Professional Web Applications Themes

What used digital SLR to buy - Photography

Digital SLRs have been too expensive for me to pay much attention to who makes what model with which features, etc. They still are. But I see some less current models on Ebay that look like they might be approaching my price range. So what do I buy? About me: I'm reasonably knowledgeable about photography, at least the ancient variety that involves film. I've got a couple of Canon AE-1 bodies and six lenses ranging from 17 to 200mm. I know that I won't be able to use the lenses effectively with any digital I get. (I've heard of the ...

  1. #1

    Default What used digital SLR to buy

    Digital SLRs have been too expensive for me to pay much attention to
    who makes what model with which features, etc. They still are.

    But I see some less current models on Ebay that look like they might
    be approaching my price range. So what do I buy?

    About me:

    I'm reasonably knowledgeable about photography, at least the ancient
    variety that involves film. I've got a couple of Canon AE-1 bodies
    and six lenses ranging from 17 to 200mm. I know that I won't be able
    to use the lenses effectively with any digital I get. (I've heard of
    the FD-EOS adapter, but it seems VERY clumsy)

    I will want to be able to change lenses. I like wide to very wide
    lenses and that doesn't come standard. A zoom to cover normal to
    modest tele would be nice.

    I want the option to control as much as possible manually. There may
    be some whiz-bang modes I can scarcely imagine, but I like to be able
    to make my own adjustments.

    I will probably infrequently make large prints. I'm guessing that
    means I can get away with less than the latest, greatest resolution.

    I like shooting at night. I don't mind having to steady the camera. I
    don't like flash very much. But, looking toward the future, I'd like
    to be able to control off-camera flash.

    It would be nice if the batteries would last a while.

    It would also be nice if the whole CAMERA would last a while, although
    I'm sure they will need more careful handling than my old Canons.

    I'd love to get something decent, maybe used, maybe just fallen out of
    favor due to newer, better models for say $500.00 or a little more.
    Possible?

    Greg Guarino
    Greg Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: What used digital SLR to buy

    > Digital SLRs have been too expensive for me to pay much attention to

    Digital Rebels seem to sell for relatively cheap, and if you wait 1-2
    months, they'll probably get a lot cheaper. (Search groups.google.com for
    "d350" or "rebel xt" to see why.)

    Whichever you go for, 17mm or 18mm is about as wide as the kit lenses
    will be, and with the crop factor, that comes out to about 28mm equivalent
    FOV. If you want shorter than that, then you start spending a lot of
    money - assuming you're not going to want to drop just 1mm to a 17mm, the
    next non-fisheye lens would be a Sigma 12-24 for $670, then the Canon EF-S
    10-22 for $800.

    I believe that all of the dSLRs will let you shoot in full manual mode,
    if you want.

    8x10s look pretty darn good with 6 megapixels. I've seen a couple of
    20"x30" prints that looked fairly respectable from 6 megapixels, although
    they were pictures without tons of detail to begin with. Trying to enlarge
    a high-detail print that high might disapoint.

    Any of them with lithium batteries.

    Brand new, silver DigiRebs are only $770 after Canon's rebate, so I
    wouldn't expect to pay more than $650 on ebay (although some people still
    do) - but again, after April 4th (or thereabouts) when the Digital Rebel XT
    is released, the "old" Digital Rebels should drop even more.

    steve

    Steve Guest

  3. #3

    On 1/28/05 9:23 PM, in article com,
    "Greg G" <net> wrote:

    Any of the big names in digital SLRs that have just been replaced with a
    newer model would probably fit your criteria. One good recommendation might
    be the Canon 10D (just replaced by the 20D). It has plenty of modes,
    including fully manual. Also, if you believe the rumors the dRebel is soon
    about to be replaced with a newer model.
    Chuck

    C Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:16:02 -0700, "Steve Wolfe" <com>
    wrote:

    > Whichever you go for, 17mm or 18mm is about as wide as the kit lenses
    >will be, and with the crop factor, that comes out to about 28mm equivalent
    >FOV. If you want shorter than that, then you start spending a lot of
    >money - assuming you're not going to want to drop just 1mm to a 17mm, the
    >next non-fisheye lens would be a Sigma 12-24 for $670, then the Canon EF-S
    >10-22 for $800.[/ref]

    That much I'm aware of. I wouldn't buy a really wide lens right off,
    but I want to have the ability to add that on in the future.

    Hmmm... Sounds interesting. Thanks.

    Greg Guarino

    Greg Guest

  5. #5

    > Also, if you believe the rumors the dRebel is soon

    http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=013803049626

    : )

    steve

    Steve Guest

  6. #6

    "Steve Wolfe" <com> wrote in message

    > http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=013803049626
    >
    > : )
    >
    > steve
    >[/ref]
    How about this one ;)

    http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=027075076662

    Darrell Guest

  7. #7

    "Steve Wolfe" <com> writes:

    However, you had better check the details, and possibly move fast. I believe
    Canon's rebate ends at the end of January (ie, in 2 days). Note, the digital
    rebel has many/some of the manual features that the 10D had removed, but there
    is a russian hack that gives you back most of the features at a cost of voiding
    the warranty.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: org

  8. #8

    Greg G <net> wrote in

    What do you mean by "large"?

    Why do you think you need an SLR, rather than one of the higher quality non
    -slr digital cameras?

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
    bob Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:52:06 -0600, bob <com>
    wrote:

    >What do you mean by "large"?[/ref]
    I think I've got exactly 2 pictures in my house that are 8x10. Most of
    my pictures stay as 4x6; the better ones sometimes get to 5x7.

    1. I want to be able to change lenses. I am especially interested in
    wide-angle photography and I'm pretty sure that no camera's "built-in"
    lens goes as wide as I would like. I understand that it will be an
    expensive proposition to get such a wide lens, but I don't need to do
    it right away. I've got lenses for my film cameras that go from 17mm
    to 200mm. Even if someone were to make such a zoom, it wouldn't be
    likely to do the whole range well.

    2. I like to have control over the other parameters that SLRs
    typically provide. I like to be able to set the aperture to control
    depth of field and shutter speed to freeze action or deliberately blur
    it.

    3. I like to look through the actual lens that's taking the picture to
    help gauge the depth of field. I'm hoping that depth of field preview
    is something I might find on a digital. I suppose that could be
    covered by the display, but it wouldn't be nearly as detailed.

    4. I'd like to be able to focus manually, sometimes, particularly when
    I've got close foreground objects mixed with distant ones. Autofocus
    is nice for shooting pictures of (moving) people.

    In short, I like the flexibility and control that I'm used to with my
    film SLRs.

    Greg Guarino

    Greg Guest

  10. #10

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:07:30 GMT, Greg G <net> wrote:

    Many point-and-shoots let you set aperture and shutter speed
    manually. But with their small sensors, you're likely to have
    more DOF than you want in some situations. And DSLRs have usable
    high ISOs, which is nice for freezing action. (I'm addicted to
    available light, and, having recently switched from P&S to DSLR,
    I can't get over how easy it is to get shots that I would have
    missed in the past.)

    I can tell you for a fact that it's present on the 20D, at least.

    I dreamed recently that when I used DOF preview, the image in the
    viewfinder went black-and-white. Neat feature. I was psyched until
    about an hour after I woke up, when it occurred to me that that was
    completely impossible, and I realized I'd had a dream.

    My experience with the Olympus 8080 was that while it offered manual
    focus, the controls for that were awkward, and I couldn't tell when
    things were in focus -- possibly due to excessive DOF, possibly due
    to the relatively low resolution of the EVF (compared to an optical
    viewfinder).

    --
    Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
    --Josh Micah Marshall

  11. #11

    Greg G wrote:

    That all clearly points to a DSLR.

    They can all be operated in full manual mode. Some low end models make
    this less convenient though.

    You said elsewhere mostly 4x6 with a very occasional 8x10. 3MP is
    sufficient for good quality for your needs, and requires less storage
    space than larger sizes.

    Not sure what you mean, but most can do off camera TTL and/or Non TTL
    Automatic.

    I'm familiar with the Canon models, so can only speak to them for your
    needs. A D30 or D60 would fit all of your parameters, and you can
    likely get one for your specified budget. However, IMHO both of those
    models have poor AF, particularly in low light. A 10D would be a large
    improvement in this regard, but would stretch your budget.

    I would suggest to see if you can try a D30/60, and see if you are okay
    with the operational compromises. If so, you're all set.

    Lisa
    Lisa Guest

  12. #12

    Steve Wolfe wrote:

    > http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=013803049626[/ref]

    That's clever! A way to get a feel for what's coming ahead of time...!

    Alan Guest

  13. #13

    Darrell wrote:

    Yowza!!

    Alan Guest

  14. #14

    "bob" <com> wrote in message

    > What do you mean by "large"?
    >
    > Why do you think you need an SLR, rather than one of the higher quality[/ref]
    non
    The APS-C sensor is bigger and results in a better image than the 1/3"
    sensors in most point&shoots, or the 2/3" sensor in the high-end digicams.

    Darrell Guest

  15. #15

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message

    > Yowza!!
    >[/ref]
    Same Sony sensor as this?
    http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=043325995606

    Darrell Guest

  16. #16

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 03:23:14 GMT, Greg G <net>
    wrote:

    Canon's 300 seems to be the best choice in that regard.
    -Rich
    RichA Guest

  17. #17

    On Friday 28 January 2005 19:23, Greg G wrote:

    Yes!

    I think a used Canon D30 and a Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC lens will fit
    your budget as well as most of your requirements. D30s on eBay in Ex+
    condition are going for around $400 US, and you can get a new 18-50 for
    about $100 from most mail order photo dealers. That's quite a deal
    considering when the D30 debuted in mid-2000, that it went for almost
    $3000!

    The D30 is, in my opinion, the DSLR "sleeper" on eBay, mainly because of
    its 3MP rating. (Most buyers are going for 6MP models like the D60,
    10D, Nikon D100 or D70, and Fuji S1 or S2, etc.) However, don't let
    that throw you off. Its CMOS APS-C sized (about 15 x 22mm) sensor
    produces exceptionally sharp, noise free images, that you can easily
    upsample, when you need to produce prints bigger than 8x10. Actually,
    the image file produced "in camera" is really intended for post
    processing to a final image, anyway, rather than going straight to
    print out of the camera. I was impressed enough with it to buy one
    just last week, even though all my 35mm film equipment is Nikon.

    If, however, you're still wary of that 3MP sensor, then go with the D60.
    Same low noise CMOS type sensor, same sharp images, but 6MP with
    improved performance and features over the D30. But it'll cost you
    about $200 to $300 more.

    Read the reviews and specs for both at www.dpreview.com and
    www.steves-digicams.com

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

  18. #18

    Darrell wrote:

    I think I get it now. What a coincidence that that entry appears on 29 Jan...

    I've been had!

    Cheers,
    Alan
    Alan Guest

  19. #19

    > I think I get it now. What a coincidence that that entry appears on 29[/ref]
    Jan...
    Just to prove if it's on the Internet, doesn't make it true...

    Darrell Guest

  20. #20

    Which series of lens fit the D30?

    Thanks