Professional Web Applications Themes

Which Dual-CPU Mother Boards work best? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

My mother board is malfunctioning, and I'm planning on replacing it with a dual CPU model. I run Windows/2000, and Elements 2.0 is probably my most-used application. Which CPUs and mother boards would work out best? Should I stick with Intel, or will AMD do? Thanks, Bruce Feist...

  1. #1

    Default Which Dual-CPU Mother Boards work best?

    My mother board is malfunctioning, and I'm planning on replacing it with a dual CPU model. I run Windows/2000, and Elements 2.0 is probably my most-used application. Which CPUs and mother boards would work out best? Should I stick with Intel, or will AMD do?

    Thanks,
    Bruce Feist
    Bruce Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which Dual-CPU Mother Boards work best?

    Bruce,
    I have only owned one AMD motherboard, it had to be replaced twice. Now I don't know if this is indicative of AMD or not, but, I would stay with Intel. Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

    Bruce
    Bruce Guest

  3. #3

    I understand Adobe tests their products using Intel processors. We have a number of people on the forum using AMDs, and I can think of one or two minor problems reported, but I don't remember if those were with single or dual processor models. Generally, I think AMDs are fine, but if I were you, and Elements was my most heavily used app, I'd go with the processor on which the software had been tested.
    Beth Guest

  4. #4

    In all my years of using AMD processors, I have never had any issues with any program.
    Lou Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:25:23 -0700, "Bruce Feist" <org>
    wrote:

    Use since at least 10 years ASUS boards. A few single cpu machines and
    always on my graphical workstation a double with Intel cpu's. It may
    cost a bit more but it is quite stable. (right word for not letting me
    down?)

    Aart
    Aart Guest

  6. #6

    Just FYI, the Elements 2 box specifically states (under the system requirements) "Intel Pentium processor". So if you DO get an AMD board, you won't get any support from Adobe (probably) if you have problems.
    Elena Guest

  7. #7

    Running Elements and PS here on an Athlon for the last couple years with no
    problems....so far!

    :-)

    Chuck Guest

  8. #8

    I've got Elements installed on one of our Win machines running an AMD, too, and haven't had any trouble. I may be making this up or confusing it with something else, but I do seem to remember someone with a dual processor AMD set up that was having some trouble. Richard advised shutting down one of the processors, if I recall. Is it possible the duals are more finicky than the singles? I sure wouldn't have any personal knowledge of how to live with a dual processor computer! :) I can, though, dream.
    Beth Guest

  9. #9

    Interesting -- I've been running with AMD processors as well, and the motherboards (SOYO Dragon series) have been dying at about the rate of one a year. I don't know why; I haven't been overclocking or doing anything unusual. I've chalked it up to either just bad luck or something environmental that I haven't identified. For some reason, the capacitors start to corrode.

    Maybe it's time to try something different.
    Bruce Guest

  10. #10

    Bruce, that sounds like my wife! She's got some sort of energy zone around her that destroys all hardware and software. It's amazing. :-)
    Lou Guest

  11. #11

    "Bruce Feist" <org> wrote in message

    Try a new motherboard. A couple of years ago, some poorly made capacitors
    found their way into the motherboard market, especially on some of the
    less-expensive models. The capacitors leak after a short time in operation.

    You may be able to get your motherboard manufacturer to send you a new
    motherboard. But if not, a new motherboard should not cost too terribly
    much.

    Here's an article that discusses the issue:
    http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

    As far as Intel vs AMD goes...I don't use any AMD computers, but AMD has a
    very good reputation for compatibility. Also, even though the Elements box
    says "Intel", it would be pretty foolish for Adobe to refuse support on an
    AMD machine. They have a significant portion of the market now, which means
    Adobe would be shutting out a significant number of customers with such a
    policy.

    Pete

    Peter Guest

  12. #12

    That's fascinating information about the leaky capacitors! Given that SOYO apparently hasn't admitted to any problems, I don't think that I'll be getting a free replacement. But nonetheless, it's nice to have a possible explanation. I'm going to pass that message on to my repair guy.
    Bruce Guest

  13. #13

    Beth,

    There is a problem with Online Services on Dual processors that might require a user to turn off one of the processors temporarily. It only seems to effect this one thing, and since there are a just a few recipes and downloads, unless you are a heavy Shutterfly user, it should not be a big problem.

    Elena is of course correct about the support issue, but many people run and enjoy Adobe products on AMD systems without problem. I think Bruce's problem as Peter indicates may have more to do with the SOYO motherboards then with the AMD processor.

    Rich
    Richard Guest

  14. #14

    I knew there was something about the dual processor models. Thanks for clarifying that it was effecting only the online services. Do you know if this happens on any dual - AMD, Intel, Mac - or was it limited?
    Beth Guest

  15. #15

    Beth,

    I believe that it is any dp machine, but don't quote me on that.

    Rich
    Richard Guest

  16. #16

    OK, but it always makes me feel so important to say "Rich says..." :)
    Beth Guest