Professional Web Applications Themes

Where can I begin to learn SCO Unix? - SCO

Hi, group I am about to learn SCO Unix Open Server. Is there some place allowing me to download a copy for study? And, when those days I learned Linux I found there are so many online doentations, that is very helpful. Is that still true for learning SCO Unix? Can anyone point me to some urls which I can begin with? Thanks in advance. -- %% (fortunes) Q: How did you get into artificial intelligence? A: Seemed logical -- I didn't have any real intelligence....

  1. #1

    Default Where can I begin to learn SCO Unix?

    --
    %% (fortunes)
    Q: How did you get into artificial intelligence?
    A: Seemed logical -- I didn't have any real intelligence.
    Steven Woody Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Where can I begin to learn SCO Unix?

    Gary L. Burnore <gburnoredatabasix.com> wrote:
    >On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:38:47 +0800, Steven Woody <stevensteven4u.net>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi, group
    >>
    >>I am about to learn SCO Unix Open Server. Is there some place
    >>allowing me to download a copy for study?
    >Start by calling it OpenServer. Then go to the SCO site and buy a demo
    >copy.
    AFAIK, there's no real demo there. There's a 60 day evaluation version
    for $99.00. Dealers can still get real demo copies, or could last I
    asked anyway.

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

  4. #4

    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote:
    > Steven Woody <stevensteven4u.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, group
    >

    >>I am about to learn SCO Unix Open Server. Is there some place
    >>allowing me to download a copy for study?
    >

    > No. Unfortunately, there's not even a low cost version any more.
    > See [url]http://aplawrence.com/newtosco.html[/url]
    >

    >>And, when those days I learned Linux I found there are so many online
    >>doentations, that is very helpful. Is that still true for learning
    >>SCO Unix? Can anyone point me to some urls which I can begin with?
    >

    > [url]http://aplawrence.com/Links[/url]
    > [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ[/url]
    >
    > --
    > [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    > Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]
    Given the self-destructive nature of SCO is it even worth learning about
    SCO at this point ?

    --
    bill
    Technical Service Systems

    unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

    bill Guest

  5. #5

    Gary L. Burnore wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:15:18 -0400, bill <nobodyspamcop.net> wrote:
    >

    >>tonyaplawrence.com wrote:

    >>>No. Unfortunately, there's not even a low cost version any more.
    >>>See [url]http://aplawrence.com/newtosco.html[/url]

    >>>[url]http://aplawrence.com/Links[/url]
    >>>[url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ[/url]
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>tonyaplawrence.com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    >>>Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]
    >>
    >>Given the self-destructive nature of SCO is it even worth learning about
    >>SCO at this point ?
    >

    > Looks like not. Most of my clients are afraid of the things they're
    > hearing about SCO and want to move away. Fortunately, 80% of those
    > contemplating a move are going to Solaris. Of the other 20%, the
    > majority is leaning towards a Micro$oft solution.

    That surprises me, I would have thought that a medium sized percentage
    would be looking at linux from a major vendor.

  6. #6

    bill <nobodyspamcop.net> wrote:
    >Given the self-destructive nature of SCO is it even worth learning about
    >SCO at this point ?
    First, it's not at all clear that SCO is going to follow the path that
    the Slashdot crowd thinks they will.

    But even if the company did fold up, there will be plenty of
    remaining systems for quite a few years to come.

  7. #7

    Gary L. Burnore wrote:
    > The banking industry is still quite afraid of Linux. Not because of
    > SCO, but because there's no real place to blame if something goes
    > wrong. With SCO, Solaris and M$ products, there's a place to properly
    > pass the buck. :(
    Surely RedHat Inc qualifies as much as SCO Inc as a place to blame (i.e.
    someone for your banking industry CIO to phone up and harangue).?
    SCOX: Mcap 133 M; Sales 70 M; Employees 340.
    RHAT: Mcap 1180 M; Sales 99 M; Employees 566.

    Just my GBP 0.02 worth!

    --
    Ian Wilson.

    Ian Wilson Guest

  8. #8

    Steven Woody <stevensteven4u.net> wrote in message news:<847k5d6g6b.fsfzsw.com>...
    > Hi, group
    >
    > I am about to learn SCO Unix Open Server. Is there some place
    > allowing me to download a copy for study?
    >
    > And, when those days I learned Linux I found there are so many online
    > doentations, that is very helpful. Is that still true for learning
    > SCO Unix? Can anyone point me to some urls which I can begin with?
    [url]http://www.sco.com/support/docs/openserver/[/url] has all the online doc.

    Jonathan Schilling
    J. L. Schilling Guest