Professional Web Applications Themes

Why do I only have corner handles to crop. - Adobe Photoshop Elements

When I use the crop tool It only allows me to drag from the corners and straighten or turn the image. Isn't there supposed to be handles on the sides to allow the bounding box to be dragged left or right? What do I have set wrong? If you can answer this it would cure my headache! Thank you....

  1. #1

    Default Why do I only have corner handles to crop.

    When I use the crop tool It only allows me to drag from the corners and straighten or turn the image. Isn't there supposed to be handles on the sides to allow the bounding box to be dragged left or right? What do I have set wrong? If you can answer this it would cure my headache! Thank you.
    Erin Wood Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why do I only have corner handles to crop.

    When you first choose crop tool (before you drag) hit Clear in options up
    top.

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  3. #3

    Mac,

    Thank You. I have been so burned up by this. I am fairly new to this program. I find I'm having a hard time learning from the books I have. I do better when someone shows me what to do. Thank you!!!!
    Erin Wood Guest

  4. #4

    Erin,

    No need to sit alone being frustrated, there are lots of friendly, helpful people on this forum who would be glad to help, just ask.
    Nancy S Guest

  5. #5

    Where is the "Clear" option located? I can't find it.
    Ken_Pichon@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Just above your image.
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Erin,

    I don't want to drag this thread on longer than is necessary, but hopefully a little explanation will help you. One of the options you have with the crop tool is that you can specify a specific size and resolution that you want to crop to. I use this feature quite often. However, when you have specified dimensions, Elements will only allow you to crop to that dimension. Consequently, you will not be allowed to move anything but a corner, and as you modify the position Elements will modify both directions for you in order to enable you to have the size you have specified. When you want to freely crop your image, you have to clear any dimensions that you previously set.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Ken

    What do you mean by "clear option" ...If you are still talking about cropping (on a PC), just right click mouse button. There is a menu. Choose crop or cancel. You could also go back using History or use option arrow or select step backward from edit menu or ctrl + z. There may even be more ways than this. Any of these should work unless you are referring to something other than cropping. If it's something else, just add a few details to your post.

    Terri
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Terri,

    I think Ken was referring to the "Clear" button in the toolbar when the Crop tool has been selected. This button clears any specific dimensions that may have been specified by the user. After these dimensions have been cleared, the user can then freely crop the image.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Oh....I See...I was thinking too WAY too basic. My fingers must have been moving faster than my brain.
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest