Professional Web Applications Themes

When will Panther be available? - Mac Applications & Software

Does anyone know when the new Mac OS will be available? All I can find in the media is "later this year." I have decided to pitch my PC and switch to a Mac (I don't know what took me so long), but I want to get the new OS....

  1. #1

    Default When will Panther be available?

    Does anyone know when the new Mac OS will be available?

    All I can find in the media is "later this year." I have decided to pitch
    my PC and switch to a Mac (I don't know what took me so long), but I want to
    get the new OS.

    lvc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: When will Panther be available?

    "lvc" <net> wrote in message

    As the man said, later this year...

    huchal Guest

  3. #3

    In article <HrF9b.14610$srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
    "lvc" <net> wrote:

    Yes, drop Steve a line. I'm sure he'd love to 'share.'

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  4. #4

    lvc wrote:

    It won't come with OS 9, so if you want to use Classic,
    that will cost extra.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    "Grant me the serenity to accept those I cannot change;

    Wes Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > It won't come with OS 9, so if you want to use Classic,
    > that will cost extra.[/ref]
    But classic will be installed on the OP's new machine.
    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>,
    Wes Groleau <org> wrote:

    WHAT AN !

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  7. #7

    Wes Groleau <org> wrote: [/ref]

    Where did you get this information?

    As to the original question. Apple has not publicly set a release
    date for Panther yet. Any date you here is most likely speculative
    unless it comes from someone at Apple.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  8. #8

    lvc wrote:

    Don't act in haste. The switch from XP will be difficult.
    The only consolation is that 10.3 is somewhat better than XP,
    at least security-wise. It's also more like OS 9, in case you
    ever ran that old OS.
    George Guest

  9. #9

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > Don't act in haste. The switch from XP will be difficult.
    > The only consolation is that 10.3 is somewhat better than XP,
    > at least security-wise. It's also more like OS 9, in case you
    > ever ran that old OS.[/ref]

    Maybe he's running W-98!

    Regardless, why do you think a switch from XP will be difficult? Facts
    and data please. BTW, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I am genuinely
    curious.

    Ken P.

    --
    Remove _me_ for e-mail address
    Ken Guest

  10. #10

    Wes Groleau wrote:

    > It won't come with OS 9, so if you want to use Classic,
    > that will cost extra.
    >[/ref]
    I think the OP means "newest OS X" when he/she says "new OS". That is,
    not OS 9 vs. OS X but OS X 10.2 vs. OS X 10.3.

    That's what I got out of the posting, anyway.

    clvrmnky Guest

  11. #11

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    How do you figure it's more like OS 9? (meaning 10.3 is more like OS 9
    than 10.2?) I'm curious as to what you're referring to by that.

    --
    -=Elden=-
    http://www.moondog.org

  12. #12

    Elden Fenison wrote:

    10.3 is more like 9 than 10.2 was like 9.

    Here are two reasons: drag-n-drop desktop printer,
    left-hand menu like Apple menu. I think people
    will like panther better than Jagwire. Sure, it
    will have some useless crap (brushed metal deadspace)
    but then 10 software engineers worked 3 months on
    that at $85/hour plus overhead costs, so at least
    somebody's happy about it.
    George Guest

  13. #13

    Frederick Cheung wrote:

    > But classic will be installed on the OP's new machine.[/ref]

    Will it? Doesn't matter--without OS 9,
    Classic does nothing.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    -----------

    Wes Guest

  14. #14

    In article <com>,
    Wes Groleau <org> wrote:

    > > But classic will be installed on the OP's new machine.[/ref]
    >
    > Will it? Doesn't matter--without OS 9,
    > Classic does nothing.[/ref]

    WHAT A !

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  15. #15

    Wes Groleau <org> writes:

    > > But classic will be installed on the OP's new machine.[/ref]
    >
    > Will it? Doesn't matter--without OS 9,
    > Classic does nothing.
    >[/ref]
    Presumably the OS9 files will be there so Classic can run. The new
    machines can't *boot* into OS 9, but "Classic Environment" is listed
    as a software feature of the current machines. Without OS 9, there is
    no classic environment.
    --
    Dale J. Stephenson
    com

  16. #16

    George Williams <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    The question the OP asked was about moving to a Mac
    now. Panther does not exist yet for normal users so
    any features it has are somewhat speculative and
    a non-issue at this point in time since no Macs ship
    with 10.3 now.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  17. #17

    Dale J. Stephenson wrote:

    Well, that would be good. I hope so.

    Numerous comments here had given me the impression
    that the buyer would have to install OS9 from an older
    CD.

    (Guess I'm the fool for believing anything on Usenet!)

    --
    Wes Groleau
    http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau/Wes

    Wes Guest

  18. #18

    In article <com>,
    Wes Groleau <org> wrote:

    > Well, that would be good. I hope so.
    >
    > Numerous comments here had given me the impression that the buyer
    > would have to install OS9 from an older CD.[/ref]

    For earlier models of the Mac that came with Jaguar, that was true, but
    only if you wanted to boot into OS 9.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest