Professional Web Applications Themes

Why does Fireworks retain a "link" to its Textures? - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi, If i'm posting too much questions here, someone tell me.. ;) It seems I have been spending more time with Fireworks than sharing stuff.. Anyway, the topic pretty much explains my question I hope. I created an Object. I used a Texture called Stars which I made myself. Now I update my Texture (adding more stars), but my Objects *using* that Texture don't show the updated Stars Texture. If I restart Fireworks it still is the same. Only until I choose a new Texture at the bottom where it says "Other..." it updates the graphic and ONLY that graphic. ...

  1. #1

    Default Why does Fireworks retain a "link" to its Textures?

    Hi,

    If i'm posting too much questions here, someone tell me.. ;)
    It seems I have been spending more time with Fireworks than sharing stuff..

    Anyway, the topic pretty much explains my question I hope.
    I created an Object. I used a Texture called Stars which I made myself.
    Now I update my Texture (adding more stars), but my Objects *using* that
    Texture don't show the updated Stars Texture. If I restart Fireworks it
    still is the same.
    Only until I choose a new Texture at the bottom where it says "Other..."
    it updates the graphic and ONLY that graphic.

    If I remove the Texture from my Textures folder it still displays in my
    Objects after opening it.

    Why not make a link to the Textures instead? Then again, who updates his
    Textures frequently? Copying that Texture might actually increase
    filesize which is the other side of the medallion.

    --

    Kind regards,

    Coen Naninck
    _______________________________

    Please, don't E-mail me about Fireworks questions. Post them on the Forum.

    If you are sending me a file on my own request for help purposes,
    then please include the thread subject header.

    E-mail : ccnk at home.nl

    ================================
    Enhance Fireworks with these Productivity Resources

    DevNet

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/[/url]

    Styles

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/articles/style_samples.html[/url]
    [url]http://wetworks.nl/freestyler[/url]
    [url]http://richiebee.ca/fireworks.htm[/url]

    Flash Panels

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/studio/articles/fw_command_in_flash.html[/url]

    Coen Naninck Guest

  2. #2

    If you linked to the texture file itself, users would have to have that
    texture installed for it to work... as it is, you can share files with
    others, the textures appear on their systems regardless of whether they have
    the specific texture installed. This makes more sense to me, though I can
    definitely see your point of view.

    This is the same theory as your, and my favourite thing - styles... a style
    doesn't have to be installed on a users machine for them to see something
    created by someone else with a particular style installed... it means you
    can work with others sharing a single source file rather than having to
    share a whole wad of files...

    In this day and age of huge hard drives, I don't think space is quite the
    premium commodity it once was... convenience seems to have become a
    significant factor in deciding these things...

    Rich

    "Coen Naninck" <ccnkHAHAhome.nl> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > If i'm posting too much questions here, someone tell me.. ;)
    > It seems I have been spending more time with Fireworks than sharing
    stuff..

    > Anyway, the topic pretty much explains my question I hope.
    > I created an Object. I used a Texture called Stars which I made myself.
    > Now I update my Texture (adding more stars), but my Objects *using* that
    > Texture don't show the updated Stars Texture. If I restart Fireworks it
    > still is the same.
    > Only until I choose a new Texture at the bottom where it says "Other..."
    > it updates the graphic and ONLY that graphic.
    >
    > If I remove the Texture from my Textures folder it still displays in my
    > Objects after opening it.
    >
    > Why not make a link to the Textures instead? Then again, who updates his
    > Textures frequently? Copying that Texture might actually increase
    > filesize which is the other side of the medallion.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Coen Naninck
    > _______________________________
    >
    > Please, don't E-mail me about Fireworks questions. Post them on the Forum.
    >
    > If you are sending me a file on my own request for help purposes,
    > then please include the thread subject header.
    >
    > E-mail : ccnk at home.nl
    >
    > ================================
    > Enhance Fireworks with these Productivity Resources
    >
    > DevNet
    >
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/[/url]
    >
    > Styles
    >
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/articles/style_samples.html[/url]
    > [url]http://wetworks.nl/freestyler[/url]
    > [url]http://richiebee.ca/fireworks.htm[/url]
    >
    > Flash Panels

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/studio/articles/fw_command_in_flash.html[/url]

    Richiebee Guest

  3. #3

    Very well put. I like your wording alot by the way!!
    But just this: Styles do not contain Textures in them, only Texture
    information. And I also know why, but that just is the controversy...
    Styles are just like Commands, they contain Fireworks API script, no
    actual 'hard' content.

    Coen