Professional Web Applications Themes

When my computer crashes - Macromedia Dreamweaver

My computer crashed a few weeks ago. I was able to save the hard drive with my sites but I had to reinstall Dreamweaver on a new drive. I had to re-enter over 100 sites into dreamweaver, including ftp information etc. Is there any file that I can save or use if my computer should ever crash in the future that will have all of my preferences and websites saved. It took about a day to re-enter them all again. Let me know. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default When my computer crashes

    John JE webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: When my computer crashes

    I asked the same question back in the DW4 days, and never got an answer,
    just an excuse about security of ftp information. Lame.

    Hopefully they fixed this in dwmx? Otherwise we'll have to wait until xmas
    for DW7 and Flash 7.

    (hehe...?)

    "John JE" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > My computer crashed a few weeks ago. I was able to save the hard drive
    with my sites but I had to reinstall Dreamweaver on a new drive. I had to
    re-enter over 100 sites into dreamweaver, including ftp information etc. Is
    there any file that I can save or use if my computer should ever crash in
    the future that will have all of my preferences and websites saved. It took
    about a day to re-enter them all again. Let me know. Thanks

    MadWebber Guest

  3. #3

    DWMX has an export/import utility built into it. I'm still happy with UD so I can't tell you exactly where it is, but it's there.

    Corey has some good utilities for this at [url]http://navbars.net/nav/navbar_resources.htm[/url] for both MX and DW/UD v4

    --

    Dave
    If I were half as smart as people think I am...

  4. #4

    Export your site definitions by going to Site>Edit Site>Export

    Unfortunately you have to do each one at a time but it sure as heck beats
    entering all that info on each individual site!! :)

    BR

    "John JE" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > My computer crashed a few weeks ago. I was able to save the hard drive
    with my sites but I had to reinstall Dreamweaver on a new drive. I had to
    re-enter over 100 sites into dreamweaver, including ftp information etc. Is
    there any file that I can save or use if my computer should ever crash in
    the future that will have all of my preferences and websites saved. It took
    about a day to re-enter them all again. Let me know. Thanks

    Bill Ray Guest

  5. #5

    if you're using DW4 you need to back up the relevant files in windows
    registry - then use a program to re-import those specific registry files
    after your installation. At least i know this is what i have to do with Win
    98 - xp or other might be a totally different story.

    Be soooooo very careful doing this though, i managed to import the wrong
    file and messed up my entire registry and had to format the puter and start
    from scratch again ! not fun hehe

    If you re-import the right registry files however, it works just fine.

    which reminds me, time i made a backup again.

    > My computer crashed a few weeks ago. I was able to save the hard drive
    with my sites but I had to reinstall Dreamweaver on a new drive. I had to
    re-enter over 100 sites into dreamweaver, including ftp information etc. Is
    there any file that I can save or use if my computer should ever crash in
    the future that will have all of my preferences and websites saved. It took
    about a day to re-enter them all again. Let me know. Thanks

    Tal Guest

  6. #6

    I export all my site definitions to a folder on a CD. Later IMPORT them when
    needed.
    Eleanor
    "MadWebber" <geoffilovespam.com> wrote in message
    > I asked the same question back in the DW4 days, and never got an answer,
    > just an excuse about security of ftp information. Lame.
    >
    > Hopefully they fixed this in dwmx? Otherwise we'll have to wait until xmas
    > for DW7 and Flash 7.
    >
    > (hehe...?)
    >
    > "John JE" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer crashed a few weeks ago. I was able to save the hard drive
    > with my sites but I had to reinstall Dreamweaver on a new drive. I had to
    > re-enter over 100 sites into dreamweaver, including ftp information etc.
    Is
    > there any file that I can save or use if my computer should ever crash in
    > the future that will have all of my preferences and websites saved. It
    took
    > about a day to re-enter them all again. Let me know. Thanks

    E. T. Culling Guest