Professional Web Applications Themes

What typically causes system panics in 5.0.4? - SCO

I have a client running OpenServer 5.0.4 Enterprise on a PII-400 system with 512MB RAM, a PM2144UW caching SCSI host adapter, and 2 mirrored 8GB SCSI drives. This system has run reliably for 3-4 years, until it received a panic and shutdown about 8 weeks ago. It has now become almost a daily occurrence (panic and sometimes double panic). All cooling fans are operational and all cards properly seated. I am assuming the problem is a hardware problem that may lie somewhere in the CPU/RAM/mainboard (which are old and need to be replaced anyway), but I wanted to see what ...

  1. #1

    Default What typically causes system panics in 5.0.4?

    I have a client running OpenServer 5.0.4 Enterprise on a PII-400 system with
    512MB RAM, a PM2144UW caching SCSI host adapter, and 2 mirrored 8GB SCSI
    drives. This system has run reliably for 3-4 years, until it received a
    panic and shutdown about 8 weeks ago. It has now become almost a daily
    occurrence (panic and sometimes double panic). All cooling fans are
    operational and all cards properly seated. I am assuming the problem is a
    hardware problem that may lie somewhere in the CPU/RAM/mainboard (which are
    old and need to be replaced anyway), but I wanted to see what the pros out
    there can tell me about this issue.
    Thanks!

    Michael Sweeden Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What typically causes system panics in 5.0.4?

    Michael Sweeden typed (on Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 10:47:26AM -0400):
    | I have a client running OpenServer 5.0.4 Enterprise on a PII-400 system with
    | 512MB RAM, a PM2144UW caching SCSI host adapter, and 2 mirrored 8GB SCSI
    | drives. This system has run reliably for 3-4 years, until it received a
    | panic and shutdown about 8 weeks ago. It has now become almost a daily
    | occurrence (panic and sometimes double panic). All cooling fans are
    | operational and all cards properly seated. I am assuming the problem is a
    | hardware problem that may lie somewhere in the CPU/RAM/mainboard (which are
    | old and need to be replaced anyway), but I wanted to see what the pros out
    | there can tell me about this issue.

    The pros (and also the amateurs) on this list will begin by wondering
    why you are unable to cite the error message rendered by the panic.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  3. #3

    > What I would TYPICALLY suspect from the limited information you gave
    > is that you are getting a Panic Trap "E". See
    > [url]http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/trape.html[/url]
    > [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec1.html#trap8[/url]
    Thanks Tony - this helps alot.
    > But since you say ram etc. "needs to be replaced anyway", why haven't you
    > just done that?
    Actually, what I said is the motherboard/CPU/RAM is old and needs to be
    replaced anyway (because it is obsolete and like replacements are no longer
    available in the event of a failure, plus a 400MHz PII for 30 users is quite
    slow by today's standards). This being the case, the customer wouldn't be
    particularly satisfied if this upgrade was performed and did not resolve the
    problem. After reading your references, it looks like the problem likely
    would be solved by the upgrade, so that's how we'll proceed.
    Thanks much for your help,
    Michael

    Michael Sweeden Guest

  4. #4

    Michael Sweeden <michaelsweedencomcast.net> wrote:
    >> What I would TYPICALLY suspect from the limited information you gave
    >> is that you are getting a Panic Trap "E". See
    >> [url]http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/trape.html[/url]
    >> [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec1.html#trap8[/url]
    >Thanks Tony - this helps alot.
    >> But since you say ram etc. "needs to be replaced anyway", why haven't you
    >> just done that?
    >Actually, what I said is the motherboard/CPU/RAM is old and needs to be
    >replaced anyway (because it is obsolete and like replacements are no longer
    >available in the event of a failure, plus a 400MHz PII for 30 users is quite
    >slow by today's standards). This being the case, the customer wouldn't be
    >particularly satisfied if this upgrade was performed and did not resolve the
    >problem. After reading your references, it looks like the problem likely
    >would be solved by the upgrade, so that's how we'll proceed.
    Umm, I wouldn't say "likely would be solved by the upgrade" without knowing
    what the actual panic was. I'd say there's a chance, but if you read that
    reference carefully, your problems could be elsewhere.

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Inexpensive phone/email support

    tony@aplawrence.com Guest