Professional Web Applications Themes

which shell irc client do you like ? - FreeBSD

i am looking for a very simple colored one, in the style of me 19:10# bla bla you 19:10# bla bla no menus or borders...

  1. #1

    Default which shell irc client do you like ?

    i am looking for a very simple colored one, in the style of

    me 19:10# bla bla
    you 19:10# bla bla

    no menus or borders
    Gert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: which shell irc client do you like ?

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 01:56:50 +0100, Gert Cuykens <com> wrote:

    oh and some kind of warning thingie that tels you if somebody sends
    something. A beep for example that you can turn on and off ?
    Gert Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 01:56:50 +0100, Gert Cuykens <com> wrote:

    I don't know what you mean by no menus or borders, but irssi is pretty
    stripped down and can be run from the console:

    http://www.irssi.org/

    I run it from a screen session all the time and it works well once you
    get the hang of it. I think you can make it beep when new messages
    come in but because I run it on a remote server I've never bothered to
    look into/activate this feature.

    Paul

    --
    Rogue Tory
    www.roguetory.org.uk

  4. #4

    If you ask the wrong questions, you get answers like "42" and "God".

    Christopher Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:45:01 +0100, Paul Waring <com> wrote:

    > I don't know what you mean by no menus or borders, but irssi is pretty
    > stripped down and can be run from the console:
    >
    > http://www.irssi.org/
    >
    > I run it from a screen session all the time and it works well once you
    > get the hang of it. I think you can make it beep when new messages
    > come in but because I run it on a remote server I've never bothered to
    > look into/activate this feature.[/ref]

    thx irssi and bitlbee is just what i needed to cover everything :)
    Gert Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:28:29 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Nehren
    <apeiron+info> wrote:

    No I don't, because it's not a feature that I see any need for. I'm
    sure there is a way to do it but if I don't want that particular
    feature I'm not going to spend time looking for how to enable it.

    Paul

    --
    Rogue Tory
    www.roguetory.org.uk

  7. #7

    <apeiron+info> wrote:

    > Surely you have screen(1) set up to show terminal beeps to you
    > *somehow*, right? I personally prefer having it use esdplay because I
    > usually have rhythmbox going, but you should be able to use a good ol'
    > terminal bell.[/ref]

    so how do you do the beep thingie ? Becuase i did not find it ?
    Gert Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:41:25 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Nehren
    <apeiron+info> wrote:

    > > so how do you do the beep thingie ? Becuase i did not find it ?[/ref]
    >
    > By default, screen translates terminal bells into messages which are
    > displayed at the bottom of the screen. The bad thing about this is that
    > it dismisses such messages as soon as you hit a key. What this means is
    > that if you're typing away at a doent of some sort and someone
    > mentions your nick on IRC, you may not notice. Using ^A-G (default
    > keybindings) will make the bell audible, so that you'll be able to hear
    > it. Whether your terminal emulation program that you use to log into the
    > system translates it into something visual is another matter. If you
    > want to always use this setting but you don't want to have to hit ^A-G
    > every time you start screen, put this in a file named ~/.screenrc:
    >
    > vbell off
    >
    > And you'll never see that annoying visual bell ever again.[/ref]

    And how do you turn on beeps in irssi ?
    Gert Guest

  10. #10

    On 2005-03-27, Gert Cuykens scribbled these
    curious markings:

    /set beep_msg_level hilight

    I recommend perusing through irssi's online help. You'd be surprised at
    what's available (even *I'm* surprised, and I've been using it for a
    while; even tinkered with the Perl API).

    Best Regards,
    Christopher Nehren

  11. #11

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:13:18 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Nehren
    <apeiron+info> wrote:

    > /set beep_msg_level hilight
    >
    > I recommend perusing through irssi's online help. You'd be surprised at
    > what's available (even *I'm* surprised, and I've been using it for a
    > while; even tinkered with the Perl API).[/ref]

    Thx ps how do you do /set | more in irc language ?
    Gert Guest

  12. #12

  13. #13

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:45:04 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Nehren
    <apeiron+info> wrote:

    > Have you tried using the backscroll, accessible (in irssi at least) with
    > Page Up / Page Down?
    >[/ref]

    no :P
    Gert Guest

  14. #14

    Christopher Nehren wrote:

    > Have you tried using the backscroll, accessible (in irssi at least) with
    > Page Up / Page Down?
    >[/ref]

    Just curious if you folks have tried the mozilla application, available
    only from mozilla (not firefox) called chatzilla? I have tried nearly
    all of the other IRC clients, it's not a minimal one, but it's very very
    nice.

    Chuck Guest

  15. #15

    On 2005-03-27, Chuck Robey scribbled these
    curious markings:

    I personally try to keep things as console-based as possible. screen,
    irssi, elinks, mutt, slrn and vim are my best friends. I'd be in serious
    trouble if ncurses broke. :)

    Best Regards,
    Christopher Nehren

  16. #16

    Christopher Nehren wrote:

    > I personally try to keep things as console-based as possible. screen,
    > irssi, elinks, mutt, slrn and vim are my best friends. I'd be in serious
    > trouble if ncurses broke. :)[/ref]

    Can't say that I completely disagree, being that I'm a notable vim
    enthusiast, but I always say, if you're going to be honest, you need to
    at least try the one's you don't like, else you are not being honest in
    saying you don't like it. I spent over a year learning C++, so I could
    be honest in saying I didn't like it. If you don't give something a
    real try, then you're like the 3 year old who says "I don't like it,
    what is it?"

    Chuck Robey | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
    org | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

    New Year's Resolution: I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
    fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
    Signa Phi Nothing).
    Chuck Guest

  17. #17

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:11:27 +0000, Chuck Robey <org> wrote:

    I've tried it, and the last time I did it crashed repeatedly and
    brought firefox down with it. Plus I had to set it up on every machine
    I connected from and tell it which channels to join, whereas with
    irssi I can leave it running 24/7 and so never miss any messages or
    have to mess about rejoining a load of different channels/networks.

    Seeing as I'm typing in commands like /join and /msg anyway, I don't
    see much point in an IRC client with a GUI - where's the extra
    functionality?

    Paul

    --
    Rogue Tory