Professional Web Applications Themes

Which is the best rescale algorithm for GraphicConverter? - Mac Applications & Software

GraphicConverter offers several different algorithms for rescaling an image. Which produces the best results? TIA...

  1. #1

    Default Which is the best rescale algorithm for GraphicConverter?

    GraphicConverter offers several different algorithms for rescaling an
    image. Which produces the best results?

    TIA
    Hobo Guest

  2. #2

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Hobo <com> wrote:

    Bicubic or Bicubic with dither. I don't know what is the difference
    between them. Anyone?

    --
    Matti Haveri <mattiDOThaveriATsjokiDOTutaeiroskaaDOTfi> remove ei roskaa
    Matti Guest

  3. #3

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Hobo <com> wrote:

    Which produces images that look better to _you_?

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  4. #4

    >GraphicConverter offers several different algorithms for rescaling an

    If there was only one algorithm that always produced the best results, then
    GraphicConverter would only offer one choice.

    The one that produces the best results depends on the image. That is why you
    have a choice.

    For photographic images, Bicubic is usually best. If your image is a computer
    screenshot, and you are resampling it to an even multiple of the original size,
    then Nearest Neighbor often works best.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  5. #5

    Hobo wrote:

    Bicubic for jpegs with smooth gradations.
    Linear or nearest neighbor for gifs or images
    with sharp color gradations or edges.
    George Guest

  6. #6

    In comp.sys.mac.apps Hobo <com> wrote:

    That depends on the image, your definition of "best" and your intended use
    for the rescaled image. Try the different options and decide for yourself
    which works best for you.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  7. #7

    The version I have installed doesn't offer different algorithms,
    but inferring from the other posts, one can choose to scale
    bicubic and bicubic with dither. Is there alspo some default
    (not bicubic) option?

    I know for sure that dithering means that you get pictures that
    need less memory. This is useful when you want to publish the
    images on the web, but sometimes it turns out really ugly. If a
    picture is dithered, zooming may be a problem.

    By default, I never dither my pictures. When I scale pictures, I
    don't use Graphic Converter. The free Corel Photo Paint 8 LE
    does a much better job, in my opinion.

    If bicubic is a separate option in your version of GG, just try
    what gives better results, bicubic or not. It may depend on the
    kind of picture, whether you uses a scanner or a digital camera,
    and whether the original picture is already dithered or not.

    Best,

    Mark

    Hobo wrote:

    --

    eHUG coordinator
    mailto:org

    Contribute to HyperCardParis
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/mark.sch/contr.html
    Mark Guest

  9. #9

    >I know for sure that dithering means that you get pictures that

    This is incorrect.

    "Dithering" means "creating pixels of intermediate value by using patterns of
    pixels of different values."

    You got the idea that "ditehering" means "using less memory" because GIF
    images, which are 256 color images, use less memory than true-color images, and
    GIF images use dithering to simiulate shades of color.

  10. #10

    Tacit wrote:

    > This is incorrect.[/ref]

    E.g., a dithered gif image is usually larger (KB) than the undithered
    original.
    George Guest

  11. #11

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Hobo <com> wrote:

    While not a part of GraphicConverter, there is a little standalone
    app for both Mac/Windoze which offers a spline resampling algorithm
    which is far superior although slower than the rest. See URL below:
     [/ref]

    --

    Somebody Guest