Professional Web Applications Themes

Where is AT&T nmake? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi Experts: Every couple of years I have to use Linux. I soon run into a situation I haven't encountered using Solaris. When I can't find what I'm looking for in Google archives or the FAQs, I bother you folks. I use ksh. I don't care if it's not the best shell in the world. It's everywhere, except Red Hat 9.0. I'm looking for AT&T's nmake utility, so I can make ksh. I installed AT&T's INIT package, so AT&T's package utility is now installed, I was hoping that would also install any other required software, like nmake. I can't find ...

  1. #1

    Default Where is AT&T nmake?

    Hi Experts:

    Every couple of years I have to use Linux. I soon
    run into a situation I haven't encountered using
    Solaris. When I can't find what I'm looking for in
    Google archives or the FAQs, I bother you folks.

    I use ksh. I don't care if it's not the best
    shell in the world. It's everywhere, except Red Hat
    9.0.

    I'm looking for AT&T's nmake utility, so I can make
    ksh.

    I installed AT&T's INIT package, so AT&T's package
    utility is now installed, I was hoping that would
    also install any other required software, like nmake.

    I can't find a package on AT&T's site that
    contained nmake.

    There doesn't seem to be an ksh RPM from RH?

    Suggestions?

    Thanks
    Larry
    Larry Lindstrom Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Where is AT&T nmake?

    Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    > Hi Experts:
    >
    > Every couple of years I have to use Linux. I soon
    > run into a situation I haven't encountered using
    > Solaris. When I can't find what I'm looking for in
    > Google archives or the FAQs, I bother you folks.
    >
    > I use ksh. I don't care if it's not the best
    > shell in the world. It's everywhere, except Red Hat
    > 9.0.
    >
    > I'm looking for AT&T's nmake utility, so I can make
    > ksh.
    >
    > I installed AT&T's INIT package, so AT&T's package
    > utility is now installed, I was hoping that would
    > also install any other required software, like nmake.
    >
    > I can't find a package on AT&T's site that
    > contained nmake.
    >
    > There doesn't seem to be an ksh RPM from RH?
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Larry
    Hi Larry,

    Sorry about your luck...only getting to use Linux every few years that is.
    I use it every day for the last 15 months.

    There is a Korn shell included RH 9.0, it is on CD 2, and is named pdksh
    (for public domain Korn shell). I have installed it, and it starts by
    entering the 'ksh' command. I have use only bash, so hopefully this is
    what you need.

    Regards,
    Rodger

    RodgerH Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:53:36 +0000, Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    > Hi Experts:
    >
    > Every couple of years I have to use Linux. I soon
    > run into a situation I haven't encountered using
    > Solaris. When I can't find what I'm looking for in
    > Google archives or the FAQs, I bother you folks.
    You are not looking very hard on Google.

    [url]http://www.google.com[/url]

    enter "nmake"

    the first return puts you on its home page.

    Dave Uhring Guest

  4. #4

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:53:36 +0000, Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Experts:
    > >
    > > Every couple of years I have to use Linux. I soon
    > > run into a situation I haven't encountered using
    > > Solaris. When I can't find what I'm looking for in
    > > Google archives or the FAQs, I bother you folks.
    >
    > You are not looking very hard on Google.
    >
    > [url]http://www.google.com[/url]
    >
    > enter "nmake"
    >
    > the first return puts you on its home page.
    Hi Dave:

    You are wrong. I was looking very hard at Google
    archives, for AT&T's nmake. The first return refers to
    Lucent's nmake.

    The AT&T download page says the following:

    The packages and instructions are probably very
    different than what you may have used before; the
    initial setup can be tedious.

    From AT&T's nmake FAQ:

    1. Is nmake(1) really the greatest thing since
    sliced bread?

    Well, basing the entire build and packaging
    process on the AT&T nmake does put us way out
    on a lonely limb.

    Is Lucent nmake compatible with AT&T's nmake?

    Thanks
    Larry
    Larry Lindstrom Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:29:07 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > Lucent is the successor to AT&T Bell Labs. I expect they are the same but
    > I cannot guarantee that.
    Unless you are religiously attached to Red Hat, I would suggest that you
    consider installing Slackware 9. It comes with ksh93.

    Dave Uhring Guest

  6. #6

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:29:07 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    > > Lucent is the successor to AT&T Bell Labs. I expect they are the same but
    > > I cannot guarantee that.
    >
    > Unless you are religiously attached to Red Hat, I would suggest that you
    > consider installing Slackware 9. It comes with ksh93.
    Thanks Dave:

    Religiously attached? My disdain for Red Hat is
    slightly less than my disdain for Microsoft.

    My local Fry's Electronics doesn't have Slackware
    on the shelves.

    Unfortunately I don't have a burner, and the two
    Win98 users I know who each own one have demonstrated
    an inability to burn an ISO image.

    Thanks
    Larry
    Larry Lindstrom Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 03:36:10 +0000, Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    > Religiously attached? My disdain for Red Hat is
    > slightly less than my disdain for Microsoft.
    Complete agreement there, although I do still have RH-9 installed on a
    second hard drive just to re-confirm that belief ;-)
    > My local Fry's Electronics doesn't have Slackware
    > on the shelves.
    >
    > Unfortunately I don't have a burner, and the two
    > Win98 users I know who each own one have demonstrated
    > an inability to burn an ISO image.
    Well, if you have a bit of space available on another computer running
    Linux, BSD or some form of UNIX you can download the full content of the
    CD, create the required floppies (3-4) and install the system by NFS. I
    did in fact install Slackware-8.0 on a laptop that way; the laptop lacks a
    CDROM drive.

    Give Lucent's nmake a try first; getting all of Slack's files requires a
    substantial download:

    [save]# du -sk slack-9.0/
    1338964 slack-9.0

    It may also be possible to install Slack from the download if you place
    those files in /home and do not create a new filesystem on /home during
    the installation. I haven't tried that so check the Slackware-HOWTO in
    the top level directory on the FTP server.

    You may also have the option of installing Slackware's ksh93 package on
    your Dead Rat system. The package is in the slackware/ap/ directory on
    the servers and can be unpacked in /tmp. Then run ldd on the executable:

    [root]# ldd /bin/ksh
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40025000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40029000)

    If Dead Rat has those libs you could use that binary. In fact, RH-9 does
    indeed have those 3 libraries.

    Dave Uhring Guest

  8. #8

    Larry Lindstrom writes:
    > My local Fry's Electronics doesn't have Slackware on the shelves.
    So order it (or Debian) from Cheapbytes.
    --
    John Hasler
    [email]johndhh.gt.org[/email]

  9. #9

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:07:53 +0000, Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    > I spent $180.00 on a delux box of RH 7.0. The CDs
    > are too slippery for coasters, not aerodynamically
    > stable enough for a Frisbee, and too bug infested to
    > install. I hated to turn around and give them another
    > $30.00 for RH 9 when my friends couldn't burn the ISO
    > images.
    RH-7.3 was a pretty good distribution, the last one where the fonts
    displayed properly. RH-7.3 also installed a reasonably secure OS, but
    with an OpenBSD firewall between my network and the Internet I seldom
    worry about how secure a freshly installed OS is.

    BTW, you could have spent that $30 plus a few more and bought a CD burner.
    The last one I bought was $70 with a $20 rebate which BestBuy still has
    not returned to me. Those gadgets are useful for more than just burning
    Linux CDs. I have Solaris 8 and 9 on this Ultra 1, both installed from
    downloaded images.
    > This latest incodent, not installing ksh or a
    > transparent work-alike by default, reinforces my opinion
    > of them.
    With a "complete" install RH-9 did put pdksh on my hard drive.
    > I've wondered if that was an option. My development
    > environment is a couple of PCs running Solaris. If I
    > can "get" Linux, I'll add that operating system to my
    > development environment. Right now it's one more
    > problem I have to solve.
    Well, if you have a bit of space available on one of those Solaris PCs you
    can certainly use NFS on that machine for doing an NFS install. It will
    probably run faster than a CD install, too ;-)

    > Thanks Dave, I don't know which of the two cross-
    > posted newsgroups you are reading, but I sent a
    > response to Roger from an ISP that only subscribes to
    > one, so you might have missed it.
    Supernews does not carry the redhat NG.
    > He suggested
    > installing a ksh work-alike called pdksh, public
    > domain ksh. It's on RH 9's second CD. I've installed
    > pdksh, it seems to work fine, and now I'm moving on with
    > RH 9. I'll try to never send another dime to Red Hat.
    pdksh has most of the functionality of ksh88 and ksh93, but not all. As I
    pointed out, one of your options is to install ksh93 from the Slackware
    distro onto your Dead Rat system. If Slackware's ldd did not lie to me
    you should have no library problems with it.

    Unpack the ksh93 package in /tmp. Modify the /tmp/install/doinst.sh
    script and execute it.
    > I've wasted a bunch of time thanks to RH's decision to
    > break with a standard Unix vendors have respected for a
    > long time.
    The Korn shell has long had a history of licensing issues and it was
    only within the last couple of years that ksh93 has been made publicly
    available, with license restrictions. Red Hat, understandably, does not
    wish to get into any conflicts with those licenses. That reason also is
    why Red Hat does not ship with the ntfs.o module or functional mp3
    players.
    > I appreciate your advice in the Solaris news groups and
    > I'm glad to see you are patrolling Linux.
    I use both Solaris and Linux, generally reasonably well ;-)

    Dave Uhring Guest

  10. #10

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:07:53 GMT, Larry Lindstrom <larrylaracnet.com>
    wrote:
    >Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 03:36:10 +0000, Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    >>
    >> > Religiously attached? My disdain for Red Hat is
    >> > slightly less than my disdain for Microsoft.
    >>
    >> Complete agreement there, although I do still have RH-9 installed on a
    >> second hard drive just to re-confirm that belief ;-)
    >
    > I spent $180.00 on a delux box of RH 7.0. The CDs
    >are too slippery for coasters, not aerodynamically
    >stable enough for a Frisbee, and too bug infested to
    >install. I hated to turn around and give them another
    >$30.00 for RH 9 when my friends couldn't burn the ISO
    >images.
    >
    > This latest incodent, not installing ksh or a
    >transparent work-alike by default, reinforces my opinion
    >of them.

    [snipped for bandwidth]

    BZZT! Redhat 9, I typed ksh at a prompt, and was rewarded with - a
    running instance of ksh. Try 'man ksh' for details....

    Mike-

    If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
    Michael W. Cocke Guest