Professional Web Applications Themes

who owns files in /dev - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hey running RH9 Whenever I log on as another user on my computer, I always get the error message that I do not have permission to access /dev/dsp. Then I discovered that this is because another user and the root group own this device, and the permissions on it are rw-------. Why are some files in /dev not owned by root? How can I fix this problem so that when I log on with a different user on the x system I get sound? Thanks James Leddy...

  1. #1

    Default who owns files in /dev

    Hey

    running RH9

    Whenever I log on as another user on my computer, I always get the error
    message that I do not have permission to access /dev/dsp. Then I
    discovered that this is because another user and the root group own this
    device, and the permissions on it are rw-------.

    Why are some files in /dev not owned by root? How can I fix this problem so
    that when I log on with a different user on the x system I get sound?

    Thanks

    James Leddy
    James Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: who owns files in /dev

    James Leddy wrote:

    What other user did you have in mind?

    Post the original message, not your prose account.

    No, that is not the reason. Post the long directory listing for /dev/dsp to
    start.

    Tell us exactly what you mean by "different user". A user other than root?
    Two non-root users logged on at once? What?

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    On 10/21/2003 12:58 PM, I believe that James Leddy wrote:

    Check the file /etc/security/console.perms
    'man console.perms' should help...

    HTH,
    Tim

    Tim Guest

  4. #4

    I had the similar problem. So, little googling .... and ...

    Leonard Evens wrote:

    See /etc/security/console.perms. This is a new feature whereby
    certain devices are owned by the user at the console but revert
    to root ownership when that user logs out. It is a convenient
    way of dealing with floppy drives, CD drives, audio devices,
    modems, etc., which may require that the user have appropriate
    permissions while logged in. You can of course inactivate
    that feature by editing that file (and probably otherwise
    since it is probably controlled by a program). But I think
    the default assumption is that each machine will have a console
    with a user sitting at it needing those devices.

    John Thompson wrote:

    console.perms does indeed explain why this is happening.
    But if I read this correctly, the device ownerships should
    revert to the "default" ownerships as defined
    in /etc/security/console.perms when the current console user
    logs out and then be changed again to reflect a new console
    user when they log in. But this doesn't seem to be
    happening. Eg, my son used the console for a while this
    afternoon; the ownerships of the defined files in the /dev
    changed as expected so he was able to use the sound device,
    etc. My daughter logged in and used the system for a
    while. Then, several hours later, I logged in and was
    surprised to note that I had no sound. Checking the
    ownerships in /dev I saw that they still were owned by my
    son. Apparently they had never reverted to the default
    ownerships in /etc/security/console.perms or changed to
    either my daughter's or my names when we logged in. I had
    to change them all manually in order to get sound, etc. in
    my console session. Obviously, this isn't working as
    expected. What specific program is responsible for making
    the ownership changes? How can I ensure that the device
    ownerships actually change when they are supposed to do so?
    It puzzles me that they should change for my son, but not
    for me or my daughter, and not revert to the default
    ownerships as defined in console.perms.

    hope this help with previous examples.

    raqueeb hassan
    bunia, DRC