Professional Web Applications Themes

which image resolution to use for print material - Macromedia Fireworks

I'm used to setting the resolution for photos to 72 px for the web. Now, my son is starting a yearbook at school and just got a digital camera. To resolution should he be saving his photos to for printing in a yearbook? Thanks Susan...

  1. #1

    Default which image resolution to use for print material

    I'm used to setting the resolution for photos to 72 px for the web. Now, my
    son is starting a yearbook at school and just got a digital camera. To
    resolution should he be saving his photos to for printing in a yearbook?

    Thanks
    Susan

    Susan Guest

  2. #2

    On 05 Oct 2003 in macromedia.fireworks, Susan wrote:
    > I'm used to setting the resolution for photos to 72 px for the web.
    > Now, my son is starting a yearbook at school and just got a digital
    > camera. To resolution should he be saving his photos to for printing
    > in a yearbook?
    Dare I suggest checking with the printer/publisher of the yearbook? I'm
    sure they're used to dealing with a wide variety of formats, but at an
    offhand guess, they will be a *lot* happer with their preferred format.

    A 600x300 image is a 600x300 image is a 600x300... In some image
    formats, the dpi setting suggests to print programs the size to print an
    image at.

    --
    Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
    [url]http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe[/url]

  3. #3

    "Susan" <susanwwebworkscafe.com> wrote in message
    > I'm used to setting the resolution for photos to 72 px for the web. Now,
    my
    > son is starting a yearbook at school and just got a digital camera. To
    > resolution should he be saving his photos to for printing in a yearbook?
    First, resolution has no effect on web images - it is only valuable for
    print. Next, 300ppi will, most likely, do for print. Maybe even less - it
    depends on particular print being used. So, you have to have the image with
    desired size IN INCHES, and resolution like 300ppi.

    And of course, it wouldn't harm to consult the printer as Joe suggested.
    They may have particular preferences about formats and resolution.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    [url]http://photoshop.msk.ru/[/url] - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "Umgah are funny. We are Umgah. We are funny. There's no alternative" -
    Umgah,
    Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters

    Ilya Razmanov Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks - that what I needed. This is not a formal school yearbook. I don't
    think they know even where they're getting it printed yet. It's a yearbook
    for a school organization at his university that he and a group in the
    organization decided they wanted to start writing

    The university itself doesn't have a yearbook anymore. I just wanted to help
    him with this because I bought him the digital camera and wanted to make
    sure that as he starts taking his pictures for school, he's taking them in a
    manner best for print.

    Thanks to you and Joe for your help.
    Susan

  5. #5

    > Thanks - that what I needed. This is not a formal school yearbook. I don't
    > think they know even where they're getting it printed yet. It's a yearbook
    > for a school organization at his university that he and a group in the
    > organization decided they wanted to start writing
    >
    > The university itself doesn't have a yearbook anymore. I just wanted to
    help
    > him with this because I bought him the digital camera and wanted to make
    > sure that as he starts taking his pictures for school, he's taking them in
    > manner best for print.
    >
    > Thanks to you and Joe for your help.
    > Susan

    Probably I haven't explained it fully. I suggest you browsing forum archives
    because this was explained many times in all detail. In short:

    1) Figure out the size of print, in inches.
    2) Convert this size to pixels, assuming that 300 pixels occupy 1 inch. That
    would be "minimal" size of the image you should take, in pixels.
    3) Take the photos of corresponding size, in pixels.

    It is, actually, of very little importance what resolution is FORMALLY
    assighed to images, when you take them. It is only important how many
    pixels, bearing actual information, are taken. When you assign the
    resolution (at the moment of taking picture, or later), it controls HOW
    those pixels will be converted to print. That is, you have to take enough
    PIXELS, then convert them to INCHES according to ppi setting.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    [url]http://photoshop.msk.ru/[/url] - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "They told me they fixed it. I trusted them to fix it. It's not
    my fault!" - Lando, Star Wars

    Ilya Razmanov Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks Ilya -
    That spells it out well.

    I'm sorry I didn't do a better search in the archives. I do it all the time
    in the Dreamweaver group. I got lazy this time.

    Susan

    > 1) Figure out the size of print, in inches.
    > 2) Convert this size to pixels, assuming that 300 pixels occupy 1 inch.
    That
    > would be "minimal" size of the image you should take, in pixels.
    > 3) Take the photos of corresponding size, in pixels.
    >
    > It is, actually, of very little importance what resolution is FORMALLY
    > assighed to images, when you take them. It is only important how many
    > pixels, bearing actual information, are taken. When you assign the
    > resolution (at the moment of taking picture, or later), it controls HOW
    > those pixels will be converted to print. That is, you have to take enough
    > PIXELS, then convert them to INCHES according to ppi setting.
    >
    > Ilyich.

    Susan Guest