Professional Web Applications Themes

Which mail server is the best for me? - FreeBSD

I would like to setup a mail server but am a little confused about whether to use sendmail, qmail, postfix or whatever. Basically my web server is a simple one to be used for personal use with maybe no more than a 10-20 mail accounts. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of each choice, and where can I find more information comparing them? -- Kiffin Rex Gish Gouda, The Netherlands...

  1. #1

    Default Which mail server is the best for me?

    --

    Kiffin Rex Gish
    Gouda, The Netherlands

    Kiffin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which mail server is the best for me?

    Kiffin Gish wrote:

    Why not go the websites of all you mentioned. Read how to set each one
    up, read what the pitfalls are of each, then determine how much time you
    want to spend running one.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    If at first you don't succeed,
    blame it on your supervisor.
    Chris Guest

  3. #3

    Kiffin Gish wrote:

    But to answer you - if you want fast, no frills, nothing fancy,

    Sendmail/qopper - I prefer Postfix, but then you may not wish to spend
    the time learning all the nifty things you can do with it. Postfix "can"
    be a chore - as with any mail server. It's all up to you and how much
    you are willing to invest.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    If at first you don't succeed,
    blame it on your supervisor.
    Chris Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Pat Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Orb Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Pat Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Giorgos Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

    However, it should also be pointed out that, historically, sendmail has at
    times, been more trouble than its worth. It does have a rather long
    history of being difficult to configure, and vulnerable. While it has
    gotten better, id like to throw my $0.02 in here and say, postfix is a
    nice elegant solution to the whole thing.

    I run postfix in darwin. Postfix is a drop in replacement of sendmail,
    offers (IMO) better options, more security, and in my experience, better
    doentation than sendmail. It also seems to play better with spam and
    anti virus add ons.

    I don't want to start a religious war here, but, sendmail in my experience
    has been more about overthinking the plumbing, and really isint geared
    towards novices. In short, you will find that postfix doentation is
    more in "english" and sendmail is more in "geek". Which is fine and dandy.
    Ultimately both scale about the same, as postfix can be dropped into a
    sendmail environment and quickly converted.

    Postfix is like sendmail, without the blood, sweat and tears. If you want
    to get up and running, with 10-20 users, with a minimum of fuss, and
    really solid, non arcane doentation, id go with postfix. It's a great
    project, well updated, well supported, and much lauded.

    I would *not* recommend sendmail to anyone supporting a low user amount,
    in my opinion, the time/trouble to fiddle with sendmail is not worth it.
    Period, end of story. =)

    But, again, that's just my $0.02. Dont take my word for it however, look
    at both http://www.sendmail.org and http://www.postfix.org. The
    doentation differences, and indeed, style in which its presented, alone
    should sell you on postfix. =)

    I have zero experience with qmail, so I can't comment on it. I know people
    who use it have good things to say about it. Including some of the web
    based administration of it.

    --
    Duo

    Although the Buddhists will tell you that desire is the root of
    suffering, my personal experience leads me to point the finger at system
    administration.
    --Philip Greenspun

    Duo Guest

  9. #9

    On Saturday 02 April 2005 04:09 am, Kiffin Gish wrote:

    I prefer Courier. It is similar to qmail, but it doesn't require all the
    patching that it takes to make qmail usable. And unlike qmail, it attempts
    to comply with email standards.

    http://www.courier-mta.org

    /usr/ports/mail/courier

    - Bob
    Bob Guest

  10. #10

    Pat Maddox writes:

    Why?

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Joshua Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jochen Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    Bob Johnson wrote:

    it > attempts to comply with email standards.

    It seems this port is broken...anyone have an idea what needs to be
    fixed to get it to run?

    --
    Matt Virus ("veer-iss")
    http://www.mattvirus.net

  14. #14

    I'd suggest exim,....

    --
    martin

    On Apr 2, 2005 10:09 AM, Kiffin Gish <nl> wrote:
    Martin Guest