Professional Web Applications Themes

Why does black text randomly spread over edges of photos - Adobe Indesign Windows

We're using InDesign CS along with Photoshop and Illustrator CS, and are running into random issues with type that spreads when it flows near photos. In some cases it's not even a matter of transparencies causing the issue. The file and PDF itself look fine, but the color proof and RIP is where we're seeing the issue. Could this be a prepress issue, or is there something we can do to avoid this trapping issue? If you move the graphic away from the text box the problem goes away... but not a good design solution. thanks in advance. Dave N....

  1. #1

    Default Why does black text randomly spread over edges of photos

    David_Noffsinger@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Certainly sounds like a transparency issue. Are you sure you aren't using a 'hidden' transparancy feature like feathered edges or drop shadows on the photos?

    When you open the PDF file, is the text selectable/editable?

    What version of PDF are you exporting to?

    Colin W
    CJC_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the response. We generally export our PDFs to level 4. Most of InDesigns presets are at level 4. The text in the PDF file is selectable, so it didn't get rasterized.

    I'll try some experiments with exporting a level 5 PDF.

    Thanks again!

  4. #4

    You might want to post this in the InDesign Service Providers forum, and provide some more details about your rip and workflow. You'll probably find someone there with similar experience.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Actually, you'll see many more print service providers HERE and in the Mac InDesign forum, than in the InDesign Service Providers forum. That forum has never caught on, and has only a tiny number of posts. So post your RIP and workflow information here instead.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Just happened upon your post. I have seen this also. From what was explained to me by our printer was that it is a trapping issue. It also occurred only in the color proof stage and in RIP stage. The file was not converted to PDF.

    They had been in contact with Adobe, though I haven't heard if there was any resolution to the problem. For us, it only occurred on text that is placed over an image that had been made transparent.

    Hope there's an explanation out there for this!
    Amy_Rebella@adobeforums.com Guest