Professional Web Applications Themes

where is my disk space? - Mac Applications & Software

In <google.com> bob wrote:  If Omni Disksweeper is not telling you where the space has gone, then it's not the program you should be using. A good disk surveyor program ( such as Disk Surveyor!) will show you everything, visible and invisible, and show you just how much space every folder and file is taking up. You might, for starters, try restarting. This deletes your swapfiles and anything in your /tmp directory. Also, remember, the Finder doesn't update information about how much space you have left until you make some change, such as deleting a file. m. -- matt neuburg, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: where is my disk space?

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  2. #2

    In article <google.com>,
    com (bob) wrote:

    What you know (on that topic) is wrong.

    Obviously, this is an issue with DiskSweeper and/or your use of it.
    Unless your file system is filled almost exclusively with files that are
    about 1600 bytes (a state I'm almost certain doesn't exist) you're not
    going to fill a 25G drive with 10G of data.

    Are you sure what DS is measuring? Perhaps it's only looking at your
    home directory and you have a substantial amount of space consumed by
    apps. Perhaps you've got 14G in the trash and DS ignores that.

    where is the rest of my drive space? Are there hidden

    Localizations. Do a get-info on an application, and one of the sections
    of the window will let you see and edit the list of supported languages.
    I've actually freed up a good amount of space purging localizations from
    apps I don't use. But things like what you're describing aren't going to
    be responsible for the free space issue you're reporting.

    Gregory Guest

  3. #3

    > I'm told by finder

    Here is one way of finding the available disk space on the disk.

    click on Macintosh HD
    press command-i

    see available disk space

    I believe this gives you an accurate number. Perhaps you were looking
    in the wrong place in the finder. There is an option to calcuate
    folder size or not.

    Robert
    Robert Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 00:26:11 GMT,
    Gregory Weston (com) wrote:

    Sweet. I didn't know about that. Thanks for the tip!

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  5. #5

    Thanks for all of your advice. I did try disk surveyor, and I later
    tried the du command in the terminal. I discovered the calculate
    file/folder size function in finder only reads stuff I have permission
    to. Finder tells me the user folder is only 3 Gb large. Disk
    surveyor and du tells me 19 Gb is eaten up by my users. Mystery
    solved. 19 - 3 is more or less 15Gb. Time to crack some heads, and
    buy some blank CD's :-)

    Thanks again.
    bob Guest