measure and display
    the signal strength. You can browse the three sections below for both
    freeware and commercial tools/z.

    [url]http://www.wardrive.net/wardriving/tools[/url]
    [url]http://www.wardrive.net/security/tools[/url]
    [url]http://www.wardrive.net/general/tools[/url]