Professional Web Applications Themes

Where did you guys learn Photoshop? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Thanks for all the replies everyone on the batch feature. It it true, I don't understand the terminology, plus to understand one feature, you have to read about another first. The help menu was saying to play, create an action. I'm like, what the hell is "play" and "action"? I rarely use the program. Where did you guys learn all this stuff? Consider me illiterate. I just can't read technical stuff. I actually have to do it rather than read. Any good videos out there? Thanks again, Jeff...

  1. #1

    Default Where did you guys learn Photoshop?

    Thanks for all the replies everyone on the batch feature. It it true, I don't understand the terminology, plus to understand one feature, you have to read about another first. The help menu was saying to play, create an action. I'm like, what the hell is "play" and "action"? I rarely use the program. Where did you guys learn all this stuff? Consider me illiterate. I just can't read technical stuff. I actually have to do it rather than read. Any good videos out there?

    Thanks again,

    Jeff
    JBach36 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Where did you guys learn Photoshop?

    see my reply in the batch thread. welcome aboard jeff.

    Please keep your hands and arms inside the car at all times and make sure to wear your safty harness.

    Guarde por favor sus manos y brazos dentro del coche siempre y cerciórese de usar su arnés de seguridad.

    Have a nice day!

    Tenga un día agradable.

    :)
    dave milbut Guest

  3. #3

    I ate brains of deceased designers. Not quite palatable but adding some sugar helped a lot. Besides I had to convince some donors that were a bit reluctant to serve and be served.

    Truly yours, H.L.

    [translation: Yes, there are lots of books to buy. If you do a search here with the terms 'books, photoshop, learn' you'll get some threads with excelent recommendations of different levels. Welcome, BTW]
    Gustavo Sanchez Guest

  4. #4

    Experiment, experiment, experiment, and if that doesn't work, experiment some more. I'm pretty much self-taught, and I was completely overwhelmed by PS when I first started, but the more you mess around with it and find out what different things can do, the more confortable you get. I still have much to learn, but I'm very good with it now. Consider subscribing to "Photoshop User" magazine ([url]http://www.photoshopuser.com[/url]), which always has fantastic tips, for beginners and advanced users. The editor of that magazine has published a few books full of great techniques. I've also learned from several books. One of the best has been "Photoshop Restoration and Retouching" by Katrin Eismann. Have fun.
    Masonjar Guest

  5. #5

    I started by going through the manual, repeating the lessons and
    examples time after time (until the techniques finally sunk in).
    --

    Carol
    (Posted from the UK)

    Carol Steele Guest

  6. #6

    College of hard knocks! :)
    Lawrence Hudetz Guest

  7. #7

    Ah, PS God says, play it safe duplicate.
    Josh Conley Guest

  8. #8

    I was taken at a very young age, before the invention of Photoshop..............
    ID. Awe Guest

  9. #9

    Akin to saying: "Mr. artist person, where did you learn to use those brushes."

    It's an ongoing process.
    r_harvey Guest

  10. #10

    Only 3?
    ID. Awe Guest

  11. #11

    There are actually 27 ways to do anything, though no single person knows more than three. Gather 9^3 Photoshop users who were trained separately, and compare notes.
    r_harvey Guest

  12. #12

    Cheesefood, well said!

    When I first got PS4 as a new program, I was completely overwhelmed and the manual made no sense to me. It seemed to be written for someone with a degree in the stuff. Now as I look at the manual for PS7, I think, hmm, they finally made it easy to understand! But maybe after 7 years of experimenting, searching the internet, reading everything I could find, I ended up understanding those words that used to be foreign to me back then. I am still learning and I believe the limits are only in the imagination.

    I LOVE PHOTOSHOP!

    ~Cindy Singleton
    Cindy Singleton Guest

  13. #13

    By spending hours, and hours, and hours, days, weeks, months, years with it, just experimenting.

    Touch and explore every menu item, every feature. When you come to something that makes you go 'WTF?' pull out the manual and look it up, read the help files, do some tutorials.

    Try every suggestion you see written, as there are a million ways to acheive any given result.

    Mainly..... do not be afraid! It seems so many people get intimidated by PS needlessly. I mean the menus don't bite! You can't 'break it' by exploring!

    Your own creativeness and imagination plus Photoshop=WOW!!!

    Now g'on! Launch that app and start messing with it! (manual nearby in case you need it)

    :-D
    Tina Hayes Guest

  14. #14

    Only 3?

    At least 3.

    9^3 photoshopers: LOL!
    dave milbut Guest

  15. #15

    3³ = 27; 9³ = 729
    ID. Awe Guest

  16. #16

    even better! :)
    dave milbut Guest

  17. #17

    If there are 27 ways to do things, it's more like fact(27) variations.
    r_harvey Guest

  18. #18

    You'll never be all that proficient at Photoshop, or any other truly powerful app for that matter if you can't be bothered to read. That's why the programmers and designers took the time to write the information down. If you can't read technical writing, tutorials on the web are excellent substitutes, but you will still need to read.
    Learning to use a search engine, and making attempts to find the answer yourself before posting a lame "do this for me" will usually garner you far more helpful responses that often will reveal some of the "27 ways to do anything in Photoshop," but the lame way will sometimes still get you a response...

    Try a search for "Photoshop actions tutorial," read and follow the directions. You'll then understand "Play," "Action" and how they work.
    Ol' Whozit Guest

  19. #19

    In Jeff's defense, it didn't sound like he didn't read, just that he didn't understand what he did read. Terminology gap. The solution? More reading of course! :)
    dave milbut Guest

  20. #20

    Oh, Dave,come on!

    User Manual, pg 397, "About Actions," and pg 403, "Playing Actions"...The first sentence of each tells in VERY SIMPLE WORDS "what the hell" "play" and "action" are.
    Defense motion denied.
    Ol' Whozit Guest