Professional Web Applications Themes

Where To Put GRUB Boot mbr??? - Ubuntu

On Ubuntu 5.10 you could specify where you wanted the boot manager installed, override the mbr of hda, or on another bookable partition such as hdd6 for example. Where during the install process of 6.06 LTS can I specify where I want the boot loader saved? I have a third party boot manager on my hda mbr and I'd like to keep it that way. Don...

  1. #1

    Default Where To Put GRUB Boot mbr???

    On Ubuntu 5.10 you could specify where you wanted the boot manager
    installed, override the mbr of hda, or on another bookable partition
    such as hdd6 for example. Where during the install process of 6.06 LTS
    can I specify where I want the boot loader saved? I have a third party
    boot manager on my hda mbr and I'd like to keep it that way.

    Don
    Don Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Where To Put GRUB Boot mbr???

    Don schrieb:
    > On Ubuntu 5.10 you could specify where you wanted the boot manager
    > installed, override the mbr of hda, or on another bookable partition
    > such as hdd6 for example. Where during the install process of 6.06 LTS
    > can I specify where I want the boot loader saved? I have a third party
    > boot manager on my hda mbr and I'd like to keep it that way.
    Are you using the graphical installer? Then, there seems to be no
    possibility, unfortunately. Try installing in text mode, as usual.

    Regards,

    Jürgen
    Juergen Starek Guest

  3. #3

    Juergen Starek wrote:
    > Don schrieb:
    >
    >> On Ubuntu 5.10 you could specify where you wanted the boot manager
    >> installed, override the mbr of hda, or on another bookable partition
    >> such as hdd6 for example. Where during the install process of 6.06 LTS
    >> can I specify where I want the boot loader saved? I have a third party
    >> boot manager on my hda mbr and I'd like to keep it that way.
    >
    > Are you using the graphical installer? Then, there seems to be no
    > possibility, unfortunately. Try installing in text mode, as usual.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jürgen
    I tried the text mode installation and I was able to install GRUB boot
    loader in an alternate location. Now I have no video, just bands of
    color on my screen. I don't think 6.10 LTS is ready for prime time.
    They need to take it back to the shop and make some needed repairs.

    Don
    Don Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 09:40:09 -0400, Don wrote:
    > Juergen Starek wrote:
    >> Don schrieb:
    >>
    >>> On Ubuntu 5.10 you could specify where you wanted the boot manager
    >>> installed, override the mbr of hda, or on another bookable partition
    >>> such as hdd6 for example. Where during the install process of 6.06 LTS
    >>> can I specify where I want the boot loader saved? I have a third party
    >>> boot manager on my hda mbr and I'd like to keep it that way.
    >>
    >> Are you using the graphical installer? Then, there seems to be no
    >> possibility, unfortunately. Try installing in text mode, as usual.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Jürgen
    >
    > I tried the text mode installation and I was able to install GRUB boot
    > loader in an alternate location. Now I have no video, just bands of
    > color on my screen. I don't think 6.10 LTS is ready for prime time.
    > They need to take it back to the shop and make some needed repairs.
    >
    > Don
    I can get the installer into the boot: prompt, but f keying and trying
    stuff at the prompt I always end up in a graphical install. dapper version.
    gnubie

    gnubie Guest

  5. #5

    Don wrote:

    >> Are you using the graphical installer? Then, there seems to be no
    >> possibility, unfortunately. Try installing in text mode, as usual.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Jürgen[/ref]
    >
    > I tried the text mode installation and I was able to install GRUB boot
    > loader in an alternate location. Now I have no video, just bands of
    > color on my screen. I don't think 6.10 LTS is ready for prime time.
    > They need to take it back to the shop and make some needed repairs.[/ref]

    There is no 6.10 LTS. It's 6.06 LTS and it works just fine out of the
    box. If you are going to do anything other than the default install with
    any OS it is a good idea to prepare yourself before hand. Read all the
    forums available and ask questions when you are unsure.

    YMMV

    Ed

    --
    Registered Linux User #416016