Professional Web Applications Themes

Which editor to choose?? - Web Design

Hi All, Sorry for the minor cross-post! Just wondering what editor to use to manage a simple website for my band. We are a bunch of employed, professional 'old s' that don't have the time to learn a complicated program. I would be using winxp home with a combination of my ISP's allocated space; a quaint 10 meg, and some pay service like tripod (without ads) for the 20 meg provided. I will only be linking homepages on each server to the other server and not navigating all pages together. It would be a simple website (4-5 pages) with small ...

  1. #1

    Default Which editor to choose??

    Hi All,

    Sorry for the minor cross-post!

    Just wondering what editor to use to manage a simple website for my band. We
    are a bunch of employed, professional 'old s' that don't have the time
    to learn a complicated program. I would be using winxp home with a
    combination of my ISP's allocated space; a quaint 10 meg, and some pay
    service like tripod (without ads) for the 20 meg provided. I will only be
    linking homepages on each server to the other server and not navigating all
    pages together. It would be a simple website (4-5 pages) with small audio
    samples, photo page, calender and comments page.

    MS Frontpage 2000.... (don't know how to use)
    or
    MS Publisher 200?.... (I've made cards and banners)
    or
    MS Word 2002... (I've typed leaters...without check spel
    on)

    What would be the most appropriate application that would suit my current
    needs?

    Thanks,
    Bill

    Bill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which editor to choose??

    If you have FrontPage, use it.

    --
    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    "Bill >" <whsce<no_spam> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Sorry for the minor cross-post!
    >
    > Just wondering what editor to use to manage a simple website for my band.
    We
    > are a bunch of employed, professional 'old s' that don't have the time
    > to learn a complicated program. I would be using winxp home with a
    > combination of my ISP's allocated space; a quaint 10 meg, and some pay
    > service like tripod (without ads) for the 20 meg provided. I will only be
    > linking homepages on each server to the other server and not navigating
    all
    > pages together. It would be a simple website (4-5 pages) with small audio
    > samples, photo page, calender and comments page.
    >
    > MS Frontpage 2000.... (don't know how to use)
    > or
    > MS Publisher 200?.... (I've made cards and banners)
    > or
    > MS Word 2002... (I've typed leaters...without check spel
    > on)
    >

    > What would be the most appropriate application that would suit my current
    > needs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill

    JL Paules Guest

  3. #3

    FrontPage is for web design and management, the others are not.
    Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
    -
    Microsoft FrontPage:
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx[/url]
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/[/url]
    [url]http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp[/url]
    "Bill >" <whsce<no_spam> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Sorry for the minor cross-post!
    >
    > Just wondering what editor to use to manage a simple website for my band.
    We
    > are a bunch of employed, professional 'old s' that don't have the time
    > to learn a complicated program. I would be using winxp home with a
    > combination of my ISP's allocated space; a quaint 10 meg, and some pay
    > service like tripod (without ads) for the 20 meg provided. I will only be
    > linking homepages on each server to the other server and not navigating
    all
    > pages together. It would be a simple website (4-5 pages) with small audio
    > samples, photo page, calender and comments page.
    >
    > MS Frontpage 2000.... (don't know how to use)
    > or
    > MS Publisher 200?.... (I've made cards and banners)
    > or
    > MS Word 2002... (I've typed leaters...without check spel
    > on)
    >

    > What would be the most appropriate application that would suit my current
    > needs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill

    Tom Pepper Willett Guest

  4. #4

    Neither Publisher or Word were built to make web pages. They both generate
    terrible code and it is best NOT to use either .... especially Publisher.
    Word can be used for text but you need to learn how to import it into
    FrontPage without all the 'garbage' code.
    Eleanor
    "Bill >" <whsce<no_spam> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Sorry for the minor cross-post!
    >
    > Just wondering what editor to use to manage a simple website for my band.
    We
    > are a bunch of employed, professional 'old s' that don't have the time
    > to learn a complicated program. I would be using winxp home with a
    > combination of my ISP's allocated space; a quaint 10 meg, and some pay
    > service like tripod (without ads) for the 20 meg provided. I will only be
    > linking homepages on each server to the other server and not navigating
    all
    > pages together. It would be a simple website (4-5 pages) with small audio
    > samples, photo page, calender and comments page.
    >
    > MS Frontpage 2000.... (don't know how to use)
    > or
    > MS Publisher 200?.... (I've made cards and banners)
    > or
    > MS Word 2002... (I've typed leaters...without check spel
    > on)
    >

    > What would be the most appropriate application that would suit my current
    > needs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill

    E. T. Culling Guest

  5. #5

    why not have it all on one server?
    you may be making life more difficult for yourself with two.

    "Bill >" <whsce<no_spam> wrote in message news:e8Q53X1MEHA.644tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | Hi All,
    |
    | Sorry for the minor cross-post!
    |
    | Just wondering what editor to use to manage a simple website for my band. We
    | are a bunch of employed, professional 'old s' that don't have the time
    | to learn a complicated program. I would be using winxp home with a
    | combination of my ISP's allocated space; a quaint 10 meg, and some pay
    | service like tripod (without ads) for the 20 meg provided. I will only be
    | linking homepages on each server to the other server and not navigating all
    | pages together. It would be a simple website (4-5 pages) with small audio
    | samples, photo page, calender and comments page.
    |
    | MS Frontpage 2000.... (don't know how to use)
    | or
    | MS Publisher 200?.... (I've made cards and banners)
    | or
    | MS Word 2002... (I've typed leaters...without check spel
    | on)
    |

    | What would be the most appropriate application that would suit my current
    | needs?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Bill

    Crash Gordon® Guest

  6. #6

    Bill
    Use your version of Front Page, get a "Learn Front Page in 24 hr book" or such to start with
    You can pick a template, add your text and pictures publish your site then modify from there
    Easy...
    Chris Schatte Guest

  7. #7

    I use dreamweaver but normally I use Softquad Hotmetal Pro. Hotmetal Pro has
    by far the cleanest code. Most editors mish-mash code just making things
    more difficult than it is.

    Brad
    [url]www.virtualabstract.com[/url]
    519.354.4921

    "Bill >" <whsce<no_spam> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Sorry for the minor cross-post!
    >
    > Just wondering what editor to use to manage a simple website for my band.
    We
    > are a bunch of employed, professional 'old s' that don't have the time
    > to learn a complicated program. I would be using winxp home with a
    > combination of my ISP's allocated space; a quaint 10 meg, and some pay
    > service like tripod (without ads) for the 20 meg provided. I will only be
    > linking homepages on each server to the other server and not navigating
    all
    > pages together. It would be a simple website (4-5 pages) with small audio
    > samples, photo page, calender and comments page.
    >
    > MS Frontpage 2000.... (don't know how to use)
    > or
    > MS Publisher 200?.... (I've made cards and banners)
    > or
    > MS Word 2002... (I've typed leaters...without check spel
    > on)
    >

    > What would be the most appropriate application that would suit my current
    > needs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill

    Brad Guest