Professional Web Applications Themes

Where is plain ol' Stop in Actions? - Macromedia Flash Sitedesign

I'm stumbling along trying to create a movie. Have a tutorial that is walking me through and all is well until it tells me we need to stop the movie. It says in "Normal Mode" (what's that?) double click on the "stop" command under actions - movie control. That's where I get lost. I've got MX and I can't find that sequence of actions anywhere. Is it a different sequence of events in MX? I can get an instanceName.stop (), but that's as close as I can come to getting the action that the tutorial wants me to have, which ...

  1. #1

    Default Where is plain ol' Stop in Actions?

    I'm stumbling along trying to create a movie. Have a tutorial that is walking me through and all is well until it tells me we need to stop the movie. It says in "Normal Mode" (what's that?) double click on the "stop" command under actions - movie control. That's where I get lost.

    I've got MX and I can't find that sequence of actions anywhere. Is it a different sequence of events in MX? I can get an instanceName.stop (), but that's as close as I can come to getting the action that the tutorial wants me to have, which is just stop I think.

    Totally confusing. I thought the tutorial was for MX but maybe it isn't, who knows. I'm sure I'm making this harder than it actually is but when you have about 500 or so Actions to choose from and you don't know stop from sick em' it can be rather daunting.

    Could someone please tell me what I'm missing here? That is if any of my jumbled explanation makes sense to you? It sure doesn't to me.

    Thanks,

    Joe

    golfmax13 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Where is plain ol' Stop in Actions?

    Immediately after writing my first note I get this email from the guy who did the tutorial. Evidently he was using a previous version of flash and had just purchased the Studio MX Suite today and found out accessing the Actions were different in MX.

    This is what he wrote.

    Issues:

    1. No right click function for Actions.
    2. No Normal Mode or Expert Mode in Actions Window.
    3. All Action Scripting is now performed in Expert Mode. This means typing code in manually.

    The lesson for ?Creating a Basic Movie? makes reference several times to Actions functions that are not available in MX 2004.

    ?Stop? Action

    In order to assign the Stop action in MX 2004 you must do the following:
    1. Window/Development Panels/Actions.
    2. In the left side panel select Global Functions/Timeline Control/stop
    3. Drag the ?stop? action into the main Action Window.

    ?GoTo? Action

    In order to assign the ?GoTo? actions for the buttons in MX 2004, you must do the following:
    1. Window/Development Panels/Actions.
    2. Type in the following in the main Action Window:
    on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay(framenumber);
    }

    Example:
    on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay(200);
    }

    You may also refer to the FLA file that came with the lessons.

    Incredible timing. Anyway, I'm sure this won't be my last lame question on this forum. And I won't get my feelings hurt if you move my threads to the dunce forum.

    Best,

  3. #3

    Are you using Flash MX, or Flash MX 2004?

    wickedlame webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    im using flash MX and theres expert and normal. in the actions panel, theres a little drop down menue thing in the top right hand corner, press that and you can change

    GilesW webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    I'm using Flash MX Professional 2004. (Like I should be using Professional anything:o)

    That top right menu thingy doesn't include the expert and normal options, at least I can't find them. The tutorial person wrote in his note that all the Action Scripting in this version has to be done manually. If that's true it is not good news for me.

    I guess the steep learning curve just got bigger.

    js

    golfmax13 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest