Professional Web Applications Themes

Where is the _real_ config file for RHES3.0 kernel source... - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

On Red Hat Enterprise Server 3.0 I need to re-compile the kernel to support a bttv-based capture card (for use in webcasting). When I import the appropriate configuration file from /boot/config-2.4.21-4.0.1.ELsmp I find that a lot more modules are enabled than are present with the binary kernel I am currently using. If it was just a matter of just waiting for the whole lot to compile I wouldn't mind so much but the thing just doesn't compile. It barfs at the point indicated below. De-selecting modules until it compiles is time consuming. Starting from zero and only selecting the modules ...

  1. #1

    Default Where is the _real_ config file for RHES3.0 kernel source...

    On Red Hat Enterprise Server 3.0 I need to re-compile the kernel to
    support a bttv-based capture card (for use in webcasting).

    When I import the appropriate configuration file from
    /boot/config-2.4.21-4.0.1.ELsmp I find that a lot more modules are
    enabled than are present with the binary kernel I am currently using.

    If it was just a matter of just waiting for the whole lot to compile I
    wouldn't mind so much but the thing just doesn't compile. It barfs at
    the point indicated below.

    De-selecting modules until it compiles is time consuming. Starting
    from zero and only selecting the modules I need would be fine except
    for the risk of missing something essential and is also time
    consuming. I am usually accessing this machine remotely so if the
    reboot fails I won't be able to do anything about it for a few hours.

    What I want is the _actual_ configuration the machine is currently
    running, and then just enable the _extra_ modules I need, not have to
    re-think the whole process.

    Anyway, for what it's worth this is where make bzImage fails...

    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/include -Wall
    -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
    -fno-common
    -Wno-unused -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -freorder-blocks
    -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -nostdinc -iwithprefix
    include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=netsyms -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c netsyms.c In
    file included from netsyms.c:59:
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/include/net/ah.h: In function
    `ah_hmac_digest':
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/include/net/ah.h:26: warning: implicit
    declaration of function `crypto_hmac_init'
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/include/net/ah.h:27:
    `crypto_hmac_update' undeclared (first use in this function)
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/include/net/ah.h:27: (Each undeclared
    identifier is reported only once
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/include/net/ah.h:27: for each function
    it appears in.)
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/include/net/ah.h:28: warning: implicit
    declaration of function `crypto_hmac_final'
    In file included from netsyms.c:62:
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/include/net/esp.h: In function
    `esp_hmac_digest':
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/include/net/esp.h:49:
    `crypto_hmac_update' undeclared (first use in this function)
    make[2]: *** [netsyms.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/net'
    make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-4.0.1.EL/net'
    make: *** [_dir_net] Error 2
    Fred Guest

  2. #2

    In comp.os.linux.setup Fred Phase <com> wrote:

    Why? Isn't it a module, not part of the kernel? And don't you already
    have it?

    Then someone has lied to you.

    Then don't compile the thing that's compiling at the "point below".

    Why? It takes a couple of seconds each time, no? And you only have to
    do it once.

    There's no risk. You aren't going to throw away any of your existing
    modules are you? If so, why?

    I don't understand any of your logic. And if I don't, you aren't using
    any.

    You have it.

    You don't have to in any case. The config comes in the kernel rpm.

    Don't run it. You want to make modules.

    Well, I wouldn't compile in support for crypto functions then! Leave
    them as a module.

    Boring. You appear to have messed up a little. Find your function and
    compile whatever it is in into the kernel. Or just stop compiling all
    this lark intoteh kernel.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:15:39 -0800, Fred Phase wrote:

    The bttv is compiled on RHEL 3.0, the video capture is supported.
    The bttv audio capture ended in -unsupported RPM, but it works fine.
    Most people do not use built in audio on 878 & 879 anyhow
    (as most cards do not include the circuitry for it).

    I strongly suspect you did something wrong in setup or configuration
    of the existing kernel.

    BTW, the comp.os.linux is not a valid newsgroup.

    That said, the configuration is, obviously, in the SOURCE CODE
    PACKAGE. Use your critical thinking! At build time, your installed
    config is not known to Red Hat build servers, so obviously they
    do not use it. Install the srpm; after rpmbuild -bp configs
    sit in ..../rpms/BUILD/kernel-2.4/linux-2.4.20/configs/* .
    If you are one of those RPM haters, install kernel-source RPM,
    configs are present in the same place under /usr/src/linux-2.4.

    -- Pete

    Pete Guest

  4. #4

    Pete Zaitcev <com> wrote in message

    There is no bttv* file anywhere under /lib/modules from either the
    2.4.21-4.0.1.ELsmp kernel or the 2.4.21-4.ELsmp. Same story with the
    non-smp kernels.

    The kernel was what I got with the installation. It was then updated
    using Up2Date. But neither the old nor new kernal has the required
    modules.

    Ooops :-O

    The config file for 2.4.21-4.0.1.i686.ELsmp was in /boot,
    /usr/src/linux2.4/configs and I also unpacked the source RPM to find
    it there. In all cases the appropriate config file had just about
    every module enabled. This doesn't seem to be representative of what
    came in the binary kernel package. It certainly doesn't compile "out
    of the box".

    Fred
    Fred Guest

  5. #5

    Problem solved. It was because all these modules are in a separate
    binary RPM called "kernel-unsupported". I thought it was a whole
    unsupported kernel but it is just a collection of unsupported add-on
    modules, including bttv.

    Fred Guest

  6. #6

    Pete Zaitcev <com> writes:

    >The bttv is compiled on RHEL 3.0, the video capture is supported.
    >The bttv audio capture ended in -unsupported RPM, but it works fine.
    >Most people do not use built in audio on 878 & 879 anyhow
    >(as most cards do not include the circuitry for it).
    >
    >I strongly suspect you did something wrong in setup or configuration
    >of the existing kernel.
    >
    >BTW, the comp.os.linux is not a valid newsgroup.[/ref]

    $ grep ^comp.os.linux! $HOME/.newsrc
    comp.os.linux! 1-169060

    Looks pretty valid to me.

    I suspect the OP problem is the symbolic link in /usr/src
    is pointing to the wrong kernel sources.

    scott

    Scott Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:49:08 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

    > $ grep ^comp.os.linux! $HOME/.newsrc
    > comp.os.linux! 1-169060
    >
    > Looks pretty valid to me.[/ref]

    Old newsgroups are a virus which cannot be eradicated completely.
    Many ISPs stopped carrying comp.os.linux when it was split, but
    not all.

    -- Pete

    Pete Guest

  8. #8

    Forwarded to com because of the "make oldconfig" issues.

    > The bttv is compiled on RHEL 3.0, the video capture is supported.
    > The bttv audio capture ended in -unsupported RPM, but it works fine.
    > Most people do not use built in audio on 878 & 879 anyhow
    > (as most cards do not include the circuitry for it).
    >
    > I strongly suspect you did something wrong in setup or configuration
    > of the existing kernel.
    >
    > BTW, the comp.os.linux is not a valid newsgroup.
    >
    > That said, the configuration is, obviously, in the SOURCE CODE
    > PACKAGE. Use your critical thinking! At build time, your installed
    > config is not known to Red Hat build servers, so obviously they
    > do not use it. Install the srpm; after rpmbuild -bp configs
    > sit in ..../rpms/BUILD/kernel-2.4/linux-2.4.20/configs/* .
    > If you are one of those RPM haters, install kernel-source RPM,
    > configs are present in the same place under /usr/src/linux-2.4.[/ref]

    Umm. Pete? The kernel RPM's these days include the config file used to build
    it and put that file in /boot/config-{kernelname}. It's useful for
    references of what options are enabled and disabled or module-compiled.

    This behavior is not that new, and it's very helpful for debugging or
    building custom kernels for newer kernel-source packages without having to
    install the old kernel-source package and copy the
    /usr/src/linux-{kernelversion}/configs/ files someplace else for reference,
    or grabbing them from the kernel SRPM.

    Mind you, I wish RedHat would borrow a flipping clue and run their kernel
    ".config" files through "make oldconfig" to give them a consistent format
    easier to compare and read from scratch. The white space and comment changes
    alone between different .config files makes them tough to compare if you
    don't do this.

    RedHat? Could you please, please, please run the ".config" files in your
    kernel RPM's through "make oldconfig" before putting them in your SRPM's? It
    would make kernel development with RPM's considerably easier to manage.

    Nico Guest

  9. #9

  10. #10

    RedHat, do you follow these groups? Whom should we forward this to there?

  11. #11

    "Fred Phase" <com> wrote in message

    > There is no bttv* file anywhere under /lib/modules from either the
    > 2.4.21-4.0.1.ELsmp kernel or the 2.4.21-4.ELsmp. Same story with the
    > non-smp kernels.

    > The kernel was what I got with the installation. It was then updated
    > using Up2Date. But neither the old nor new kernal has the required
    > modules.

    > Ooops :-O

    > The config file for 2.4.21-4.0.1.i686.ELsmp was in /boot,
    > /usr/src/linux2.4/configs and I also unpacked the source RPM to find
    > it there. In all cases the appropriate config file had just about
    > every module enabled. This doesn't seem to be representative of what
    > came in the binary kernel package. It certainly doesn't compile "out
    > of the box".[/ref]

    Fred's right. It's in the "kernel-unsupported" package, which is a new RPM
    built with the very most recent kernels from RedHat for modules that are not
    yet supported.

    Guys? Don't follow Peter Breuer's "you ignorant n00b" posting style. Folks
    like Fred have in fact done their homework, but may lack a critical detail
    or two to complete their tasks. Help them find that detail, and give them
    approaches that will work in the future. "Read the docs" isn't necessarily
    helpful....

    Nico Guest

  12. #12

    In comp.os.linux.setup Nico Kadel-Garcia <net> wrote:
    > > The config file for 2.4.21-4.0.1.i686.ELsmp was in /boot,
    > > /usr/src/linux2.4/configs and I also unpacked the source RPM to find
    > > it there. In all cases the appropriate config file had just about
    > > every module enabled. This doesn't seem to be representative of what
    > > came in the binary kernel package. It certainly doesn't compile "out
    > > of the box".[/ref][/ref]

    Look - kindly keep your useless observations and insults to yourself.
    Crawl back under your rock. Shoot yourself. Drink cola. I don't care,
    so long as you

    go away!

    Simple, no?

    He has been told - his assumptions are wrong. His config comes in the
    rpm his kernel comes in and that's all. Fin. Stop.

    As a general observation, when he starts from a correct set of axioms,
    his reasoning can be examined. Until then, nix, and all we can do is
    tell him to cease caterwauling.

    Go away, useless nitwit. Offer some *helpful* advice for a change.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  13. #13

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote: