Professional Web Applications Themes

Why does Sharpen/Sharpen More increase my Export filesize? - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi, Can anybody tell me why the "Sharpen" and "Sharpen More" commands increase my Export filesize? Coen...

  1. #1

    Default Why does Sharpen/Sharpen More increase my Export filesize?

    Hi,

    Can anybody tell me why the "Sharpen" and "Sharpen More" commands
    increase my Export filesize?

    Coen

    ccnk Guest

  2. #2

    How much of a filesize increase are you seeing? I would tend to think that
    it is because normally contiguous pixels in the stream of the same color
    facilitate compression. When you Sharpen/Sharpen More, your tend to break
    up those contiguous "pixel blocks" of like color, and hence decrease the
    compression factor/efficiency.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "ccnk" <ccnkHAHAhome.nl> wrote in message news:3F77A27E.10800home.nl...

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anybody tell me why the "Sharpen" and "Sharpen More" commands
    > increase my Export filesize?
    >

    > Coen

    Sam Poikail Guest

  3. #3

    "ccnk" <ccnkHAHAhome.nl> wrote in message news:3F77A27E.10800home.nl...

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anybody tell me why the "Sharpen" and "Sharpen More" commands
    > increase my Export filesize?
    >

    > Coen

    This is normal. Without getting into too many tech details, compression
    works better when you have large contiguous areas of the same color
    (especially for GIF) or very smooth gradient (especially for JPEG). Ideally,
    when the whole picture consists just of one single solid color, compression
    works best. The more variations, the more color transitions, the more sharp
    details, the more noise you have, the less the compression efficiency will
    be.

    And sharpening, naturally, is just the procedure for increasing local
    contrast - that is, for making adjasent pixels MORE DIFFERENT in color. It
    will decrease compression efficiency, for most images, most sharpening
    algorithms, most compression schemes. So what you see is normal and rather
    expected. However, the file size increase normally is quite tolerable; it is
    reasonable price for image sharpness and quality.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    [url]http://photoshop.msk.ru/[/url] - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "How did I get into this mess? I really don't know how. We
    seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." - C3PO, Star Wars

    Ilya Razmanov Guest

  4. #4

    Ilya and Sam, thanks for explaining this to me. It also makes good
    sense. I always seperated the ideas/beliefs of compression from
    sharpening. I thought that if you would sharpen it, this wasn't related
    to the compression - that they were two things apart.
    Anyway, thank you for telling me.

    Ilya Razmanov wrote:
    > "ccnk" <ccnkHAHAhome.nl> wrote in message news:3F77A27E.10800home.nl...
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Can anybody tell me why the "Sharpen" and "Sharpen More" commands
    >>increase my Export filesize?
    >>

    >>Coen
    >>

    > This is normal. Without getting into too many tech details, compression
    > works better when you have large contiguous areas of the same color
    > (especially for GIF) or very smooth gradient (especially for JPEG). Ideally,
    > when the whole picture consists just of one single solid color, compression
    > works best. The more variations, the more color transitions, the more sharp
    > details, the more noise you have, the less the compression efficiency will
    > be.
    >
    > And sharpening, naturally, is just the procedure for increasing local
    > contrast - that is, for making adjasent pixels MORE DIFFERENT in color. It
    > will decrease compression efficiency, for most images, most sharpening
    > algorithms, most compression schemes. So what you see is normal and rather
    > expected. However, the file size increase normally is quite tolerable; it is
    > reasonable price for image sharpness and quality.
    >
    > Ilyich.
    > Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    > [url]http://photoshop.msk.ru/[/url] - Photoshop plug-in filters
    > "How did I get into this mess? I really don't know how. We
    > seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." - C3PO, Star Wars

    I hope this helps,

    Coen

    "People will always talk about you, especially when they envy you and
    the life you live. Let them... you affected their lives, they didn't
    affect yours."
    _______________________________
    Please, don't E-mail me about Fireworks questions. Post them on the Forum.

    E-mail : ccnk at home.nl
    ================================
    Enhance Fireworks with these Productivity Resources

    *** DevNet ***
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/[/url]
    *** Styles ***
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks/articles/style_samples.html[/url]
    [url]http://wetworks.nl/freestyler[/url]
    [url]http://richiebee.ca/fireworks.htm[/url]
    *** Flash Panels ***
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/studio/articles/fw_command_in_flash.html[/url]

    ccnk Guest

  5. #5

    "ccnk" <ccnkHAHAhome.nl> wrote in message news:3F797971.7030703home.nl...
    > Ilya and Sam, thanks for explaining this to me. It also makes good
    > sense. I always seperated the ideas/beliefs of compression from
    > sharpening. I thought that if you would sharpen it, this wasn't related
    > to the compression - that they were two things apart.
    > Anyway, thank you for telling me.
    You should understand that compression efficiency ALWAYS depends on image
    content. That is, the compression scheme and setting are important, but it
    is also important "what you are about to compress". This dependence may be
    stronger or weaker regarding to paticular content and particular compression
    scheme, but you should not be suprpized by the fact that editing image in
    this or that way change its "compressability".