Professional Web Applications Themes

Which PC-bucket RAM would work on an Ultra5? - Sun Solaris

So, here's the scoop: I need to run Oracle9i at my Ultra5 at home. One of the prerequisites is AT LEAST 256MB of RAM; I only have 128. Now I need to run down to the local mom'n'pop store and get at least 128MB. I certainly don't want to fork out tons of cash for Sun's branded RAM. Which PC-bucket RAM type will work in my Ultra5, including speed?...

  1. #1

    Default Which PC-bucket RAM would work on an Ultra5?

    So, here's the scoop: I need to run Oracle9i at my Ultra5 at home. One of
    the prerequisites is AT LEAST 256MB of RAM; I only have 128. Now I need to
    run down to the local mom'n'pop store and get at least 128MB. I certainly
    don't want to fork out tons of cash for Sun's branded RAM.

    Which PC-bucket RAM type will work in my Ultra5, including speed?

    UNIX Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which PC-bucket RAM would work on an Ultra5?

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 23:58:14 +0200, UNIX admin wrote:

    Did you think to look at ebay.com with a search string "ultra 5" memory?

    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    Approximately 10/4/03 14:58, UNIX admin uttered for posterity:

    Head for docs.sun.com or sunsolve.sun.com etc. and get
    the part numbers from the hardware manual for the U5.

    Then try www.eBay.com for that part number...stuff is
    cheap and all over the place.

    Lon Guest

  4. #4

    In article <3f7f425a$0$3669$sunrise.ch>, UNIX admin wrote:
    None.

    The memory of the Ultra 5/10 is specific to these computers.
    You can search eBay, check for Kingston, ValueRam (I think) and
    maybe a few others that may sell it.

    --
    Q: What is the difference between a liberal and a puppy?
    A: A puppy stops whining after it grows up.

  5. #5

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Robert Pouliot wrote:

    > None.
    >
    > The memory of the Ultra 5/10 is specific to these computers.[/ref]

    No it isn't. They do use a form of PC memory, just not one
    that became very popular.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  6. #6

    "Dave Uhring" <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    Yes, but it's out of the question as I'm not in the U.S., and the ebay in
    country where I live is too small to have stuff like that.

    UNIX Guest

  7. #7

    "Rich Teer" <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > No it isn't. They do use a form of PC memory, just not one
    > that became very popular.[/ref]

    That's all well and good, but what is it, and which speed does it run on?

    UNIX Guest

  8. #8

    "Robert Pouliot" <krynos.dyn.saturnus.com> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:krynos.dyn.saturnus.com...

    I should have written right at the beginning that I'm not in the U.S. and
    therefore ebay is not an option as the ebay in the country where I'm at is
    too small... not used enough, and there isn't as much available. Of all the
    items, there's maybe just one or two Sun items. I think you get the general
    idea. It's nowhere near as big as the U.S. ebay. So I can pretty much forget
    going that route. It's gonna have to be a mom'n'pop store type-a-deal, as
    much as I don't like going that route either. But first I need to know what
    type of memory I'm shopping for.

    UNIX Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dave Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    In article <3f7fe76b$0$3664$sunrise.ch>, UNIX admin wrote:

    > I should have written right at the beginning that I'm not in the U.S. and
    > therefore ebay is not an option as the ebay in the country where I'm at is
    > too small... not used enough, and there isn't as much available. Of all the
    > items, there's maybe just one or two Sun items. I think you get the general
    > idea. It's nowhere near as big as the U.S. ebay. So I can pretty much forget
    > going that route. It's gonna have to be a mom'n'pop store type-a-deal, as
    > much as I don't like going that route either. But first I need to know what
    > type of memory I'm shopping for.
    >[/ref]
    I guess you could find some place in your country that carries Kingston,
    Crucial, ValueRam memory and ask for the particular part# that you need
    they may not have it in stock, but they'll be able to get it for you.
    For eBay some do accept to ship oversea, other don't unless you ask them.

    --
    Q: What is the difference between a liberal and a puppy?
    A: A puppy stops whining after it grows up.
    http://www.krynos.org/ - ICQ UIN: 2295979
    Robert Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    UNIX Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #12

    In article <3f803bdd$0$3674$sunrise.ch>, UNIX admin wrote:

    > Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :-) Thanks! This will let me pinpoint
    > exactly what I need... hopefully they still sell that type of RAM, or are
    > able to order it.[/ref]
    Unfortunately we once tryed standard 168 pin RAM and it seem the pinout is
    different so you wouldn't even be able to clip the memory into place.
    This is from memory and could be wrong.
    Unless you find used Sun memory or you go to a 3rd party memory that's too
    bad for you.

    I'd like to tell you that there are eBay-er even in Europe so you may be able
    to get it at a decent shipping price.
    eBay is not limited to only USA, I've seen quite a few auctions for Sun
    products from Germany.

    > They're nuts. And I'm not that stupid to fork that amount of money for
    > something that's not worth nearly as much. Just because it's "Sun memory".[/ref]
    It's not even Sun memory, it's 3rd party. Sun memory cost 2-3 times more than
    this.

    And you should see how much SGI charges for this memory.

    If you don't want to spend a dime or make any efforts we can't really help
    you.

    --
    Q: What is the difference between a liberal and a puppy?
    A: A puppy stops whining after it grows up.

  13. #13

    "UNIX admin" <com> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    |"Dave Uhring" <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    |> BTW, www.crucial.com has 128MB U5 sticks available for ~$200USD.
    |
    |They're nuts. And I'm not that stupid to fork that amount of money for
    |something that's not worth nearly as much. Just because it's "Sun memory".
    |Like bull it is.

    It's not Sun memory if you buy it from crucial, it's Sun-compatible,
    and the high price is simply because the demand is low, so there's no
    massive PC-market-sized economy of scale and competition to drive the
    prices down. (It's also getting harder to find since they've stopped
    making it.)

    Alan Coopersmith calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: COM
    Alan Guest

  14. #14

    In <3f7fe76b$0$3664$sunrise.ch> "UNIX admin" <com> writes:

    good luck finding such niche memory sticks at a mom'n'pop store near
    you.

    did you try searching google groups for the information you are
    looking for? this posting contains a list of the Compaq systems
    that used the same memory:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3B9D84B4.80407%40mail.com
    ultrasparc3@hotmail.com Guest

  15. #15

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 20:47:35 +0000, ultrasparc wrote:

    If that list is accurate there are a number of suppliers listed at
    www.pricewatch.com who sell the required modules.

    Dave Guest

  16. #16

    "Robert Pouliot" <krynos.dyn.saturnus.com> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:krynos.dyn.saturnus.com...

    able

    I know that ebay is not limited to only U.S., I'm an old ebayer, and I've
    done trading and bids; been using it all the way since 1997., in fact the
    Ultra5 I have was bought on ebay. I haven't tried Germany yet though. You
    may be on to something.
     [/ref]
    memory".
    than

    That's what I'm saying. Hence the double quotes, as in "Sun memory"
    (opposite meaning). It's not Sun memory. Sun does not produce RAM chips, to
    the best of my knowledge and belief.

    But you guys have helped me. By giving me an exact way to pin point which
    type of RAM I have in the system by looking at Sun part #s, I will be able
    to extract the information I need. Luckily for me, I know my way around Sun
    part numbers.

    I just don't wanna be ered into paying an arm and a leg when I know I
    don't have to, if I only do my homework first, that's all.

    UNIX Guest

  17. #17

    "Alan Coopersmith" <calberkeley.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    Yes Sir, correct on both counts.

    UNIX Guest

  18. #18

    <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    Hey, I got a PC-bucket running Solaris9 AND having all the hardware in it
    supported by Solaris thanks to the mom-n-pop store near me! Although,
    gettin' some Ultra5 compatible RAM may be a little tougher nut to crack. But
    it's alright, I'm down with 'dat.

    It's like the legendary Amiga cracking group "Skid Row" once put it: "Twice
    the fun - double the trouble!" :-)

    ....And cross referencing this with the Ultra5 service manuals confirms that
    it is indeed Micron-made memory that's in question. I should be able to hunt
    this one down.

    I did notice however, that it says you need at least two modules in the
    banks for the system to work, period. So now I'm wondering, that would mean
    I have two 64MB modules (I have yet to open the case, it's been a while). If
    I add a third 128MB module, will that config work, three modules only?

    UNIX Guest

  19. #19

    In article <3f808caa$0$3668$sunrise.ch>, UNIX admin wrote:
    Ultra 5/10 have 4 slot for memory and work in pairs.
    So you do have 2x64. And you'd need 2x64 or 2x128 or 2x256 for it to work.
    If everything else fail, get another Ultra 5/10 with more memory or
    with the same amount (if you can get it cheap).

    --
    Q: What is the difference between a liberal and a puppy?
    A: A puppy stops whining after it grows up.

  20. #20

    UNIX admin wrote:

    > Hey, I got a PC-bucket running Solaris9 AND having all the hardware in it
    > supported by Solaris thanks to the mom-n-pop store near me! Although,
    > gettin' some Ultra5 compatible RAM may be a little tougher nut to crack. But
    > it's alright, I'm down with 'dat.
    >
    > It's like the legendary Amiga cracking group "Skid Row" once put it: "Twice
    > the fun - double the trouble!" :-)
    >

    > ...And cross referencing this with the Ultra5 service manuals confirms that
    > it is indeed Micron-made memory that's in question. I should be able to hunt
    > this one down.
    >
    > I did notice however, that it says you need at least two modules in the
    > banks for the system to work, period. So now I'm wondering, that would mean
    > I have two 64MB modules (I have yet to open the case, it's been a while). If
    > I add a third 128MB module, will that config work, three modules only?
    >
    >[/ref]

    Some Third party memory's for Ultra-10 are will stick up to high
    for an Ultra-5 altough its the same motherboard, different box.
    if you can ge U10 memorys like this very cheap,
    throw away the floppy from the U5 and it will fit.
    or get a new box for the U5 and you can mount "high" memorys
    and you can fit an creator 3d graphics card in the UPA slot.
    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Guest