Professional Web Applications Themes

What to do about virus - Windows XP/2000/ME

Greetings -- W32.Bugbear Removal Tool [url]http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bugbear.bmm.removal.tool.html[/url] Bruce Chambers Help us help you: [url]http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm[/url] [url]http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/url] ---- You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -- RAH "Granpa" <thesheltonserols.com> wrote in message news:040701c3427f$bcb0a980$a301280aphx.gbl... > Although I have Nortons and it is up to date, a virus got > through in my e-mail. Nortons advised me that it was > detected and quarantined, however it obviously is still > infecting my computer. The name of the virus is > W32Bugbearmm. Can anyone advise me what I should do. As > you might suspect, I ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: What to do about virus

    ----
    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Granpa" <thesheltonserols.com> wrote in message
    > Although I have Nortons and it is up to date, a virus got
    > through in my e-mail. Nortons advised me that it was
    > detected and quarantined, however it obviously is still
    > infecting my computer. The name of the virus is
    > W32Bugbearmm. Can anyone advise me what I should do. As
    > you might suspect, I am using someone elses computer to
    > ask for help. I am not real familiar with computers and
    > don't know how to proceed. Thanks Granpa

    Bruce Chambers Guest

  2. #2

    If the virus is detected, and quarantined, that all occurs before any
    contamination has taken place. Did you go into the quarantine folder and
    click on the file to see what it is - maybe?

    I have had that particular virus sent to me numerous times. Norton caught it
    each and every time. Nothing ever happened to my computer. The fact that it
    even gets to my computer is a function of the antivirus capabilities of my
    ISP service provide. Some scan - some don't! Some are more thorough than
    others.

    Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\) Guest

  3. #3

    Granpa,

    I have already posted a link to the appropriate Symantec site. You need to
    scroll the page to find the removal link.

    However, to simplify things the following link will take you directly to the
    removal tool site;

    [url]http://tinyurl.com/1qoo[/url]

    --
    Sir_George
    For better access to newsgroups;

    > I don't really understand what happened. Nortons caught
    > it and I came here for advice and was told to delete the
    > infected file which I did. Then later the computer went
    > crazy and I figure it must be the same thing. I guess my
    > question now is, how do I get the removal tool on my
    > computer since it won't let me do anything with it at this
    > point. Thanks everyone Granpa

    Sir_George Guest

  4. #4

    I am probably driving you crazy but I don't know how to
    download the removal tool to my computer because the virus
    has made my computer pretty much inoperable. I can't get
    online or open any of my desktop icons. I'm using a
    friends computer to ask these questions. I'm a rookie at
    this this and maybe there is a basic piece of knowledge
    that I don't have that is keeping me from understanding
    how to do it. I have printed out all the instructions
    from the symantec page that you kind folks have directed
    me to, I just am not sure how to proceed from there. Is
    there a trick to getting on line to download the removal
    tool? Sorry for the questions. Granpa

    Granpa Guest