Professional Web Applications Themes

Which BSD version? - Mac Programming

I have a vague idea that 10.1 was based on BSD 3.x, 10.2 was 4.4, and 10.3 is 5, but I'd like to get more specific information. Any pointers? Andrew com...

  1. #1

    Default Which BSD version?

    I have a vague idea that 10.1 was based on BSD 3.x, 10.2 was 4.4, and
    10.3 is 5, but I'd like to get more specific information. Any
    pointers?

    Andrew
    com
    Andrew Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which BSD version?

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Andrew Duncan) wrote:

    Which BSD did you have in mind? There are several different versions.
    Apple specifically mentions NetBSD 5 for Panther on their web site
    (right on the Mac OS X features page, no less). I don't know how/if it
    compares to NetBSD or OpenBSD.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  3. #3

    Tom Harrington wrote:

    ^^^^^^ ^

    FreeBSD, shirley? That's the name of their reference platform, and the
    system from which they use a lot of code in Xnu/Darwin. All of the OS Xs
    have been based on FreeBSD (with the exception of OS X Server 1.x, which
    was IIRC still 4.3BSD).

    --
    Graham Lee
    I am leeg, for we are many

    leeg Guest

  4. #4

    In article <c0t5gu$f10$ox.ac.uk>,
    leeg <physics.ox.ac.uk.valid> wrote:

    > ^^^^^^ ^
    >
    > FreeBSD, shirley? That's the name of their reference platform, and the
    > system from which they use a lot of code in Xnu/Darwin. All of the OS Xs
    > have been based on FreeBSD (with the exception of OS X Server 1.x, which
    > was IIRC still 4.3BSD).[/ref]

    Right, my mistake.

  5. #5

    On 17/02/2004, leeg wrote in message <c0t5gu$f10$ox.ac.uk>:

    > ^^^^^^ ^
    >
    > FreeBSD, shirley? That's the name of their reference platform, and the
    > system from which they use a lot of code in Xnu/Darwin. All of the OS Xs
    > have been based on FreeBSD (with the exception of OS X Server 1.x, which
    > was IIRC still 4.3BSD).[/ref]

    Not quite true. Much of the networking code for Darwin comes from
    NetBSD instead of FreeBSD. And there's some stuff in Darwin which
    is in AT&T Unix but neither NetBSD or FreeBSD. Darwin wasn't a
    simple derivation from any of them, it's the result of cherry-
    picking features from all the different available-versions depending
    on what NeXT thought was usable at the time.

    However, we're now at Darwin 7.2 and have moved quite a long way from
    all of them.

    Simon.
    --
    Using pre-release version of newsreader.
    Please tell me if it does weird things.

  6. #6

    Simon Slavin wrote:

    >> ^^^^^^ ^
    >>
    >> FreeBSD, shirley? That's the name of their reference platform, and the
    >> system from which they use a lot of code in Xnu/Darwin. All of the OS Xs
    >> have been based on FreeBSD (with the exception of OS X Server 1.x, which
    >> was IIRC still 4.3BSD).[/ref]
    >
    > Not quite true. Much of the networking code for Darwin comes from
    > NetBSD instead of FreeBSD.[/ref]

    And some of it comes from OpenBSD too; however the reference system is still
    FreeBSD and that's still the system "from which they use a lot of code in
    Xnu/Darwin". F'rinstance, the IP stuff (which is what I thought of when
    you said 'networking code') comes from FreeBSD (although some of it came to
    FreeBSD via NetBSD, and some code came to FreeBSD via OpenBSD). It is
    presumably quite true to claim that all of the OS Xs apart from OS X Server
    1 have been based on FreeBSD, as that's what Apple claim in
    http://a352.g.akamai.net/7/352/51/56a90f6abb089a/www.apple.com/macosx/pdf/Panther_Unix_TB_10082003.pdf

    *Erkle* If that's the case, then Darwin shouldn't be an Open Source
    project. AT&T UNIX code is still private and must be licensed from Novell,
    so I hope Apple haven't done anything naughty. Could you point to code in
    the CVS that does come from AT&T, please? I haven't seen any in my
    travels. Unless you mean 4.3BSD code that has since been absorbed by AT&T
    UNIX, of course. But then that code was made Free by the Regents and
    became part of 386BSD and then FreeBSD and NetBSD (and then OpenBSD), so it
    *would* be FreeBSD/NetBSD code.

    Is that a subtle pointer to the fact that NeXT are now trading under the
    'Apple' name? Because Darwin/Xnu never existed under NeXT; their Mach OS
    was called 'NEXTSTEP' and was based entirely on 4.3BSD and OSF Mach (plus
    their own extensions, of course).
    --
    Graham Lee
    I am leeg, for we are many

    leeg Guest

  7. #7

    Regarding your question at the end of this post about
    OpenStep - Apple acquired NeXT and absorbed it into OS X.
    Internally there is some Mach stuff too.

    hth
    John

    "leeg" <physics.ox.ac.uk.valid> wrote in message
    news:c17j8c$lda$ox.ac.uk... [/ref][/ref]
    versions. [/ref][/ref]
    Xs [/ref][/ref]
    which

    > > Not quite true. Much of the networking code for Darwin comes from
    > > NetBSD instead of FreeBSD.[/ref]
    >
    > And some of it comes from OpenBSD too; however the reference system is[/ref]
    still
    Server
    http://a352.g.akamai.net/7/352/51/56a90f6abb089a/www.apple.com/macosx/pdf/Panther_Unix_TB_10082003.pdf

    > *Erkle* If that's the case, then Darwin shouldn't be an Open Source
    > project. AT&T UNIX code is still private and must be licensed from[/ref]
    Novell,
    it

    > Is that a subtle pointer to the fact that NeXT are now trading under the
    > 'Apple' name? Because Darwin/Xnu never existed under NeXT; their Mach OS
    > was called 'NEXTSTEP' and was based entirely on 4.3BSD and OSF Mach (plus
    > their own extensions, of course).
    > --
    > Graham Lee
    > I am leeg, for we are many
    > "Real programmers don't doent. If it was hard to write, it's going to[/ref]
    be

    John Guest

  8. #8

    John Scalco wrote:

    Nonono, they absorbed OPENSTEP into *Rhapsody* and OS X Server 1. By the
    time OS X came aorund, they were just using the same Mach microkernel as
    the foundation of XNU and had switched the UNIX code from the 4.3BSD found
    in NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP to FreeBSD code, have a look at the source should you
    disbelieve me. OpenStep is an API specification that is implemented and
    extended by Cocoa and GNUstep.

    Please refrain from top-posting.
    --
    Graham Lee
    I am leeg, for we are many

    leeg Guest

  9. #9

    On 21/02/2004, leeg wrote in message <c17j8c$lda$ox.ac.uk>:

    > *Erkle* If that's the case, then Darwin shouldn't be an Open Source
    > project. AT&T UNIX code is still private and must be licensed from
    > Novell, so I hope Apple haven't done anything naughty. Could you point
    > to code in the CVS that does come from AT&T, please?[/ref]

    I apologise for that. I was wrong. I had assumed that the code
    I was looking at was from AT&T Unix but in fact it seems to be
    either original with Apple or from some other form of BSD.

    The code I'm talking about is some complicated stuff involved in
    file-handling. It's quite possible for someone to rewrite it
    from a description of its function without seeing the original code
    so it's possible original with Darwin.

    Apologies for my earlier error.

    Simon.