Professional Web Applications Themes

Which Filter size for multiple lenses? - Photography

I currently have 2 lenses that take 52mm and 58mm filters. I'm planning to buy a new zoom in the future, but need to buy a polarizer that will fit my 2 lenses now. I know I can use a step-up ring to make one filter work for 2 different filter sizes, but I don't know what size filter my new lens will take. Any suggestions on what size filter to start with now, so I don't need to start from scratch each time I buy a new lens? Thanks, Andy...

  1. #1

    Default Which Filter size for multiple lenses?

    I currently have 2 lenses that take 52mm and 58mm filters. I'm
    planning to buy a new zoom in the future, but need to buy a polarizer
    that will fit my 2 lenses now.

    I know I can use a step-up ring to make one filter work for 2
    different filter sizes, but I don't know what size filter my new lens
    will take.

    Any suggestions on what size filter to start with now, so I don't need
    to start from scratch each time I buy a new lens?

    Thanks,
    Andy
    I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which Filter size for multiple lenses?

    Research my friend. Choose the lens then figure out what size.

    I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater wrote:
    > I'm planning to buy a new zoom in the future, but need to buy a polarizer
    > that will fit my 2 lenses now....
    > Any suggestions on what size filter to start with now, so I don't need
    > to start from scratch each time I buy a new lens?
    columbotrek Guest

  3. #3

    "I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater" <agpmailnospam> wrote in message
    news:bb1b3a5e.0307161204.3c90048cposting.google.c om...
    > I currently have 2 lenses that take 52mm and 58mm filters. I'm
    > planning to buy a new zoom in the future, but need to buy a polarizer
    > that will fit my 2 lenses now.
    >
    > I know I can use a step-up ring to make one filter work for 2
    > different filter sizes, but I don't know what size filter my new lens
    > will take.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what size filter to start with now, so I don't need
    > to start from scratch each time I buy a new lens?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andy
    Well there is no right answer to this. Since you cannot anticipate what
    lens you will buy in the future and what its size will be. But if you have
    only these two sizes to contend with, then you should buy the larger size
    and buy a step up ring 52 to 58. The only other problem may be of
    vignetting due to the thickness of the filter mount and step rings. This is
    a bigger problem with wide angle lenses, only way to fins out if there will
    be vignetting is to try it.

    Vijay Kumar Guest

  4. #4

    On 16 Jul 2003 13:04:34 -0700, [email]agpmailnospam[/email]
    (I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater) wrote:
    >I currently have 2 lenses that take 52mm and 58mm filters. I'm
    >planning to buy a new zoom in the future, but need to buy a polarizer
    >that will fit my 2 lenses now.
    >I know I can use a step-up ring to make one filter work for 2
    >different filter sizes, but I don't know what size filter my new lens
    >will take.
    >Any suggestions on what size filter to start with now, so I don't need
    >to start from scratch each time I buy a new lens?
    >Thanks,
    >Andy
    Well, the first question would be, if you know for sure what zoom lens
    you plan to buy then go to that manufacturers website and see what
    size filter fits that lens. If you can't find such a site, post the
    make and model of the lens here on the usenet and I'm sure someone
    will know.

    Since you mention 52 and 58mm, I'd take a wild guess that you are
    using Canon equipment. If it's an older Canon FD lens you are talking
    about, I can help you, if it's something else, I'm sure someone else
    will be able to help you.

    My immediate suggestion to you is to buy a 58mm with the stepup ring
    you mention. Something could happen to change your mind about
    purchasing that zoom lens...and who knows...it might just be 58mm too.
    Slingblade Guest

  5. #5

    "I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater" <agpmailnospam> wrote in message
    news:bb1b3a5e.0307161204.3c90048cposting.google.c om...
    > I currently have 2 lenses that take 52mm and 58mm filters. I'm
    > planning to buy a new zoom in the future, but need to buy a polarizer
    > that will fit my 2 lenses now.
    >
    > I know I can use a step-up ring to make one filter work for 2
    > different filter sizes, but I don't know what size filter my new lens
    > will take.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what size filter to start with now, so I don't need
    > to start from scratch each time I buy a new lens?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andy
    I'm "old school" and use Series 8 size filters for most of my zoom lenses up
    to 62mm filter size. For polarizer's, I have them in the "correct" sizes for
    my lenses as many (esp. wide angles) may vignette with adapters. Most of my
    fixed focal length Nikkors are 52mm and I have a large quantity of Series 7
    filters that I use with them. Like I said... old school.

    --
    Bob Fowler
    [email]fowlerphotographyverizon.net[/email]

    news.verizon.net Guest