Professional Web Applications Themes

Where did my database window go? - Microsoft Access

Hello, My DB starts up with a form. I have disabled the DB window from coming up using the tools/startup option. However when I press F11 the window doesn't show up. When using alt+Tab to switch programs, its there, but it doesn't come up on the screen. I don't know what to do! I'm using Access XP. Thanks! John...

  1. #1

    Default Where did my database window go?

    Hello,

    My DB starts up with a form. I have disabled the DB window
    from coming up using the tools/startup option. However
    when I press F11 the window doesn't show up. When using
    alt+Tab to switch programs, its there, but it doesn't come
    up on the screen. I don't know what to do!

    I'm using Access XP.

    Thanks!

    John
    John Lawrence Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Where did my database window go?

    "John Lawrence" <qwertyqqhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My DB starts up with a form. I have disabled the DB window
    > from coming up using the tools/startup option. However
    > when I press F11 the window doesn't show up. When using
    > alt+Tab to switch programs, its there, but it doesn't come
    > up on the screen. I don't know what to do!
    >
    > I'm using Access XP.
    >
    > Thanks!
    Did you also disable the "Access Special Keys" in your startup options?
    They include the F11 key and the ability to hold down the Shift key to
    bypass the startup options.

    --
    Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    [url]www.datagnostics.com[/url]

    (please reply to the newsgroup)

    Dirk Goldgar Guest

  3. #3

    Hey Dirk,

    I did not disable special keys. However I undid what I
    last did (I set the expand subdatasheet on the first form
    opened at startup to Yes. I changed it back to No. )
    I have my window back!

    As an administrator, if I disable these special keys, how
    do I get back into the database window?

    Thanks,

    John.

    John Lawrence Guest

  4. #4

    "John Lawrence" <qwertyqq2hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey Dirk,
    >
    > I did not disable special keys. However I undid what I
    > last did (I set the expand subdatasheet on the first form
    > opened at startup to Yes. I changed it back to No. )
    > I have my window back!
    That's bizarre. Can you doent this in such a way that I can easily
    reproduce it?
    > As an administrator, if I disable these special keys, how
    > do I get back into the database window?
    If you've locked yourself out and holding down the Shift key as you open
    the database won't let you in, you can run code from VB or another
    database to reset the AllowBypassKey property. The code would look
    something like this:

    Set db = OpenDatabase("C:\Path to\LockedDatabase.mdb")
    db.Properties("AllowBypassKey") = True
    db.Close

    If the lockdown has been thorough, you may have to log into Access as a
    user with administrator privileges on the database in question. But the
    sample code from the help files, commonly used for setting
    AllowBypassKey, isn't that thorough.

  5. #5

    "Mick" <glmdmfreeuk.com> wrote in message
    > Dirk
    > Apologies if I'm wrong here but are you sure that is correct? I'm
    > still fairly new to programming Access and wouldn't argue with your
    > knowledge but I have been experimenting with these features in my
    > database recently. I am able to open it by holding down shift after
    > disabling Access Special Keys and gain access to the database window
    > and the default menu. I thought one had to set the AllowBypassKey
    > property to false in code to prevent the shift key being used. John
    > should be able to open the database using the shift key and change
    > the Special Keys back if that is what is wrong.
    I just checked and you're right. So unless AllowBypassKey has been set
    to False, John should be able to get in without using that code I
    posted, by holding the shift key down. I appreciate the correction.

    Thanks, Mick.

  6. #6

    John,

    Hold down the "Shift" key when u start the database to
    bypass the start-up properties.

    diplodop

    Diplodop Guest