Professional Web Applications Themes

When opening certian files photoshops dissapears. - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

..I've searched this forum and I've found some similar thinigs but not exactally the same as the problem I'm having. Basically, certian files Ive saved through Photoshop, and through trial and error, I believe its only when I save through "save for web",But I can't swear to this, but basically when I go to the open dialouge or file broweser and I navigate to one of these folders Photoshop closes down without any message or it'll give me one of those Windows error send reports. Now, the other thing is that when I navigate to these same pictures saved through ...

  1. #1

    Default When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    ..I've searched this forum and I've found some similar thinigs but not exactally the same as the problem I'm having.

    Basically, certian files Ive saved through Photoshop, and through trial and error, I believe its only when I save through "save for web",But I can't swear to this, but basically when I go to the open dialouge or file broweser and I navigate to one of these folders Photoshop closes down without any message or it'll give me one of those Windows error send reports.

    Now, the other thing is that when I navigate to these same pictures saved through photoshop with Windows Explorer, Explorer shuts down.

    Anyone have a remedy for this?

    Thanks,
    Marshall
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Did you try reinstalling PS? That might not be the problem, it might be your OS or video card or something. What kind of files are you talking about?

    zippy2000@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Double post was an accident.

    Anyway, jpegs are the files that Im noticing this happeneing with. And yes I just reinstalled everything.

    But Ill update my video drivers. And Im running XP Pro
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    But Ill update my video drivers

    thats a good idea ;)
    zippy2000@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Marshall,

    Well, I would have said to try resetting your preferences per the procedure in the faq, but since it happens in Windows Explorer, it's most certainly an OS issue.

    What OS, and what version of Photoshop are you using? Are the files you are trying to access on removable media or across a network? External HD?

    Is the issue repeatable in any way? Is this a new issue or has it happened since day one. If the former, what's changed on your system - add a USB/Firewire drive? Add any internal HD's?

    The more information you give, the better your help will be.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    zippy2000 "When opening certian files photoshops dissapears." 10/8/03 12:47pm </cgi-bin/webx?13.2ccdcd38/2>

    sorry i double posted, ili reply to you here
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    OK I updated my drivers... to no avail.

    to respond to tony:

    I reset the preferences... no difference

    im running a pentium 4 2.4 Ghz Windows XP Pro machine, the files are on an internal harddrive. i have PS7 with the 7.0.1 update

    I can't say that it was from day one because as I said I think its only from the "save for web" dialouge, and I was doing very little web work when I first got PS7

    so any thoughts from that info?
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Well, as it sits, it's WAY too tough to troubleshoot. IMO, the best way to TS this is to see if you can MAKE it happen. Determine if it's file specific or folder specific.

    Make sure and run scandisk on your drive.

    I'd bet money it's not a Photoshop issue if it happens when navigating with Windows Explorer.

    Also, for giggles and grins, go to the Knowledgebase and do a search on preferences files. There's an article that tells the locations of the Image Ready preferences. I'd try that too, but I'm still leaning toward the OS/File/Folder as being an issue.

    Also, clean out your temp directories.

  15. #15

    Ok, I can MAKE it happen its seems to be file type specific.

    now when you say that youre leaning toward the OS/File/Folder as being the issue... how would i go about finding out if that is it and if it is then fixing it...

    think ive just decided to switch to mac ;)
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Okay... progress. Good. Tell us what makes you think it's file type specific.

    First thing clean out temp files from your temp folder, then run scandisk.

    Next, what file types cause the problem? JPG's only? You can save JPG's from PS or Image Ready. Does the problem occur regardless of which program saved a file? Create a brand new jpg in PS, and a new one in IR. Then try to get them - any problems?

    What happens if you move those files to a different folder?
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Well, I guess its not going to do it.

    But the reason I think its file type specific is becasue I have multiple folders all with differnt kinds of files in them.

    And from what I can tell only folders with jpgs and gifs shut the program you are viewing them in down. Now thats not to say its all jogs, and all gifs. These ones you just asked me to create are working fine.

    Ive run scandisk and cleared my temp.

    And you asked what happened if I moved these files to a differnt folder. well the problem is if I open the folder to move them its shuts down.
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com Guest