accounts) at the same privilege level as you. If things get better, yes, I would strong suspect a corrupt preference file. If not, maybe something more serious is wrong. I recently had a problem with file associations, in particular, what icon was associated with what file. The Finder would crash when it attempted to display certain file types. I'm pretty sure this was a corruption in a preference file somewhere, but it wasn't practical to locate it specifically. I finally spent the hour or so to re-invent myself as a new user -- not fun, to be sure, but a pragmatic solution. There's one other area to look at: search out a .HTML file on your disk drive somewhere -- there should be plenty lying around, for documentation purposes, etc. Make a copy of it, and see if the weirdness you've described occurs when you try to open it. Now look at the "File-->Get Info-->Open With" information for this file. It's hard to say what to do now. You can change the setting for just this one file, for for all documents "like this" one. The latter sounds a bit daunting! Recently I had an app that uses a browser for its help files. I recently changed from IE to Safari, and I was frustrated by seeing it bring up IE as usual -- nothing I could do about it in preferences that I could find. Ultimately, I hit the "change all" button and haven't had a problem since. I think "like this" is done a bit more selectively than what might first appear. Good luck! Henry [email]henryn@zzzspacebbs.com[/email] [quote] > Jeanne[/quote] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Henry [ip] => henryn@zzzspace [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 3 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) -->Get Info-->Open >> With" information for this file. It's hard to say what to do now. You can >> change the setting for just this one file, for for all documents "like this" >> one. The latter sounds a bit daunting! >>[/quote] > > See, here's some more weird behavior. I tried doing this for Retrospect > Express, but no matter WHAT I set the "Open With" info to, when I try to > open the help file, it tries to bring up > Lord-only-knows-what-except-that-it's-something-in-Classic and then > says: > > The application (null) has unexpectedly quit.[/quote] What this means is that some software process threw up its hands and gave up trying to continue doing its work because it encountered something unfixable. The "(null)" means that the process never left its calling card. Most applications you and I use wouldn't be so impolite, so I expect the failing software is something that operates behind the scenes. [quote][quote][quote] >>> OTUtilityLib<<(-2880)[/quote][/quote] > > So what the &*%# does THAT mean, and how am I ever going to look at > Retrospect's help again???[/quote] "OT" generally means "Open Transport" --in simple terms, the behind-the-scenes details of how you communicate with other computers-- is broken somehow. That's an OS9 thingie, if I'm not mistaken. I don't have a clue why this would happen. Obviously your email/newsgroup connection is still working. Can you access the Internet via Safari without incident?[quote] > > > Jeanne, wondering if I should give up and do a clean install of Jaguar...[/quote] Others may differ with me, but I wouldn't go that far, not without exhausting other alternatives. This is a very stable operating system. (Note: that's not a troll, just my observation!) In rare cases of problems, I've generally found that very alarming symptoms can often be explained by rather strictly circumscribed issues. I've never re-loaded the OS as a trouble-shooting measure. Oh, you didn't say: which version of the system do you have installed now? In the old days of 10.1, OS X seemed to scramble preference files indiscriminately, but I haven't seen anything like this is some time. Did you try creating a new user and logging in as that user? If the problems go away, you'll have a lots more confidence in your system. This isn't very difficult to do. This may be as simple as a file association problem similar to the one I had. I've got a brief set of notes collected from the net about which preference files to delete to maybe fix these. If you want, I'll post the notes and discuss how to apply them -- but, well, sorry, you're on your own if something goes worse wrong. Thanks, Henry [email]henryn@zzzspacebbs.com[/email] remove 'zzz' antispam [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Henry [ip] => henryn@zzzspace [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 5 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Where are preference files? - Mac Applications & Software

Where are preference files? - Mac Applications & Software

I think I have a corrupted Internet preference file: in the preference pane, I have Safari selected as my default browser, but other applications (such as MT-Newswatcher) have suddenly started behaving badly when I click on an URL: a) yesterday when I cliked on an URL, Classic started up (!), and then I got an error message about the application <null> not being able to run. b) after I tried selecting something else and then re-selecting Safari in the Internet preference pane, it started booting up IE (yuck!) instead of Safari when I click on an URL. Does this sound ...

  1. #1

    Default Where are preference files?

    I think I have a corrupted Internet preference file: in the preference
    pane, I have Safari selected as my default browser, but other
    applications (such as MT-Newswatcher) have suddenly started behaving
    badly when I click on an URL:

    a) yesterday when I cliked on an URL, Classic started up (!), and then I
    got an error message about the application <null> not being able to run.

    b) after I tried selecting something else and then re-selecting Safari
    in the Internet preference pane, it started booting up IE (yuck!)
    instead of Safari when I click on an URL.

    Does this sound like a corrupted preference file, or something else?
    (Safari works just fine, BTW.) If it's a bad preference file, could
    someone let me know where is that file located so I can trash it?
    Thanks much!

    Jeanne
    Jeanne Clelland Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Where are preference files?

    In article
    <Jeanne.Clelland-8D03DC.12572421072003peabody.colorado.edu>,
    Jeanne Clelland <Jeanne.ClellandNOSPAM.colorado.edu> wrote:
    > could
    > someone let me know where is that file located so I can trash it?
    Preferences are generally found in /Library/Application Support.

    --
    Larry Fransson
    Aviation software for Mac OS X!

  3. #3

    Jeanne Clelland:

    Thanks for your post:

    in article [email]Jeanne.Clelland-8D03DC.12572421072003peabody.colorado.edu[/email],
    Jeanne Clelland at [email]Jeanne.ClellandNOSPAM.colorado.edu[/email] wrote on 7/21/03
    11:57 AM:
    > I think I have a corrupted Internet preference file: in the preference
    > pane, I have Safari selected as my default browser, but other
    > applications (such as MT-Newswatcher) have suddenly started behaving
    > badly when I click on an URL:
    >
    > a) yesterday when I cliked on an URL, Classic started up (!), and then I
    > got an error message about the application <null> not being able to run.
    >
    > b) after I tried selecting something else and then re-selecting Safari
    > in the Internet preference pane, it started booting up IE (yuck!)
    > instead of Safari when I click on an URL.
    >

    > Does this sound like a corrupted preference file, or something else?
    > (Safari works just fine, BTW.) If it's a bad preference file, could
    > someone let me know where is that file located so I can trash it?
    > Thanks much!
    Maybe try setting your preference back to IE, try operating with that for a
    bit, then try returning to Safari

    You might want to try this: invent a new user (using system
    preferences-->accounts) at the same privilege level as you. If things get
    better, yes, I would strong suspect a corrupt preference file. If not,
    maybe something more serious is wrong.

    I recently had a problem with file associations, in particular, what icon
    was associated with what file. The Finder would crash when it attempted to
    display certain file types. I'm pretty sure this was a corruption in a
    preference file somewhere, but it wasn't practical to locate it
    specifically. I finally spent the hour or so to re-invent myself as a new
    user -- not fun, to be sure, but a pragmatic solution.

    There's one other area to look at: search out a .HTML file on your disk
    drive somewhere -- there should be plenty lying around, for doentation
    purposes, etc. Make a copy of it, and see if the weirdness you've described
    occurs when you try to open it. Now look at the "File-->Get Info-->Open
    With" information for this file. It's hard to say what to do now. You can
    change the setting for just this one file, for for all doents "like this"
    one. The latter sounds a bit daunting!

    Recently I had an app that uses a browser for its help files. I recently
    changed from IE to Safari, and I was frustrated by seeing it bring up IE as
    usual -- nothing I could do about it in preferences that I could find.
    Ultimately, I hit the "change all" button and haven't had a problem since.
    I think "like this" is done a bit more selectively than what might first
    appear.

    Good luck!

    Henry

    [email]henrynzzzspacebbs.com[/email]

    > Jeanne
    Henry Guest

  4. #4

    In article <newsgroups-940156.13065121072003netnews.attbi.com>,
    Larry Fransson <newsgroupslarryandjenny.net> wrote:
    > In article
    > <Jeanne.Clelland-8D03DC.12572421072003peabody.colorado.edu>,
    > Jeanne Clelland <Jeanne.ClellandNOSPAM.colorado.edu> wrote:
    >
    > > could
    > > someone let me know where is that file located so I can trash it?
    >
    > Preferences are generally found in /Library/Application Support.
    Preferences are actually found in /Library/Preferences/

    Application Support is meant for things like plugins and the likes.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  5. #5

    Jeanne Clelland:

    Thanks for your response:

    in article [email]Jeanne.Clelland-C44B42.14592221072003peabody.colorado.edu[/email],
    Jeanne Clelland at [email]Jeanne.ClellandNOSPAM.colorado.edu[/email] wrote on 7/21/03 1:59
    PM:
    > In article <BB4195D7.DC3E%henrynzzzspacebbs.com>,
    > Henry <henrynzzzspacebbs.com> wrote:
    >
    >> There's one other area to look at: search out a .HTML file on your disk
    >> drive somewhere -- there should be plenty lying around, for doentation
    >> purposes, etc. Make a copy of it, and see if the weirdness you've described
    >> occurs when you try to open it. Now look at the "File-->Get Info-->Open
    >> With" information for this file. It's hard to say what to do now. You can
    >> change the setting for just this one file, for for all doents "like this"
    >> one. The latter sounds a bit daunting!
    >>

    > See, here's some more weird behavior. I tried doing this for Retrospect
    > Express, but no matter WHAT I set the "Open With" info to, when I try to
    > open the help file, it tries to bring up
    > Lord-only-knows-what-except-that-it's-something-in-Classic and then
    > says:
    >
    > The application (null) has unexpectedly quit.
    What this means is that some software process threw up its hands and gave up
    trying to continue doing its work because it encountered something
    unfixable. The "(null)" means that the process never left its calling card.
    Most applications you and I use wouldn't be so impolite, so I expect the
    failing software is something that operates behind the scenes.
    >>> OTUtilityLib<<(-2880)
    >
    > So what the &*%# does THAT mean, and how am I ever going to look at
    > Retrospect's help again???
    "OT" generally means "Open Transport" --in simple terms, the
    behind-the-scenes details of how you communicate with other computers-- is
    broken somehow. That's an OS9 thingie, if I'm not mistaken. I don't have a
    clue why this would happen.

    Obviously your email/newsgroup connection is still working. Can you access
    the Internet via Safari without incident?

    > Jeanne, wondering if I should give up and do a clean install of Jaguar...

    Others may differ with me, but I wouldn't go that far, not without
    exhausting other alternatives. This is a very stable operating system.
    (Note: that's not a troll, just my observation!) In rare cases of
    problems, I've generally found that very alarming symptoms can often be
    explained by rather strictly cirscribed issues. I've never re-loaded

  6. #6

    In article <BB41B126.DC56%henrynzzzspacebbs.com>,
    Henry <henrynzzzspacebbs.com> wrote:
    > "OT" generally means "Open Transport" --in simple terms, the
    > behind-the-scenes details of how you communicate with other computers-- is
    > broken somehow. That's an OS9 thingie, if I'm not mistaken. I don't have a
    > clue why this would happen.

    Yeah, I have no clue either, and if I don't already have Classic
    running, it starts it up before I get this message. What on earth could
    it be trying to do that requires OS 9?
    > Obviously your email/newsgroup connection is still working. Can you access
    > the Internet via Safari without incident?

    Yup. And it gets weirder: after switching things around in the Internet
    preference pane for awhile, I logged out and logged back in, and now
    clicking on URLs in MT-Newswatcher starts up Safari as expected. (Which
    actually makes me feel better about my system.) But trying to launch
    Retrospect Express'shelp still gives me this Classic startup/null
    application weirdness. I suppose I can live without Retrospect's help
    if that's the only thing that's broken - I still have the pdf file for
    the manual, after all - but it just seems WEIRD!

    > Oh, you didn't say: which version of the system do you have installed now?
    > In the old days of 10.1, OS X seemed to scramble preference files
    > indiscriminately, but I haven't seen anything like this is some time.

    Currently 10.2.6, upgraded from 10.1.5 about a week ago.

    > Did you try creating a new user and logging in as that user? If the
    > problems go away, you'll have a lots more confidence in your system. This
    > isn't very difficult to do.
    I didn't try this yet; maybe I'll try that tomorrow and see if it fixes
    the Retrospect problem.

    > This may be as simple as a file association problem similar to the one I
    > had. I've got a brief set of notes collected from the net about which
    > preference files to delete to maybe fix these. If you want, I'll post the
    > notes and discuss how to apply them -- but, well, sorry, you're on your own
    > if something goes worse wrong.

    I appreciate the offer, but if Retrospect help continues to be the only
    thing that's broken, I probably don't want to risk mucking around with
    my system too much to try to fix it.

    Thanks for your help!

    Jeanne
    Jeanne Clelland Guest

  7. #7

    In article <newsgroups-2EEB65.15363721072003netnews.attbi.com>,
    Larry Fransson <newsgroupslarryandjenny.net> wrote:
    > In article <mr-087820.22161221072003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    > Sandman <mrsandman.net> wrote:
    >
    > > > Preferences are generally found in /Library/Application Support.
    > >
    > > Preferences are actually found in /Library/Preferences/
    > >
    > > Application Support is meant for things like plugins and the likes.
    >
    > Duh. Never try to post an intelligent answer after working all night on
    > no sleep!
    I'll remember that. :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  8. #8

    Jeanne Clelland:

    Thanks for your response to my post:

    in article [email]Jeanne.Clelland-9CF257.17251721072003peabody.colorado.edu[/email],
    Jeanne Clelland at [email]Jeanne.ClellandNOSPAM.colorado.edu[/email] wrote on 7/21/03 4:25
    PM:
    > In article <BB41B126.DC56%henrynzzzspacebbs.com>,
    > Henry <henrynzzzspacebbs.com> wrote:

    <snip>
    > Yeah, I have no clue either, and if I don't already have Classic
    > running, it starts it up before I get this message. What on earth could
    > it be trying to do that requires OS 9?
    My advice on this is: don't take this symptom too seriously. It seems that
    file--applications associations are vulnerable for some reason. Once a
    piece of this mechanism is broken, you don't always get a clear-cut
    symptom.

    This is sort of like Freudian dream ysis.

    >> Obviously your email/newsgroup connection is still working. Can you access
    >> the Internet via Safari without incident?
    >

    > Yup. And it gets weirder: after switching things around in the Internet
    > preference pane for awhile, I logged out and logged back in, and now
    > clicking on URLs in MT-Newswatcher starts up Safari as expected. (Which
    > actually makes me feel better about my system.)
    Right, good. Confidence building is ... good. So again, I would not reload
    your OS quite yet.
    > But trying to launch Retrospect Express'shelp still gives me this Classic
    > startup/null application weirdness. I suppose I can live without Retrospect's
    > help if that's the only thing that's broken - I still have the pdf file for
    > the manual, after all - but it just seems WEIRD!

    Here's a wild guess of what's going on: You're asking Retrospect to access
    a different kind of data file to access help. Retrospect hands the problem
    over to the operating system. MacOS uses its usual method of associating
    an application with that data file. The association file is corrupted, so
    when MacOS looks in the "slot" where the application reference is stored, it
    gets garbage. Well, relative garbage -- maybe it sees the application
    associated with the _next_ data file type.

    It's quite possible that the application reference information obtained is
    passed around to various mechanisms in the system, some of which can
    decipher it better than others. The <null> string message you got is
    consistent with this.

    I'm guessing that there's also a portion of that record which contains a
    mention that "this application is a Classic program" so that the system can
    anticipate what needs to be done to launch it. That portion also contains
    garbage. As a result, you get inappropriate Classic startup.

    >> Oh, you didn't say: which version of the system do you have installed now?
    >> In the old days of 10.1, OS X seemed to scramble preference files
    >> indiscriminately, but I haven't seen anything like this is some time.
    >

    > Currently 10.2.6, upgraded from 10.1.5 about a week ago.
    Good choice. 10.1.5 was quite a bit less stable, in my experience.

    >> Did you try creating a new user and logging in as that user? If the
    >> problems go away, you'll have a lots more confidence in your system. This
    >> isn't very difficult to do.
    >
    > I didn't try this yet; maybe I'll try that tomorrow and see if it fixes
    > the Retrospect problem.
    Really, it's easy. Post back the results, please.

    >> This may be as simple as a file association problem similar to the one I
    >> had. I've got a brief set of notes collected from the net about which
    >> preference files to delete to maybe fix these. If you want, I'll post the
    >> notes and discuss how to apply them -- but, well, sorry, you're on your own
    >> if something goes worse wrong.
    >

    > I appreciate the offer, but if Retrospect help continues to be the only
    > thing that's broken, I probably don't want to risk mucking around with
    > my system too much to try to fix it.
    Good idea to heed my "don't try this at home" warning. However, may I
    point out that corruption in your associations file --if that's the
    problem-- may extend to other applications you use less often. You might
    want to take a cruise through your system, double-clicking doents and
    seeing what happens.

    Thanks,

    Henry

    [email]henrynzzzspacebbs.com[/email] remove 'zzz' antispam

    > Thanks for your help!
    >

    > Jeanne
    Henry Guest

  9. #9

    Jeanne,

    Another thing you can do to check if it really is a Prefs issue is to make
    a Stuffed copy of the entire /Library/Preferences/ folder (gives you a
    backup as well as making the folder 'inert'), trash and flush the original
    Prefs folder, then restart. If the problem goes away, it was definitely a
    prefs file somewhere.

    Warning: Trashing the entire Prefs folder may require a LOT of work to
    reconfigure everything, but you can try reinstalling prefs a few at a time
    from your Stuffed backup. (Ah, just like the good old days of rersolving
    INIT conflicts <sigh and a tear>).

    hth,

    --Fred
    Fred Moore Guest

  10. #10

    In article <BB429EF2.DEF3%henrynzzzspacebbs.com>,
    Henry <henrynzzzspacebbs.com> wrote:
    > >> Did you try creating a new user and logging in as that user? If the
    > >> problems go away, you'll have a lots more confidence in your system. This
    > >> isn't very difficult to do.
    > >
    > > I didn't try this yet; maybe I'll try that tomorrow and see if it fixes
    > > the Retrospect problem.
    >
    > Really, it's easy. Post back the results, please.

    Oooh, now THIS is interesting!

    I got the same symptom with a new user, and I noticed (because I didn't
    bother to hide the dock for the new user like I do for myself) that the
    Classic program that it was trying to start up was Netscape
    Communicator. So I tried just starting up Netscape by itself, and I
    got the same message about the application (null) quitting. So I
    figured that my Netscape application had somehow gotten corrupted, and
    since I never use it anymore anyway, I trashed it. And NOW Retrospect
    help comes up in Safari! Woo-hoo!

    Thanks *very* much for your help; I really appreciate it!

    Jeanne
    Jeanne Clelland Guest

  11. #11

    In article <BB431A1E.E063%henrynzzzspacebbs.com>,
    Henry <henrynzzzspacebbs.com> wrote:
    > Thinking out loud...did you restart after trashing Netscape? If you did,
    > you forced the associations file to be rebuilt, maybe.

    I restarted Retrospect, but I didn't reboot the computer.

    Jeanne
    Jeanne Clelland Guest

  12. #12

    Jeanne Clelland:

    Thanks for your response to my post:

    in article [email]Jeanne.Clelland-C24DB3.21094222072003peabody.colorado.edu[/email],
    Jeanne Clelland at [email]Jeanne.ClellandNOSPAM.colorado.edu[/email] wrote on 7/22/03 8:09
    PM:
    > In article <BB431A1E.E063%henrynzzzspacebbs.com>,
    > Henry <henrynzzzspacebbs.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Thinking out loud...did you restart after trashing Netscape? If you did,
    >> you forced the associations file to be rebuilt, maybe.
    >

    > I restarted Retrospect, but I didn't reboot the computer.
    Hmmm...

    There's clearly more to know about how MacOS X does all this.

    I think it is VERY unlikely you had a corrupt application, per se. Maybe an
    app preference or a system preference.

    That said...

    At this point, I think it's time to quote the last line of the movie
    "Chinatown": "Forget it Jake, you'll never get to the bottom of it], it's
    Chinatown."

    Glad to help.

    Henry

    [email]henrynzzzspacebbs.com[/email] remove 'zzz' antispam

    > Jeanne
    Henry Guest

  13. #13

    Jeanne Clelland <colorado.edu> writes:

    Whoa. Retrospect 5.1 perhaps?
    I just saw this yesterday!

    RS51 wanted OS9-NS for help files. I solved this by opening the
    Retrospect bundle with a right-click. Then chose one .html & splat-I
    it; it said NS. I reset that to Mozilla.

    To do them all, I selected ALL the 5.1 RS .html's and found I could
    splat-I reset to Mozilla as a group.

    --
    A host is a host from coast to com
    David Guest